Drink driving abroad with UK licence

Convicted Driver Insurance

nanu97fly

I have been stopped in Hungary for Drink driving which I never should have doneand won't do again. I had to send my licence to Hungary because I had an official address there and the court banned me from driving in Hungary for a year and I have to do an exam there to get back my licence. Also, I had an exchanged drivng licence from Hungarian to UK one. My question is what can I do here in the UK to drive here because I have been banned only in Hungary.
Thank you!

I agree with Topchippy, but with Hungary in eu you shouldn't be able to drive in Europe at all I'd have thought. Also believe only UK courts have jurisdiction over bans on uk licences if that makes sense, in other words Hungary can't take your licence off you with it been uk licence but they can impose a ban throughout Hungary and most likely rest of Europe if that makes sense

Edited because I didn’t read the original post properly!
You have a problem!
You cannot get a Hungarian one back, because you are banned there And in effect ‘gave up your licence cheer when you exchanged it for a UK one.
But as you exchanged it for a UK one, you could apply to DVLA for a duplicate. I am not sure if the Hungarian authorities will simply return your old UK licence directly to you, or if they will forward it to DVLA but either way, there is nothing to stop you having a copy of your UK licence and driving anywhere except for Hungary.
You now hold a UK licence, so the requirement to sit an exam in Hungary will only be a problem if you plan to drive in Hungary again.
The requirement to sit an exam cannot be overruled because you now have a UK licence.

Last edited:
See my amended post above, I gave the original advice based on reading the post as he had exchanged a UK licence for a Hungarian one, whereas it was actually the other way round.
I have amended the advice I gave to reflect what his position actually is!

Edited because I didn’t read the original post properly!
You have a problem!
You cannot get a Hungarian one back, because you are banned there And in effect ‘gave up your licence cheer when you exchanged it for a UK one.
But as you exchanged it for a UK one, you could apply to DVLA for a duplicate. I am not sure if the Hungarian authorities will simply return your old UK licence directly to you, or if they will forward it to DVLA but either way, there is nothing to stop you having a copy of your UK licence and driving anywhere except for Hungary.
You now hold a UK licence, so the requirement to sit an exam in Hungary will only be a problem if you plan to drive in Hungary again.
The requirement to sit an exam cannot be overruled because you now have a UK licence.
I believe after the ban expires and I do the test what they are require me to do I will get back my UK licence which I gave to them. I am planning to do that test there as I’m travelling to Hungary almost every year as my parents live there and planning to drive there.

As I said in the beginning I’m only banned in Hungary and they have requested my UK driving licence based on a Hungarian law (I had my licence with me when tire police stopped me but they didn’t take my license straight away because they didn’t know what to do with a foreign licence. originally I had a Hungarian licence which I have exchanged to the UK one). I have not found anything on mutual respect of driving disqualification between the UK and EU nor UK and Hungary.

My question is what can I do to get a duplicate of my UK driving licence to be able to drive here as I’ll be back to work soon and would be better to drive than take the bus. Also, I don’t want to cause more trouble for my self then I have always caused with my stupidity.

I believe after the ban expires and I do the test what they are require me to do I will get back my UK licence which I gave to them. I am planning to do that test there as I’m travelling to Hungary almost every year as my parents live there and planning to drive there.

As I said in the beginning I’m only banned in Hungary and they have requested my UK driving licence based on a Hungarian law (I had my licence with me when tire police stopped me but they didn’t take my license straight away because they didn’t know what to do with a foreign licence. originally I had a Hungarian licence which I have exchanged to the UK one). I have not found anything on mutual respect of driving disqualification between the UK and EU nor UK and Hungary.

My question is what can I do to get a duplicate of my UK driving licence to be able to drive here as I’ll be back to work soon and would be better to drive than take the bus.
Your not banned in the uk and exchanged your Hungarian licence for a uk one so just go onto the DVLA website and get a replacement. Link below

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency - GOV.UK

Replace a lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed driving licence

That is right but it also says if you‘re disqualified you cannot apply for a replacement that is the other issue why I’m confused about it.
But your applying for a uk licence and you are banned in hungary which has no baring on being able to drive in the uk. Just apply and get a replacement quite simple

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off