Disclosure at interview due to enhanced DBS

Convicted Driver Insurance

cretin

Hi all,

Still applying for jobs and was wondering if anyone has advice on how to bring up a DD conviction at an interview.

My conviction is over 5 years old and is considered spent but I know it will appear on an enhanced check. I plan to disclose it at the interview and was wondering if anyone here has done the same and has any advice? I don't expect it to have an impact on the role but would want to bring it up in the best way possible. Is it best to be brief? What is important to mention? Appreciate any and all advice.

Hi all,

Still applying for jobs and was wondering if anyone has advice on how to bring up a DD conviction at an interview.

My conviction is over 5 years old and is considered spent but I know it will appear on an enhanced check. I plan to disclose it at the interview and was wondering if anyone here has done the same and has any advice? I don't expect it to have an impact on the role but would want to bring it up in the best way possible. Is it best to be brief? What is important to mention? Appreciate any and all advice.
Be honest. Bring it up but don't dwell on it. Say it was a one off, a mistake that thousands make every year, and it won't happen again. If you don't and get the job, they will find out about it eventually.

As to how the interviewers react! Well, that all depends on their attitude towards Drink Driving, but the chances are that they know someone that has been convicted already.

Hi all,

I did not put on in my application but I didn’t want to be judged prior to meeting me and I know I come across well in an interview scenario; I was just honest and said I was embarrassed as it doesn’t reflect my integrity etc they were great about it checked with HR that is wasn’t a problem and also told me an employer had lost here licence whilst being at her job for some time. Go with the flow of the interview and if it’s meant to be it will be fine.

I did not put on in my application but I didn’t want to be judged prior to meeting me and I know I come across well in an interview scenario; I was just honest and said I was embarrassed as it doesn’t reflect my integrity etc they were great about it checked with HR that is wasn’t a problem and also told me an employer had lost here licence whilst being at her job for some time. Go with the flow of the interview and if it’s meant to be it will be fine.
Cheers for this. I haven't put it on my application either for the same reason. I think I will do well at an interview but I'm aware it's never a sure thing, regardless of convictions.

The conviction itself is one of the reasons I want to go into this career, but I'm worried it might come across as me bullshitting or putting a positive spin on it.

Cheers for this. I haven't put it on my application either for the same reason. I think I will do well at an interview but I'm aware it's never a sure thing, regardless of convictions.

The conviction itself is one of the reasons I want to go into this career, but I'm worried it might come across as me bullshitting or putting a positive spin on it.
I wouldn't put it on my application form either. It isn't relevant to the job unless it is a driving job you are applying for. I was working when I lost my licence and fully expected to have to resign, but I was told that this would be discriminatory against non drivers.

So it seems like the criminal offence aspect was ignored (or perhaps not understood.)

I wouldn't put it on my application form either. It isn't relevant to the job unless it is a driving job you are applying for. I was working when I lost my licence and fully expected to have to resign, but I was told that this would be discriminatory against non drivers.

So it seems like the criminal offence aspect was ignored (or perhaps not understood.)
Yeah, since it's spent I don't intend to disclose it generally when applying for roles.

This current one I'm applying for is subject to an enhanced DBS where it will come up regardless of being spent or not. I think it's 'filtered' after 10 years and won't even appear on an enhanced DBS anymore.

Since it'll come up anyway I plan to get out ahead of it, I doubt it'll affect my chances since it's not a violent crime, but am wondering what the best way to bring it up is (in an interview).

Yeah, since it's spent I don't intend to disclose it generally when applying for roles.

This current one I'm applying for is subject to an enhanced DBS where it will come up regardless of being spent or not. I think it's 'filtered' after 10 years and won't even appear on an enhanced DBS anymore.

Since it'll come up anyway I plan to get out ahead of it, I doubt it'll affect my chances since it's not a violent crime, but am wondering what the best way to bring it up is (in an interview).
I would be open and honest, if they are the right company for you they will understand and support this.

