Do I need to declare Conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

Ray1212

Hi,

I lost my licence in Northern Ireland 3.5 years ago. I received a 15 month ban and a fine. Since then, I have been living in London and have recently passed my test.

My licence has come and when I've checked my online counterpart, under 'disqualifications and convictions' there is nothing.

I definitely put my conviction on my application and even had a letter from DVLA saying my application had been delayed as they were waiting on confirmation from the northern Ireland licensing authority.

My question is, due to the fact that my license is in essence 'clean', does this now mean my conviction is 'spent' and I no longer need to declare it to insurers?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Raymond

You need to declare it.

DVLA records and police records are two different things. When insurance companies ask for convictions over five years they ask because legally you have to declare it for five years before it is spent.

Not declaring a DD conviction is something where an insurance company will definitely argue they.wouldnt have insured you, and it would require minimal investigation since court convictions are publicly available. That means, although they will pay any third party, they both won't pay your claim and they will seek to recover all the third party costs as well. If that bankrupts you so be it but often they seek to chase it over a number of years so they get more money.

You may get away with it in the sense they don't dig unless you have an accident, although insurance companies have sophisticated fraud databases now so even that isn't guaranteed. But you are in all sorts of trouble if you have an accident.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off