Does anyone have experience with 'non-owner insurance'?

Convicted Driver Insurance

SMD

Looking for a bit of help and advise, if possible. I am in court on Monday and looking at a 17-22 month ban, minus the DD course reduction. I dont want to sell my car and a friend has very generously offered to taken on 'non-ownership insurance' for me, I will obviously be paying for that insurance.

I've been looking into this and she can get the car insured on this basis, and I will cancel my existing insurance on Monday. However, I cannot find any information about whether this is acceptable if I have a driving disqualification. She will only be driving it once / twice a month to keep the engine ticking over, and to take it to its MOT in August. Her brother lost his license and her Mum is doing the same for him.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has gone down this route, and are there any pitfalls / legalities that I need to be aware of? Also, what address should be used when looking at these quotes, the car will stay on my drive, but I need to use her address to get the quote, so was wondering which address should be used.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for a bit of help and advise, if possible. I am in court on Monday and looking at a 17-22 month ban, minus the DD course reduction. I dont want to sell my car and a friend has very generously offered to taken on 'non-ownership insurance' for me, I will obviously be paying for that insurance.

I've been looking into this and she can get the car insured on this basis, and I will cancel my existing insurance on Monday. However, I cannot find any information about whether this is acceptable if I have a driving disqualification. She will only be driving it once / twice a month to keep the engine ticking over, and to take it to its MOT in August. Her brother lost his license and her Mum is doing the same for him.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has gone down this route, and are there any pitfalls / legalities that I need to be aware of? Also, what address should be used when looking at these quotes, the car will stay on my drive, but I need to use her address to get the quote, so was wondering which address should be used.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Absolutely no idea why your deciding to go down the insurance road another party when your banned average 18mths approx
Am only assuming the friend is willing to take the V5 ownership then for what?
Keeping an engine warm isn't exactly cost affective whilst you can sorn the vehicle and like you mentioned its on your own driveway!
So the car ticking over once a month is nonce and what your deliberating is insurance fraud.
Reality check your banned no licence no insurance there's no way around keeping the car insured ! An for what purpose unless its your name changed ownership & address

Absolutely no idea why your deciding to go down the insurance road another party when your banned average 18mths approx
Am only assuming the friend is willing to take the V5 ownership then for what?
Keeping an engine warm isn't exactly cost affective whilst you can sorn the vehicle and like you mentioned its on your own driveway!
So the car ticking over once a month is nonce and what your deliberating is insurance fraud.
Reality check your banned no licence no insurance there's no way around keeping the car insured ! An for what purpose unless its your name changed ownership & address
The friend doesn't need to take ownership of the vehicle, they can insure the vehicle in their name using non-owner insurance. I suspect they're doing it this way because they don't want to give the person ownership of their car (the more previous owners, the less value the car is worth).

I can't see where insurance fraud comes into this? As long as they state to the insurance company where the vehicle will be parked (overnight address I think it's called), how is that insurance fraud?

I must have missed something, or not read what you've written properly.

The friend doesn't need to take ownership of the vehicle, they can insure the vehicle in their name using non-owner insurance. I suspect they're doing it this way because they don't want to give the person ownership of their car (the more previous owners, the less value the car is worth).

I can't see where insurance fraud comes into this? As long as they state to the insurance company where the vehicle will be parked (overnight address I think it's called), how is that insurance fraud?

I must have missed something, or not read what you've written properly.
Well that's new to me non ownership insurance and I apologise for misinterpreted

Just don't get the whole debacle of insurance swaps to keep an engine warm on your own drive ?
The OP stated the car would be used once maybe twice to keep the engine 🤔
The car will not deteriorate just sorn it and tick the engine over running the car once a month insured won't have any benefits other than the OP costs

Last edited:
Well that's new to me non ownership insurance and I apologise for misinterpreted

Just don't get the whole debacle of insurance swaps to keep an engine warm on your own drive ?
The OP stated the car would be used once maybe twice to keep the engine 🤔
The car will not deteriorate just sorn it and tick the engine over running the car once a month insured won't have any benefits other than the OP costs
No worries, I wasn't aware of non ownership insurance before seeing it on this forum either, I thought the car always had to be in the main policy holders name. It was a new one on me also.

Yeah I agree about the part about running it for a couple of days a month, it hardly seems worth it, especially if they are paying for it. I'm not sure why the friend isn't paying for the policy, since they'll be using a car, for free (minus the cost of fuel).

I'd probably sell the vehicle or at least put the vehicle in the friends name, so they can get their own insurance policy. I've read online that non owner policies are a lot more expensive than having a policy on a vehicle you own. The reason for this is because you're less likely to care about a vehicle that isn't yours and be more likely to crash it (read online). If the car is on the OP's drive and the person insured on it doesn't live at the address (I assume they don't), the insurance will be more expensive, just as it would be if you wanted to insure a car that wasn't parked outside your house or in a locked garage.

I transferred the policy over to my then O/H when I was convicted, and then when we separated (long story) I insured one of my folks on it for a year.

It might have been more straightforward just to sell it, but I didn’t want to. I encountered no problems throughout, other than explaining to the insurers why. Honesty is always the best ‘policy’ when it comes to insurance, excusing the play on words.

I agree with Craig, if it were me I would SORN it and save yourself the money. There’s no need to have it being driven a couple of times every month provided you look after it. Start it up and let it sit in the drive for 20 minutes to charge the battery and keep the engine active. Keep it clean and reposition it occasionally (obviously within the confines of your drive and private property) to prevent any flat spots on the tyres.

By the time your disqualification is up you will likely need to have routine maintenance carried out on it anyway, such as replacing the coolant and brake fluid, irrespective of whether someone is driving it or not. Personally I would spend the money you would save on insuring and taxing it to get this done as well as a full service when your ban is over.

Although should you still want to have your friend drive it then what you suggest is perfectly legal. Just make sure that the insurance policy states the car is owned by you as well as your address listed as the overnight address with your friend’s actual address listed under her details. If you ultimately decide to do this then Xero is right, it will be more expensive as your friend isn’t the owner but I would still urge you to keep the car registered in your name - do not transfer it. Potential can of worms scenario if you do

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off