DR1 form followed by letter to GP

Convicted Driver Insurance

Louise41

Can anyone help.
I rang the DVLA about getting a licence to drive a bus. I told them in October 2017 I saw my GP for advice on binge drinking.
I have sent back the DR1 form stating the date in October and that I drank large units and had memory loss. I do bot binge now.
Now I have a letter saying they are writing to my GP. What will they ask the GP?
If they do take my license will it back date from October or start from now? Basically if I loose my license I loose my job and home!

They will ask your doctor to comment on any alcohol relTed issues in the past 6 years.
the timescale for you to be without your licence will depend on which category they see you in.
1. Alcohol misuse.
this involves your licence suspended for 6 months from when they are satisfied that the misuse has stopped, or 12 months for HGV or PCV licence holders.
2. Alcohol dependence
As in no 1, but the time scales are 12 months and 3 years.
3. Alcohol related seizure - which can include blackouts.
As in no1, but this time the timescales are a minimum of 6 months from a single seizure for cars and 5 years for HGV or PCV licence holders.

you can read about it here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drug-or-alcohol-misuse-or-dependence-assessing-fitness-to-drive

Many thanks for your help.
But will they take my license from the date I saw the doctor or the date they finish the inquiry. As it's way over 6 month since I saw my GP and had any issues

It will be since the last episode, not from the enquiry finishing, so that could be good for your car licence but not good for wanting a PCV one.
but I would be unpredictable if they only stuck to misuse, rather than dependence from what you described about your circumstances.....
they ask your doctor about the last 3 years, not 6, a typo on my iPad!

Last edited:
Thanks again.
I only want to keep my car license now.
Do you think I'd need a medical too? Not that it matters..I just want a final decision asap. The waiting is so stressful and because my current job means I travel far for work I've also started looking at jobs closer to home as a back up plan.
I am going to my GP this week and if they want to do blood test etc I thought having that to give to the DVLA will speed up my case.

Also
Are you thinking I'd be classed as dependant?
I was counting on misuse. Is that because I admitted to memory loss after binge drinking.

It might be classes as misuse if it was only for a short time, if you saw you doctor a few times over a period of time, and then after seeking and being offered help you suffered a blackout then I think it would fall into dependence.

I think the biggest issue will be that I told the GP I binged on n off over a few years. Terrible for me. I wish I never sought help also I'd of never contacted the DVLA unless I wanted to change my license. My GP has told me he sees me as no risk and that I wasn't dependant and never have been. But readi g on here it's more of a tick box sheet they send the GP and not his opinion. If that's the case it's not good for me. I wish I could see exactly what they will ask the GP.but I can't find that information anywhere.
Thanks again for your help.
Once i know I'll update you.

Sorry to hear that.
My update is.
My GP has returned my form. I asked to see it first. They did put I had seen the GP back in October 2017. She put I was no risk and since that date I only drank 4 units on special occasions. She did put a tick to misuse within 3 years.
I have done lots of research and the outcome seems to be. I will loose my license for 6 months for misuse from the date the DVLA finish the enquiries ( so in the next few weeks)
It seems totally unacceptable considering I have conformation from my GP stating no problem or risk since October 2017.
I'll let you know when I hear back!
Oh and the above all relates to my car...I won't be applying for a higher license now!

I have done lots of research and the outcome seems to be. I will loose my license for 6 months for misuse from the date the DVLA finish the enquiries ( so in the next few weeks)
It seems totally unacceptable considering I have conformation from my GP stating no problem or risk since October 2017.
I'll let you know when I hear back!

Hi Louise, all the best with that one. I don't know specifically what detail the GP will pass to the DVLA (if any) but, apart from the level of alcohol intake (I had put down 'None' on the DR1), I was granted a restricted 1-year licence 5 months after I surrendered mine. chain of events for me:

Chronically drinking - led to a GGT that indicated I was probably dead. Doctor speaks to DLVA for advice and phones me up telling not to drive and suggests surrendering licence. License surrendered to DVLA outlining 'alcohol and diet' as cause. Stopped drinking so I could get the 'all clear' from GP. I was unaware of any DVLA rules at this stage.
+1 Month - After further bloods, Doctor certifies me fit to drive.
+2 Months First DR1 and application submitted after further checks from Gastro scan and Alcohol rehab (walk-in) services - DHI ??. Resumed driving and Happy for a month while they checked with GP. 6-month misuse/12-month dependency thing arrived telling me not to drive.
+3 Months. Application forms/DR1 arrive from DVLA. Promptly filled in (admitted misuse/dependency question - 'No' to the rest) and sent off. 2 weeks later, letter informing of further checks being made with GP
+5 Months. Restricted licence appears on their website

Not once was I specifically told 'I had abused' or 'I was dependent' but 5 months is still under what their rules state. Don't want to give false hopes here and purely state what happened for me as a demonstration that they are not completely rigid.

