DD reading of 53, 19, student

Convicted Driver Insurance

Michael.J

Hi there,

Im 19 years old and I am a student at Nottingham Trent University. I recently got arrested for DUI and a roadside reading of 51 and a lowest station reading of 53. Minimum ban of 12 months, I understand. I can't imagine any way in which I can appeal for leniency, except I study hard etc., but about the fine;

I have £1000 in my bank account, do I have to declare this on the financial forms? It is my university loan, and I have no job. So will I just receive the minimum £100 fine? Because I can't afford to be paying money out that I can't afford to lose. Is it advisable to take the money out of my account??

Thanks alot!
Mike

Hi there,

Im 19 years old and I am a student at Nottingham Trent University. I recently got arrested for DUI and a roadside reading of 51 and a lowest station reading of 53. Minimum ban of 12 months, I understand. I can't imagine any way in which I can appeal for leniency, except I study hard etc., but about the fine;

I have £1000 in my bank account, do I have to declare this on the financial forms? It is my university loan, and I have no job. So will I just receive the minimum £100 fine? Because I can't afford to be paying money out that I can't afford to lose. Is it advisable to take the money out of my account??

Thanks alot!
Mike

Hi,

Yes a 12 month ban in inevitable. There is no need to take your £1,000 out of your bank account. It is your student loan, the money you get to live on, just because you get paid your loan in several lump sums does not mean you will have to pay a higher fine, your loan needs to last you and be spread out over x number of weeks, the magistrates will be aware of this.

As for a plea of leniency, you study hard, you are living on a very very low financial allowance, clean driving history?, no previous criminal convictions?.

The aim is for the fine to have an equal impact on offenders with different financial circumstances; it should be a hardship but should not force the offender below a reasonable ‘subsistence’ level.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off