Didn’t cancel insurance after ban received.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mr-stupid

Hi

So I’m currently servicing a 26 month ban for DD10, currently 13 months in. With the DD course that should take it to 19 1/2 months. Which is around end June/ Start July. Which I can’t wait for total regret and will never ever be doing that stupid mistake again.

However I was banned the middle of November 2017. But I let my insurance policy carry on until March when it ended. Due to not wanted to have the car stolen. I never made any claim on it. And as a result the insurance company sent me through my 7 years NCB.

Now my question is, I know I probably should’ve cancelled the policy, but my state of mind wasn’t in the right place after the court hearing and cancelling insurance was the last thing on my mind tbh. I know I should’ve made someone else the main driver or just cancelled it.

But when I come to getting a new insurance policy next year will there be implications when showing my NCB due to my ban starting November and previous insurance expiring in March ? If it is a problem am I likely to lose my whole 7 years NCB or will they accept it as 6 years NCB.

Thanks.

You have paid for, and have, 7 years NCB. You can use that on a future policy providing it is within 2 years of the expiry of the last policy.

Obviously don't get a policy from the same insurer. Your NCB is valid but it has been known for insurers to clock when you get another policy, and ask for the extra premium.

You have paid for, and have, 7 years NCB. You can use that on a future policy providing it is within 2 years of the expiry of the last policy.

That’s great. Thank you was the one thing that’s been worrying me as my insurance will be expensive enough didn’t want to also lose those.

Obviously don't get a policy from the same insurer. Your NCB is valid but it has been known for insurers to clock when you get another policy, and ask for the extra premium.

Yeah I won’t. Yeah thought they might notice when my ban started to when insurance finished. But if I have to pay a premium to keep my NCB thats fine.

Hello everyone, I carried on paying N.F.U for two years after my DR.30 conviction, it was a total waste of money, they quoted me 1,375 when I was about due to get my licence back in 2017, I went onto go compare, I am now in the second year of being back on the road paying 989 per year, and that is me paying up front for 12 months, I was stupid, but at the time my wife had just been told she had terminal cancer, I lost my darling on 12/10/2016, just 1 year and six day's from conviction, the magistrates would not take mitigating circumstances into consideration, I was 56 when the ban was imposed, and will be 66 when it will be spent, I know it is the law, but I've been punished enough by the loss of my wonderful little wife.

Hi Gerd,

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your wife passing away. It sounds heartbreaking to loose someone you love at that stage of life.

If it helps, your conviction will be spent after five years, not ten. It remains on your driving licence for eleven years only as a record because you get a longer ban if caught for a second time in ten years.

With the magistrates, for better or worse they simply aren't allowed to take life circumstances into account. They are obliged to follow their sentencing guidelines which state that spiked drinks or short distance driven are the only mitigants they can consider when sentencing.

I'm sympathetic - I lost a family member recently too - but truth is you have to decide when you are fit to drive. Head not in the right place = don't drive.

Hi Gerd,

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your wife passing away. It sounds heartbreaking to loose someone you love at that stage of life.

If it helps, your conviction will be spent after five years, not ten. It remains on your driving licence for eleven years only as a record because you get a longer ban if caught for a second time in ten years.

With the magistrates, for better or worse they simply aren't allowed to take life circumstances into account. They are obliged to follow their sentencing guidelines which state that spiked drinks or short distance driven are the only mitigants they can consider when sentencing.

I'm sympathetic - I lost a family member recently too - but truth is you have to decide when you are fit to drive. Head not in the right place = don't drive.

Hi TipsyNurse, so my conviction date was 06/07/2015, then I should be ok to go for a driving job after 06/07/2020, is that correcy...

Yes. They are not allowed to ask you about spent convictions or treat you unfavourably after that date. If they do ask you don't need to disclose.

Nope, five years.

Ten years is only the minimum three year ban for a second offence, and eleven years is how long it stays on your licence. Everything else is five years.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off