Do I need to include photo for my licence renewal?

Convicted Driver Insurance

sillynurse

Hi I am about to send my D1 form to reapply for my licence. I was under the impression I do not need to include a photo as they would take this from my current passport which I only renewed a couple of months ago. I am doubting myself though, do I need to include a passport sized photo or can they use the one from my passport? Thanks all.

Hi I am about to send my D1 form to reapply for my licence. I was under the impression I do not need to include a photo as they would take this from my current passport which I only renewed a couple of months ago. I am doubting myself though, do I need to include a passport sized photo or can they use the one from my passport? Thanks all.
Hi, I'm pretty sure you can use the one from your passport.
Surely the D1 form will say this and have space for you to fill this in?
Doesn't the D1 form come with an attached part that explains the different parts of the D1 though?
It would be well worth checking out DVLA INFD1 leaflet or website to check as the last thing you want is for your forms to be rejected.
Either that or a quick visit to the post office and ask staff rather than spend the 6 quid or whatever for one photo.
In saying all of that, Stu, who provided the other answer gave the easiest solution!

Last edited:
It depends on the length of validity of your (nul) licence. If it only has a couple of years remaining, you will be issued a new licence until that date. If you send in a photo, you will get a ten year one. More DVLA convoluted bureaucracy .

It depends on the length of validity of your (nul) licence. If it only has a couple of years remaining, you will be issued a new licence until that date. If you send in a photo, you will get a ten year one. More DVLA convoluted bureaucracy .
It isn’t bureaucracy, what they want is an up to date photograph on your licence. Everyone has to have a new photo licence after 10 years, the ‘pause’ in your entitlement to drive due to disqualification has no effect on this, so if there is 2 years left to run on the photo, that is the length of licence that is issued. New photo = a 10 year licence.

Hi, I'm pretty sure you can use the one from your passport.
Surely the D1 form will say this and have space for you to fill this in?
Doesn't the D1 form come with an attached part that explains the different parts of the D1 though?
It would be well worth checking out DVLA INFD1 leaflet or website to check as the last thing you want is for your forms to be rejected.
Either that or a quick visit to the post office and ask staff rather than spend the 6 quid or whatever for one photo.
In saying all of that, Stu, who provided the other answer gave the easiest solution!
No its not clear. That's what I was hoping, that they'd use my passport one so I didn't have to send one. But its not clear so I'm asking for advice here

No its not clear. That's what I was hoping, that they'd use my passport one so I didn't have to send one. But its not clear so I'm asking for advice here
If you fill in the section on the reverse of the D1 With your passport number and sign below it, that gives DVLA authority to use your passport photo as the photo for a full 10 year driving licence.

If you fill in the section on the reverse of the D1 With your passport number and sign below it, that gives DVLA authority to use your passport photo as the photo for a full 10 year driving licence.
Thank you that's what I was hoping as I've only just renewed my passport in may. It just wasn't clear to me last night when I was filling it all in.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off