Drink driving ban dual citizens

Convicted Driver Insurance

Austin111

I am a dual national of Britain and South Africa. Usually I leave Britain on my U. K passport and enter SA on my return. I am facing a drink driving charge. I blew 56 and will plead guilty and face the penalty imposed. The problem is I would like to return to the South Africa on holiday later in the year. I have researched the Internet and I understand that many people face visa problems. I also believe that my British passport will not be flagged unless I have a warrant for my arrest which will not be the case. Does anyone have experience of travelling with a DD ban and are dual citizens?

I am a dual national of Britain and South Africa. Usually I leave Britain on my U. K passport and enter SA on my return. I am facing a drink driving charge. I blew 56 and will plead guilty and face the penalty imposed. The problem is I would like to return to the South Africa on holiday later in the year. I have researched the Internet and I understand that many people face visa problems. I also believe that my British passport will not be flagged unless I have a warrant for my arrest which will not be the case. Does anyone have experience of travelling with a DD ban and are dual citizens?
Just extra info. I don't need a visa as I am also a SA citizen.

You can enter South Africa on your U.K. passport and remain for up to 3 months without a visa, after which you have to leave for a month before you can return. Unless you want to remain for more than 3 months I would just do it that way and there are no visa requirements to worry about.
On that basis I cannot see that a drink drive conviction here will have any impact on your visit to South Africa Other than, as you say, that you would not be able to drive. You could look at getting a South African driving licence and sitting a test again and holding a South African licence as well as your U.K. one (but you would still not be able to drive here) but there are residency requirements that could make that complicated.

You can enter South Africa on your U.K. passport and remain for up to 3 months without a visa, after which you have to leave for a month before you can return. Unless you want to remain for more than 3 months I would just do it that way and there are no visa requirements to worry about.
On that basis I cannot see that a drink drive conviction here will have any impact on your visit to South Africa Other than, as you say, that you would not be able to drive. You could look at getting a South African driving licence and sitting a test again and holding a South African licence as well as your U.K. one (but you would still not be able to drive here) but there are residency requirements that could make that complicated.

Thank you so much for your reply. It is for my daughters wedding and I will return to the UK after the trip. I appreciate your help.

I only have experience of entering SA on my UK passport a number of times at OR Tambo airport where I find them to be very welcoming. The only reminder that Africa is a very different place is the heat scan checking for signs of Ebola!
People have asked me if I am worried about that disease but I point out that people travel from West Africa (where it was prevalent) to the U.K. far more than they do from West Africa to South Africa..........

I only have experience of entering SA on my UK passport a number of times at OR Tambo airport where I find them to be very welcoming. The only reminder that Africa is a very different place is the heat scan checking for signs of Ebola!

Yes! I think that they have more things to worry about than my DD. As long as I comply with the conditions of the driving ban and not be more foolish as what I have already been.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off