I got caught 2 weeks before starting a new job, they had ordered a new car and were extremely annoyed but grateful I told them as soon as it happened and supported me over the 3 year ban.. I was very surprised! As someone mentio its likely they know someone already that has and in this case the owners Brother not long before me.

Honesty is the best way, I hope it goes ok for you which I’m sure it will.

Just as an update, had the interview and it felt like it went quite well.

I disclosed it at the end and the interviewers seemed understanding and appreciated me coming forward with it. They said it wouldn't play a part in my suitability for the role which was very surprising. When mentioning it I kept it brief and related it back my interest in the role which felt right.

Overall, I still feel extremely shit about it. It was actually my first time speaking about it to anyone except friends/family and I can't say it was pleasant. Despite it being 'spent' the guilt and shame are definitely still there. It certainly makes it hard when other people seem to be understanding since I still haven't forgiven myself for it.

I appreciate all the help and encouragement from the people here. I don't think I would've had the courage to go for it otherwise.

Just as an update, had the interview and it felt like it went quite well.

I disclosed it at the end and the interviewers seemed understanding and appreciated me coming forward with it. They said it wouldn't play a part in my suitability for the role which was very surprising. When mentioning it I kept it brief and related it back my interest in the role which felt right.

Overall, I still feel extremely shit about it. It was actually my first time speaking about it to anyone except friends/family and I can't say it was pleasant. Despite it being 'spent' the guilt and shame are definitely still there. It certainly makes it hard when other people seem to be understanding since I still haven't forgiven myself for it.

I appreciate all the help and encouragement from the people here. I don't think I would've had the courage to go for it otherwise.
I did the same at an interview, except I raised 'The Elephant in the Room,' at the beginning because I wanted to see their reaction. It was actually very understanding and they were happy to see I had left that period in my life well behind.

I did the same at an interview, except I raised 'The Elephant in the Room,' at the beginning because I wanted to see their reaction. It was actually very understanding and they were happy to see I had left that period in my life well behind.
Mine were the same, both seemed pretty understanding (at least outwardly). I'm not sure they understood that since it was a while ago it is spent and not an issue in most situations.

My main issue us just personally dealing with it. Bringing it up like that really brought back the shame/regret of when I initially got convicted. I just can't imagine them being totally ok with it since I haven't forgiven myself for it.

Mine were the same, both seemed pretty understanding (at least outwardly). I'm not sure they understood that since it was a while ago it is spent and not an issue in most situations.

My main issue us just personally dealing with it. Bringing it up like that really brought back the shame/regret of when I initially got convicted. I just can't imagine them being totally ok with it since I haven't forgiven myself for it.
I think generally people will look at how handled the situation and came out the other side much stronger, if they have judged you for a mistake rather than the efforts you have put in to turn your life around then simply I wouldn’t be giving them the time of day.

Good luck and keep us posted 🤞 I hate interviews haha!

Hi all,

Cretin

Just out of interest - what is the nature of the prospective job if it requires a enhanced DBS check? If the job only requires a DBS background check, I can't see any reason why you need to bring it up if the conviction is spent.

CJ

Cretin

Just out of interest - what is the nature of the prospective job if it requires a enhanced DBS check? If the job only requires a DBS background check, I can't see any reason why you need to bring it up if the conviction is spent.

CJ
It's in education, so working with kids. The application stated it was subject to an enhanced DBS with a barred list check.

Since it's not a barred list conviction I assumed it wouldn't be the end of the world. However, I decided to tell them since they'd see it on the enhanced check (to the best of my knowledge). If I tried to slip it past them it wouldn't exactly be a great example of my trustworthiness.

My main issue is that there's obviously a stigma around it and I don't doubt they'd rather have a candidate with no conviction. Which is shitty, since it's a role I'm very interested in, but I guess that's how it goes with this stuff.

Maybe I'll just wait until it gets filtered, lol.

I think generally people will look at how handled the situation and came out the other side much stronger, if they have judged you for a mistake rather than the efforts you have put in to turn your life around then simply I wouldn’t be giving them the time of day.

