Declaring DR60 to Insurance Company

Convicted Driver Insurance

bWg

Hi. I got caught retrieving some fags from my car in pub car park 4 years ago. Got convicted of DR60 and received 10 points which is now spent as of 09/02/18.

My question is do I have to declare it when asked if I've had any convictions in the last 5 years as DR60 is spent 4 years from date of offence.

I've done online licence check and both points and code have gone from my licence.

I have declared it on this year's insurance but will be asked next year obviously and insurance is due 9 days before the 5 year point.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I got caught retrieving some fags from my car in pub car park 4 years ago. Got convicted of DR60 and received 10 points which is now spent as of 09/02/18.

My question is do I have to declare it when asked if I've had any convictions in the last 5 years as DR60 is spent 4 years from date of offence.

I've done online licence check and both points and code have gone from my licence.

I have declared it on this year's insurance but will be asked next year obviously and insurance is due 9 days before the 5 year point.

Thanks in advance.

I honestly have no idea why you are asking! You simply need to answer the insurers questions HONESTLY.

Don't lie or your insurance could be invalid

As it's spent do I have to declare it if asked if I've had any convictions in the last 5 years as I don't see how insurance company could check?

They asked me if I've ever been banned to which my response was No.

I have been banned 13 years ago but I don't have to tell them.

So I'm just unsure if for the sake of a week when my insurance is due next year if I have to declare a spent conviction even if it happened within 5 years.

Thanks

As it's spent do I have to declare it if asked if I've had any convictions in the last 5 years as I don't see how insurance company could check?

They asked me if I've ever been banned to which my response was No.

I have been banned 13 years ago but I don't have to tell them.

So I'm just unsure if for the sake of a week when my insurance is due next year if I have to declare a spent conviction even if it happened within 5 years.

Thanks

Does their question ask about spent convictions or does it ask about convictions in the last 5 years? Just answer their questions honestly.

If they ask you if you have ever been banned when you have and you answer no then you are lying. Just answer honestly.

What makes you unsure? If your conviction falls within the time frame they are asking then your answer is YES. Just answer honestly.

As for if and how they would find out. Who knows? If they do you could have your insurance invalidated and in a whole world of trouble.

In case you missed it, just answer HONESTLY!

I did answer honestly as it wasn't spent when I took out the policy this year.

I might as well just wait 8 days next year then I won't have to declare it.

I'm unsure because there's so many conflicting things online..As I don't have to declare a spent conviction there's no way I'm telling them I've been banned in the past.

I just don't know how it works as the DR60 is spent 4 years from date of offence so in theory I don't have to declare it when asked.

That said I'll just wait a few days.

Thanks

I did answer honestly as it wasn't spent when I took out the policy this year.

I might as well just wait 8 days next year then I won't have to declare it.

I'm unsure because there's so many conflicting things online..As I don't have to declare a spent conviction there's no way I'm telling them I've been banned in the past.

I just don't know how it works as the DR60 is spent 4 years from date of offence so in theory I don't have to declare it when asked.

That said I'll just wait a few days.

Thanks

I don't think you quite understand.

You have to answer their questions honestly. Which means spent or not is absolutely irrelevant. It depends on the exact questions they ask you. For example:

Have you ever been banned? You would need to answer YES

Have you been banned in the last 10 years? You can answer NO

Have you had any convictions in the last 5 years? You need to answer YES

Do you have any unspent convictions in the last 5 years? You would be able to answer NO (if it is spent)

Just answer the questions they ask. Otherwise you can look around for another insurance company who asks different questions that you can answer honestly. They vary with what they ask.

Either way the timescales involved wont make much of a difference with your insurance quote but they will invalidate your insurance for the slightest inaccuracy so its not worth the risk.

If there is any confusion simply ring them when your renewal comes with dates of any and all convictions. That way you'll get it right and can then decide whether to insure with them or not.

Also, if you are going to wait the 8 or 9 days make sure you SORN the car during that time.

Last edited:
My DR60 that I declared isn't on my policy as when it came to give them a check code it wasn't on my licence anymore so they removed it as it's spent.

My understanding from the many things I've read is I don't have to declare a spent conviction and don't have to disclose information on bans or other penalties which are spent and especially those not on my licence anymore.

They aren't allowed to use it against me but 1 quote I had quadrupled when they asked if I had ever been banned.