Bacchus.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
All opinions and outcomes are so divided, there is no pattern or set rule to what the DVLA decide on similar if near identical situations.
Your post gives me hope...it will be so detrimental to me not having a license as I'll loose my job as I need to drive whilst at work.
I was simply binge drinking on weekends etc as I'm sure most of the population do! My biggest mistake was discusing with my GP. I never drove even the following day after alcohol. I always took time to allow the alcohol to leave my system. It really makes me mad that the penalties applied to myself are as harsh as people who drive whilst under the influence.
I'll keep you posted?

At the risk of sounding argumentative I will give you an entirely different perspective.

I was simply binge drinking on weekends etc as I'm sure most of the population do!

I would strongly disagree that most of the population binge drink at the weekend or atleast the very vast majority do not if they rely on their driving licence.

It really makes me mad that the penalties applied to myself are as harsh as people who drive whilst under the influence

You have had no penalty applied, no ban, no criminal record etc so not nearly as harsh nor the same. They have simply refused you a licence because misuse has been flagged.

It always amazes me that people think they have an automatic right to a driving licence. The DVLA have a responsibility to ALL road users so any hint someone may be pose a danger they have a duty to act on that and take appropriate action within their guidelines.

Therefore, if you do not meet their requirements for whatever reason they will not issue you a licence until you have satisfied those requirements. Whilst this may seem harsh it is for the benefit of everyone else on the road

As a professional driver the standards expected of you are much higher than an ordinary driver(Am not preaching here! I have a letter from DVLA that states that and your will arrive soon sorry Liouse

Hewi you have actually offered NO advice but judged my situation. I have NO interest in your opinion...I came on here for advice not judgement. So jog on to someone else's thread!
If you read the roles before you sign up to this site. It clearly states NO Judgement.
You haven't even understood what I have wrote!

Hewi you have actually offered NO advice but judged my situation. I have NO interest in your opinion...I came on here for advice not judgement. So jog on to someone else's thread!
If you read the roles before you sign up to this site. It clearly states NO Judgement.
You haven't even understood what I have wrote!

Calm down dear.......

Advise wasn't intended nor offered and I haven't judged you either.

Most of my post wasn't opinion it was either information or facts as to why you are in the situation you are in. You obviously didn't understand how the DVLA work. Perhaps you do a little better now.

My only opinion was about your view that most of the population binge drink at the weekend which I disagree with. If you can't accept someone disagreeing with you kindly don't express your own opinion or simply don't use the general discussion section (clues in the name)

My update.
My GP sent the form back. Stating i binge drank in October 2017. I was then sent for a DVLA medical. Which they paid for. I was honest and said in the last year i had binge drank 7 or more times.I hadnt had any alcohol for 5 weeks before medical.
10 days later i have received a 3 year license and will need to do a medical again in 3 years.
Thanks for people who took the time to offer advice, and best of luck to anyone reading this.

My update.
My GP sent the form back. Stating i binge drank in October 2017. I was then sent for a DVLA medical. Which they paid for. I was honest and said in the last year i had binge drank 7 or more times.I hadnt had any alcohol for 5 weeks before medical.
10 days later i have received a 3 year license and will need to do a medical again in 3 years.
Thanks for people who took the time to offer advice, and best of luck to anyone reading this.

What about the higher Licence Louise

Hi All….
I had a CDT test 3 months ago that came back high as I’d been drinking occasionally and a bit more than recommended units during the 3 weeks before. I was then told by a company Dr to surrender my license.
Ive had my new CDT results back yesterday and it was at 1.3, so well within normal range. The test result says:
Negative - No evidence of alcohol abuse.

Will the DVLA accept the results that I’ve printed off as evidence that I’m ok to drive, attached to my new application?, or would I now have to involve my GP (who’s not been evolved in any of this process, as it’s all been dealt with by a private toxicology company?)
Thanks in advance for any information or advice.👍

Hi All….
I had a CDT test 3 months ago that came back high as I’d been drinking occasionally and a bit more than recommended units during the 3 weeks before. I was then told by a company Dr to surrender my license.
Ive had my new CDT results back yesterday and it was at 1.3, so well within normal range. The test result says:
Negative - No evidence of alcohol abuse.

Will the DVLA accept the results that I’ve printed off as evidence that I’m ok to drive, attached to my new application?, or would I now have to involve my GP (who’s not been evolved in any of this process, as it’s all been dealt with by a private toxicology company?)
Thanks in advance for any information or advice.👍
Hi, simply answer no, you will probably have to demonstrate 12 months of sobriety and supply medical evidence through your Gp for you to be granted a 1 year temporary licence….

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off