Disclosing DR10 & spent conviction period question

Convicted Driver Insurance

Ste

Hi all,

Back in August 2006 I was done for drink driving, breath reading 68mg, I got a 16 month ban and a £120 fine. I then attended a course to reduce the ban to 12 months. My question is regards the 1974 act disclosure etc. Am I right in thinking I have to disclose the ban for all jobs etc untill August 2011 - 5 years since the date of conviction? I have disclosed it on jobs and put it down as a 12 month ban as that is what I served thanks to attending the course.

I hope this is right.. Any help appreciated. A little tip for convicted drivers regards insurance - classic car insurance policys are MUCH cheaper! Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Back in August 2006 I was done for drink driving, breath reading 68mg, I got a 16 month ban and a £120 fine. I then attended a course to reduce the ban to 12 months. My question is regards the 1974 act disclosure etc. Am I right in thinking I have to disclose the ban for all jobs etc untill August 2011 - 5 years since the date of conviction? I have disclosed it on jobs and put it down as a 12 month ban as that is what I served thanks to attending the course.

I hope this is right.. Any help appreciated. A little tip for convicted drivers regards insurance - classic car insurance policys are MUCH cheaper! Cheers

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 enables some criminal convictions to become 'spent' after a certain period of time, the 'rehabilitation period'. The rehabilitation period depends on the sentence imposed rather than the offence committed.

If multiple sentences are imposed then the longest rehabilitation period applies. For driving disqualifications the rehabilitation period is the length of the driving ban. They will become 'spent' once the disqualification period is over. For fines the rehabilitation period is 5 years so you are correct in your calculations and your conviction will become 'spent' in August 2011.

Last edited:
So if i'd not been fined I wouldn't of had to of disclosed it? But because I received a ban and fine I have to disclose for 5 years.

So if i'd not been fined I wouldn't of had to of disclosed it? But because I received a ban and fine I have to disclose for 5 years.

If you received a ban and no fine the conviction would be classed as 'spent' at the end of the driving disqualification if no other sentence was imposed such as fines, probation, community service, prison etc.

Hi

Could you confirm:

If one receives a 12 month driving ban due to DR10, then the conviction is "spent" after 12 months, or 9 months if a driver awareness course is attended? That is if no fine is imposed?

And even so, what does that mean? does the criminal record go away? does it impact positively on future insurance costs? Does one have to disclose this still on job applications?

And I'm assuming that the licence is only "clean" after 10 years still?

Thanks for your help.

Hello !

I think I have the same problem; when a drink and drive conviction WILL BECOME "SPENT"?
Same as above I will say "back in 2006," March 23, the date when I was convicted for drink and drive for 18 months,(but reduced to 14 months after I attended the rehabilitation course) and £420 fine. A month ago, together with my wife we applied for UK british citizenship. Today we received the results at home: my wife application was approved and mine wasn't approved because they said ".....a person how has an unspent conviction."
Now, I want to ask some one who now better then me, can you tell me please for sure, when my conviction will become SPENT ?
I want to apply one more time for british citizenship but I want to know when can I do that?
Please, don't tell me to call Home Office, because I already did many times in the last day and nobody answer. i spoke for more then 1 hour at Brent Magistrates Court with someone but they didn't find my file or my case in there computer, so no news. This is ridiculous, but I don't know where to go. Is anyone here who can help please?
Thank you very much for your time!

Hello !

I think I have the same problem; when a drink and drive conviction WILL BECOME "SPENT"?
Same as above I will say "back in 2006," March 23, the date when I was convicted for drink and drive for 18 months,(but reduced to 14 months after I attended the rehabilitation course) and £420 fine. A month ago, together with my wife we applied for UK british citizenship. Today we received the results at home: my wife application was approved and mine wasn't approved because they said ".....a person how has an unspent conviction."
Now, I want to ask some one who now better then me, can you tell me please for sure, when my conviction will become SPENT ?
I want to apply one more time for british citizenship but I want to know when can I do that?
Please, don't tell me to call Home Office, because I already did many times in the last day and nobody answer. i spoke for more then 1 hour at Brent Magistrates Court with someone but they didn't find my file or my case in there computer, so no news. This is ridiculous, but I don't know where to go. Is anyone here who can help please?
Thank you very much for your time!

The rehabilitation period for a fine, after which your conviction will be classed as spent under The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 is 5 years. This means, that if you were convicted on March 23rd 2006, your conviction will not be classed as spent until March 23rd 2011, which is 5 years later.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your quick response! Hope is like that. Today I heard the same think but nobody was 100% sure about it. One more thing, today I went to a DVLA office here in North London and I ask them about my situation in this case. You know what they said after they verified my driving licence? "11 YEARS!" Can be this possible?
If you are right Taylor and if I can apply again next year, definitely we have to meat in London for a drink (without cars)
Tomorrow I will go to Magistrates Court to try to find there version regarding this conviction, and I will let you know.
Really I want to thank you very much for your replay !

Thank you very much for your quick response! Hope is like that. Today I heard the same think but nobody was 100% sure about it. One more thing, today I went to a DVLA office here in North London and I ask them about my situation in this case. You know what they said after they verified my driving licence? "11 YEARS!" Can be this possible?
If you are right Taylor and if I can apply again next year, definitely we have to meat in London for a drink (without cars)
Tomorrow I will go to Magistrates Court to try to find there version regarding this conviction, and I will let you know.
Really I want to thank you very much for your replay !

The drink driving offence will stay on your driving licence for a period of 11 years (a driving licence endorsement). The conviction itself will however be classed as 'spent' after 5 years under The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

Thank you very much! You really make me happy today. I will let you know tomorrow what I will find out from the Court and probably from Home Office. But hope you will be right! When I made my application I read there Guide for this application and at page 20 is a table with "HOW WILL A CONVICTION AFFECT YOUR APPLICATION?" and I was sure my case will be on the last line(position) of this table - the guide and page 20 is here http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/guide_an.pdf
Maybe I didn't understood very well but I still think H.O. wasn't very clear here.
Thanks again! If you have time please let me know what you think.
Best regards! Ovidiu

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off