Ta

My DR60 that I declared isn't on my policy as when it came to give them a check code it wasn't on my licence anymore so they removed it as it's spent.

My understanding from the many things I've read is I don't have to declare a spent conviction and don't have to disclose information on bans or other penalties which are spent and especially those not on my licence anymore.

They aren't allowed to use it against me but 1 quote I had quadrupled when they asked if I had ever been banned.

Ta

Ok, I'm not going over this again.

Just answer their questions honestly, however they are worded is the best advice you can get. If you lie thats down to you (however you justify that to yourself)

You can explain to them why you didnt need to declare if they ever pull you up on it. They wont be sympathetic.

Good luck

bWg, You are mixing up 2 things. How long the DR60 remains on your licence, and when does it become a spent conviction.
you are right to say that it remains on your licence for 4 years, you are wrong to therefore assume that it is a spent conviction. The relevant time for that is 5 years, so it is discloseable for 5 years to the insurance company.
The correct answer to give is the answer on the day you take out the policy, not as it will be in 9 days time. As Hewl says, you could always SORN the vehicle for those days.
i am not aware of any insurance company that asks: “have you EVER been disqualified from driving?” If they did, you would have to declare it for life, so I advise you to chose another company! The standard questions are: “ have you been involved in an accident, received points or been disqualified in the past 5 years..... have you ever had a policy declined or cancelled?”

“ have you been involved in an accident, received points or been disqualified in the past 5 years..... have you ever had a policy declined or cancelled?

The highlighted part is worth a further mention.

If you do get caught out and your policy is cancelled it will make it very tough on your wallet to get further insurance. Having a policy cancelled or declined is something ALL insurers frown upon. You may find it near impossible to get insurance.

Price is correct so I hope his post has cleared up any confusion, although I don't feel you were really here for any advice as you seem to have already made your mind up. Just heed the warning. Is it really worth it??

I did a quote through confused.com and was never asked if I'd ever been disqualified so I rang the company I took policy with to query why this question was on my policy and why it had been answered "no"

Told me I'm a liar and cover went from £780 to over £3500.

So I cancelled and have put complaint in to confused and the ombudsmen as they are not allowed to use it against me

But thanks for clearing up that the dr60 is spent after 5 years. There's so many conflicting things online.

My policy automatically renews so I might aswell pay the 1st month and then cancel.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have looked at Confused.com and below is what they ask online, so I agree it is a puzzle as to where that section you have copied above comes from. Is there a link after you have selected the policy which takes you to a specific company where further questions are asked?
you always have to be honest in your answers to whaever questions are asked, but it is difficult to be honest if the question is not there in the first place...! The only other thing is if there is something in the form that you have shown that says “subject to the provisions of the Rehabilitation of offenders Act 1974, have you.........”

Claims & convictions[FONT=&quot]Any motor accidents or claims in the last 5 years?More information
Yes
No

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any motoring convictions, driving licence endorsements or fixed penalty points within the last 5 years?More information
Yes
No

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Do you have any unspent non-motoring convictions?More information
Yes
No

[/FONT]

Last edited:
When you renew are you not locked in for the full year? Cancelling after a month may not be an option. Have a look at their terms and conditions.

Unfortunately they have every right to ask you questions that you must answer honestly to be eligible for their insurance cover.

What makes you think they can't use it against you?? I would suggest they are not using anything against you, they are simply using your driving history to make an assessment of your risk. Your driving history will affect your quote thats why its imperative that you be upfront with them. Whether they fully check on your answers is anyones guess but they might and probably will as some point. I very much doubt that confused.com or the ombudsmen will be interested in the slightest.

You have already found out (when they called you a liar) that messing with them is not a good idea. Luckily, you were at a point where you could decide to accept their quote or not. If you had not queried this and accepted the lower quote and later were found out (in the event of an accident) that they will not cover you, then you are screwed.

I understand you don't want to pay a hike in insurance but you MUST be honest with them and either accept a quote, find a cheaper quote or do not drive!

Stop manipulating the questions to what answer suits you or what you think they are allowed to ask or not.

It never ceases to amaze me on here how people feel so hard done by here when faced with the consequences of what they have done.

I have said it god knows how many times, just be honest!

Nothing that I could see. I read through it all as I have problems every year trying to get insured.

Even when I had to declare the DR10 under the 5 years rule I never paid more than £1100 on my S3.

