Do we need a solicitor?

Convicted Driver Insurance

rose78

My 21 yr old son has just been caught. Blew 45 so hoping for lesser end of the ban with option for 25% reduction with the course. He's not had his licence for 2 years so should he expect to have to re-take his test afterwards? What is the difference between extended test and standard test? Court case in 2 weeks.
Not sure we can afford a solicitor,or even if its worth it as it seems fairly straight forward? (although a bit odd how he was caught. Basically looks like the town council followed him via cctv as he was seen with a bottle of beer on the high st and then enter the car park., they must have alerted the police as they stopped him even though there was no suspicious driving). Regarding the court case, he should be quite able to speak for himself, but should he also write a letter, in which case, to whom? He was advised by the police that it may be unlikely the duty solicitor on the day would be available for him as it is not a custody case and they take priority. But in any case even if he did get the duty solicitor there wouldn't be time for him/her to build up a reasonable knowledge of my son? Any advice appreciated. Thank you

An extended re-test is not usually ordered for a drink driving matter and is usually reserved for dangerous driving convictions. The fact that your son is in the first two years will not automatically mean he has to re-sit a standard test or otherwise. The two year period applies where 6 or more penalty points are applied for offences committed during that period. A ban will not have the same effect.

A reading for 45 is towards the lower end of the lowest sentencing bracket. The court can impose a ban of between 12 and 16 months together with a fine. I would advise that, if attending without representation, your son at least obtain some written character references to assist with him addressing the court. Character references can be form a personal or professional background and should be addressed to the court to assist them in making their decisions. They should be signed by the maker and in original form.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off