Good luck and keep us posted 🤞 I hate interviews haha!
Yeah, I just feel like there could be so many people involved in the hiring process who have different opinions on it. At least it's all experience I suppose.

Thank you, still waiting to move ahead with the employer from another thread so I'll look to put an update there as well. Hopefully this experience can at least be beneficial for others going through the same process.

It's in education, so working with kids. The application stated it was subject to an enhanced DBS with a barred list check.

Since it's not a barred list conviction I assumed it wouldn't be the end of the world. However, I decided to tell them since they'd see it on the enhanced check (to the best of my knowledge). If I tried to slip it past them it wouldn't exactly be a great example of my trustworthiness.

My main issue is that there's obviously a stigma around it and I don't doubt they'd rather have a candidate with no conviction. Which is shitty, since it's a role I'm very interested in, but I guess that's how it goes with this stuff.

Just to give you some hope. I was 'forced' to retire from my job at the end of 2016 at 59 due to issues mainly attributed to my alcoholism. I have been sober now for 3.5 years so have recently been trying to get back into some part-time work and put my CV onto some employment agency websites with obviously no mention of driving bans in the CV.

A job opportunity arose recently with the organisation I used to work for, although in a different department, and I thought, why not just go for it and see what happens.

Well, I got an interview, and was upfront about the Drink Driving, but after reading the job spec knew it wasn't for me. However, the interviewer said they would pass my details on to the department I used to work for as they knew they were looking for contract workers. So after 6 years I thought, why not give them a call and put into practice Step 9 of AA, 'Make amends to those you have harmed.' I called and spoke with the self same people that had been there at the same time as me, apologised for what I had put them through by having to pick up the slack from me, and thanking them for trying to help me.

The result is I am now just about in a position to sign a contract for 3 days a week remote working helping out someone who is in need of additional technical support, and I'm 65.

I obviously have an advantage as I know the technical aspects of the role and can slot in almost immediately, but it is demonstrative that having a drink driving conviction (or 2 in my case,) is not the end of the World and that not everyone see the stigma attached to it.

Hi all,

Hi
I’m a registered nurse and have managed to secure employment with 2 Dui’s. Normally they’ll put a risk assessment in place but don’t let it hold you back
Just be honest and upfront

Hi
I’m a registered nurse and have managed to secure employment with 2 Dui’s. Normally they’ll put a risk assessment in place but don’t let it hold you back
Just be honest and upfront
I think they said something similar during the interview where it would be a case of managing it rather than upfront rejection. In any case, I haven't heard back so I think it's fair to say I didn't get it.

Think I'll just be looking to apply to jobs without enhanced disclosure. I felt absolutely awful after the interview and don't think it's worthwhile to put myself through it again, especially when I'm likely to be passed up.

I was honest and said put I had a DD conviction on the application form as I had to have an enhanced DBS for the job. I still got the job and just explained that it was a one off at a friends birthday party. And this is an NHS job working with vulnerable people. I got convicted over 6 years ago and am a HRO. I need to be able to drive really for my job as I will be out in the community and I need to book my medical. I’ve an appointment with my GP to discuss what it says on my medical records about alcohol because even though I’ve never been to see a GP about any alcohol related issues you never know.

Well done Cretin in getting the job. Believe it or not there are quite a lot of teachers still working in their profession with convictions for drink driving so I wouldn't get too hung up about it. Lots of us on this forum still get worked up about our past mistakes, but the reality is - most people out there don't actually give a toss about us commiting a DD offence in yesteryear.

CJ

Well done Cretin in getting the job. Believe it or not there are quite a lot of teachers still working in their profession with convictions for drink driving so I wouldn't get too hung up about it. Lots of us on this forum still get worked up about our past mistakes, but the reality is - most people out there don't actually give a toss about us commiting a DD offence in yesteryear.

CJ
Sadly didn't get the teaching job, but found something else which really suits me. Also had an offer for another job which involves driving and the employer didn't even ask. I suppose things do eventually get better lol.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off