Didn't send off Pass Certificate when I passed my test

Convicted Driver Insurance

cc2491

I was 18 when i passed my test in November 2009, and i didn't send off the Ceritifcate and Provisional to the DVLA in order for them to post me my full license back. I got caught drink driving in late January, and was convicted on March 1st 2010 (12 month ban, £250 fine). Because i didnt yet have my license card, the solicitor said i would need to take my pass certificate to court with me. So when i did, the court kept the certificate. So, when my ban nears its end, will the DVLA send me my full license back, even though i didnt send them the certificate when i first passed my test? Would the courts have passed on the certificate to the DVLA?

Thanks.

I was 18 when i passed my test in November 2009, and i didn't send off the Ceritifcate and Provisional to the DVLA in order for them to post me my full license back. I got caught drink driving in late January, and was convicted on March 1st 2010 (12 month ban, £250 fine). Because i didnt yet have my license card, the solicitor said i would need to take my pass certificate to court with me. So when i did, the court kept the certificate. So, when my ban nears its end, will the DVLA send me my full license back, even though i didnt send them the certificate when i first passed my test? Would the courts have passed on the certificate to the DVLA?

Thanks.

If you passed your test, you should receive your full driving licence once your ban expires.

You can contact the DVLA for all queries regarding your driving licence.

Going through similar, i passed in 2004 amd just re applied after a ban which ended 5 yrs ago, i passed all the tests and medicals, and got sent a provisional, called them and they said they did not recieve my pass certificate 15 yrs ago, so i must re sit ... im.hoping for a solution to this my self as re sitting is ot a thi g ne body wants to do...

Your pass certificate is only valid for 2 years, so even if you could not show that you did successfully pass your test, it seems you will still have to resit it.
You may be sure that you sent it off (but no doubt will not have proof of posting!) but if DVLA say it wasn’t received then it isn’t valid.
The best way for anyone else in this position is that if the full licence s not received within 3-4 weeks then a follow up enquiry should be made to see if it has gone missing. This allows for a duplicate to be obtained and submitted well within the 2 year timeframe.

This post is from 9 years ago so you probably won't get an answer from the original poster. When you were banned and you had to surrender your licence did you hand them over a pink photocard full UK licence?

The only advice I could give you is that if you handed over a pink licence you may have recourse. If not a pass certificate is only valid for 2 years so you will have to resit both the theory and the practical if the DVLA don't hold proof of entitlement.

Reading back through the posts from cc2491, it seems that he was based in Northern Ireland so in his case it was correct to be sent a provisional licence, everyone there has to resit both parts of the test after a conviction for drink driving.

This post is from 9 years ago so you probably won't get an answer from the original poster. When you were banned and you had to surrender your licence did you hand them over a pink photocard full UK licence?

The only advice I could give you is that if you handed over a pink licence you may have recourse. If not a pass certificate is only valid for 2 years so you will have to resit both the theory and the practical if the DVLA don't hold proof of entitlement.
When i got banned i had nothing to hand over as it was sent off, the dvla say that they can see that i have passed, i am just confused as to if they can see i passed why can they not issue the full license... bery stressful

How long after you had sent off the pass certificate were you banned? If you don't receive your full licence in the post within 4 weeks you should have chased it up.

Possibly the court ordered you to be retested when you were convicted and this is why you've been sent a provisional. Either way you won't get anywhere going back and forward with the DVLA, it's like talking to a brick wall. You would be faster just doing your test.

How long after you had sent off the pass certificate were you banned? If you don't receive your full licence in the post within 4 weeks you should have chased it up.

Possibly the court ordered you to be retested when you were convicted and this is why you've been sent a provisional. Either way you won't get anywhere going back and forward with the DVLA, it's like talking to a brick wall. You would be faster just doing your test.
I was banned about 6 months after i passed, was young an stupid,i wasnt ordered to resit as the dvla say the reason is they did not receive the cert, i was jus wondering if there was apoint in persuing

If you had 6 months from sending away your cert until ban you should have had your licence, by not chasing it up at the time it sort of leaves your hands tied now. The time it will take to possibly persue this with the DVLA will likely take longer than redoing your test.

I'm currently redoing my test and honestly it's much less stressful than the first time, the driving test success app is only £5 on the app store and has everything you need to pass the theory.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off