I've got no problem telling them I've been banned but from what I understand they can't use it to affect price so to go from less than a grand to over 3 is ridiculous as with an unspent DR60 in was accepted.

The company I'm with now read out their rules to me and then contradicted themselves by asking "any disqualifications".

I've never been asked this in the 11 years I've had my licence back until this year.

Just seems odd to me.

Just looking forward to a clean licence and no more being a berk.

At the time of my DR60 I honestly didn't realise I couldn't be leaning through a passenger door getting something if over the limit.

Just to clear up why it's failure to provide..gave roadside/carpark breath test,arrested for drunk in charge.

Got to police station,arresting officers cleared off.

Got in test room where the copper decides to tell me I've been arrested for drink driving.

I refused as said I hadn't.

Went months back and forth to court after being charged with drink driving and failure to provide.

Had to have a Newton hearing where the first thing the arresting officer admits is I was arrested for drunk in charge not drink driving.

So turns out if I'd have given a breath test and fought my case it would've been dropped but I committed an offence by refusing.

Lesson learnt..don't have car keys in your pocket or be anywhere near a vehicle after a drink.

When you renew are you not locked in for the full year? Cancelling after a month may not be an option. Have a look at their terms and conditions.

Unfortunately they have every right to ask you questions that you must answer honestly to be eligible for their insurance cover.

What makes you think they can't use it against you?? I would suggest they are not using anything against you, they are simply using your driving history to make an assessment of your risk. Your driving history will affect your quote thats why its imperative that you be upfront with them. Whether they fully check on your answers is anyones guess but they might and probably will as some point. I very much doubt that confused.com or the ombudsmen will be interested in the slightest.

You have already found out (when they called you a liar) that messing with them is not a good idea. Luckily, you were at a point where you could decide to accept their quote or not. If you had not queried this and accepted the lower quote and later were found out (in the event of an accident) that they will not cover you, then you are screwed.

I understand you don't want to pay a hike in insurance but you MUST be honest with them and either accept a quote, find a cheaper quote or do not drive!

Stop manipulating the questions to what answer suits you or what you think they are allowed to ask or not.

It never ceases to amaze me on here how people feel so hard done by here when faced with the consequences of what they have done.

I have said it god knows how many times, just be honest!

I'm not trying to get out of anything. I drove over the limit 13 years ago. Why would I start declaring thing I don't have to 8 years after they're spent?

I already accepted the quote based on truthful admissions of accidents and convictions.

I then rang and queried why they've answered a question I was never asked.

They then hiked my cover to over 3 grand.

I didn't lie. I answered all questions I was asked. The same questions I'm asked every year.

Thanks

I'm not trying to get out of anything. I drove over the limit 13 years ago. Why would I start declaring thing I don't have to 8 years after they're spent?

It is not up to you to decide if you dont need to declare or not. It depends entirely on exactly what question they asked you. Do you understand that?

Just use an insurer that asks the right questions to benefit you. Ones that give a time frame where you can answer no

Last edited:
Ok. So how do they check if I've ever been banned?

And nearly everything else I read says things like this

Last edited:
I always thought it was ILLEGAL under the rehabilitation of offenders act to discriminate against somebody because of a spent conviction (unless it is an exempt occurence - of which insurance is not)?
I'm confused.

I always thought it was ILLEGAL under the rehabilitation of offenders act to discriminate against somebody because of a spent conviction (unless it is an exempt occurence - of which insurance is not)?
I'm confused.
As has been said there are two different issues here.

Points remain on your licence for four years simply to allow totting bans, which cover three years plus the seven-ish months it can take to get to court.

The ability not to declare a conviction, and the protection from being asked about it, are from the Rehabilitation if Offenders Act which days you do not need to declare convictions after five years, which is why insurance companies typically ask for a five year history.

One is an administrative limit, one is a legal limit.

Not declaring serious motoring offences like DD is a dangerous business. Quite apart from the fact they have sophisticated anti-fraud databases, if you do have a crash DD causes such loading that the insurer could claim they would not have covered you if they knew the risk. In that instance although they would still pay out to the third party they can and do seek to recover their costs from the motorist. If that means taking your house or making you bankrupt, so be it.

The best advice is to declare it, and retain or request written confirmation of what you have declared, so there can be no debate in the event it is queried. If you have answered the questions truthfully the company cannot seem to void your policy.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off