Declined Licence

Convicted Driver Insurance

BigTom

Established Member
So, my story so far - I'm a HRO and was due my licence back last August. Applied 3 months prior, no medical was offered but DVLA wrote to my Dr. I was eventually declined due to my Dr saying I had previously been misusing alcohol. I went to see Dr, and she was totally upfront and said she put it as she saw, and within the past 3 years it was evident that I had misused. Couldn't argue with this and therefore took the extended delay of 6 months for my licence on the chin.

January this year I reapplied, no drink since June '19 so had fulfilled the 6 months abstinent requested on my decline letter. This time offered DVLA medical, which I attended. Again, DVLA wrote to my Dr. After weeks of chasing I was declined again. Called DVLA and they said was issue with my medical but wouldn't give details over phone. Few days later got a letter saying my CDT was 0.6% but they were declining as I was deemed to be alcohol dependent and now had to prove 12 months abstinence!!

Went to see GP on 10th March (really difficult to get in due to the start of this Virus), and Dr said the form was filled in by a colleague who read my report differently and classed me as dependent..... My GP was in agreement that I had never been dependent, and agreed to write to DVLA. Now after a few days the virus really started to kick in, there was a 2 hour delay on the phone to Dr surgery so couldn't get a response as to what they sent to DVLA. Last week I called DVLA and was told nothing received so endured and called GP and was waiting in queue for 2.5 hours before I spoke to receptionist. To be fair, given all the stuff going on she was really helpful and eventually confirmed that the GP had written to DVLA and this was sent on 13th March. She said I could pop to the surgery, ring the bell and they would pass me a copy of the letter sent (which from behind gowns, masks etc. they did).

I got this letter on 20th March, sent it recorded delivery which arrived with DVLA on 21st March. Called today for an update, they said not received anything still, despite me saying the recorded delivery showed otherwise. They won't accept an emailed copy from me, saying that if I want to get my Dr to email to them from an 'nhs.net' email address they will accept - given total lockdown we are in, there is no chance of this!

My GP letter explains that the forms were not filled in by her, she has spoken to her colleague who filled in the forms and explained my situation and they have agreed that I am not, and never have been dependent. My alcohol usage has in the past been deemed as misuse based on emotions rather than any physiological reasons.

I've been asked to call the DVLA back on Friday to see if they have the letter yet, but I have had my £90 application fee was refunded by cheque today (although not the £98 medical fee).

Any thoughts on my chances of them overturning the 'dependent' label and are they likely to issue my licence? Presume I will have to pay the £90 again, can they accept this over the phone as I doubt they will accept me tearing up the cheque....?

Hi big Tom, first of all your GPs input is for guidance only and I think you'll find that the final decision will rest with DVLA, so therefore being labelled dependant is a very realistic fact,(I've been down this road with a GPs `letter and they wouldn't over turn their decision) so therefore I am labelled misuse/dependant, however mantank was labelled the same `in the summer and he did challenge them, it took a few months but he did get it overturned to misuse and was issued a full ten year licence......

Hi big Tom, first of all your GPs input is for guidance only and I think you'll find that the final decision will rest with DVLA, so therefore being labelled dependant is a very realistic fact,(I've been down this road with a GPs `letter and they wouldn't over turn their decision) so therefore I am labelled misuse/dependant, however mantank was labelled the same lastsummer and he did challenge them, it took a few months but he did get it overturned to misuse and was issued a full ten year licence......

After months of to and fro, chasing DVLA for updates and hitting brick walls, they have issued my licence today:D.

As expected it is a 1 year licence, however this is fine. After mistakenly being labelled as dependant by a Doctor (who I have never seen before) at my surgery, my own GP wrote a letter saying that I was guilty of misuse over the years, but no evidence of dependence. This has been going on since January/February. Obviously they have overturned the dependent tag and instead agreed with my GP that I have misused.

The positivity of this forum helped keep me going. 6 months extra punishment for an overzealous comment from a doctor, however I'm glad it is now all over.

Yes well done mate for all your hard work great result albeit a medical review licence, just remember if your licence does run out when you renew agian you can drive on a section 88, as you are now classed as a MEDICAL CONDITION (y)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off