DD and No insurance, now going to AA meetings

Convicted Driver Insurance
Get there early, grab the duty solicitor - you may want to do a 'dummy rum' and go a few days before to get used to the place and find where the duty solicitor is located.
As you are pleading guilty, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just brief the solicitor on the points of your case and that he must ask for the DD course. You don't really need to say much just confirm your details (name, address, DoB) and what you are pleading
Think I'm the first one up. My hearing is at 9am but I will get here in good time to do all of those things you mention. Thanks man. It's really good to speak to someone who's been there

The thing that I was truly surprised about is how supportive my family were. And I hope was the same in your cases.

Literally, myself, my sister and mother were crying (my dad remained strong) but it was more because I went through it alone, I didn't tell them for 2 days. Obviously I got the slap on the wrist, but my mother was more concerned if I had hurt myself or somebody-else she's unsure how she could've lived with herself.

Definitely the worst experience I've ever faced in life - I've mentioned this before, although it's our own responsibility, I feel the government should really ramp home the consequences of DD from the off and hold a course as part of obtaining a Drivers License.

That it is!
You will be fine Reco. There is a thread where people post there convictions and bans - which can be quite cathartic to do.
Keep in touch on the forum (it's helpful re: DD Course/ insurance after ban etc)
I would suggest doing the course as early as possible, simply because loosing your driving license then gives you a license to drink! You learn a lot on the course about units/ alcohol, legal requirements and meet others in the same boat as you

I agree with Stuart, keep it simple from the DD perspective:

- Write a letter of apology - which you will give to the usher, who will then provide to magistrates and prosecutor. Print therefore 4 copies (possibly couple more for just in case-ies). State in that letter that you'd like to take the rehab course, state it would be beneficial for you to learn from.
Key topics to touch on:
  • Remorseful
  • Good character (state things that you do)
  • Will never happen again
  • Request rehab course

- I personally don't think you need a lawyer/solicitor (for the DD case anyway - unsure how you'd broach the insurance case)

From my own experience: not much detail was given in the court room from the prosecutor; they could've mentioned much more simply to embarrass me, I had a female passenger in the car, I got stopped when I turned into McDonalds. I had press in my room (I think); My case was boring and he seemed to have left halfway, it was a relatively low reading. However, could be in the press by November who knows; but it's unlikely, as the press in my area only comment on cases where there was an accident.

Edit: They might mention the speeding in court, but you're not being charged for this if it was not on your charge sheet
Hey sillysausage123,
So my day in court is nearly here and I'm absolutely bricking it. I am just putting together my letter of apology. Thank you for all your advice on this. I've found yours to be the most constructive and helpful. I'll post on here how I get on.
Any other mindful tips you can think of will be much appreciated

Hey sillysausage123,
So my day in court is nearly here and I'm absolutely bricking it. I am just putting together my letter of apology. Thank you for all your advice on this. I've found yours to be the most constructive and helpful. I'll post on here how I get on.
Any other mindful tips you can think of will be much appreciated

Hi Reco, drop me a PM if you want me to read it through and provide some critique

Thank you to everyone who advised me on this. Glad to say my court appearance is now over with and I am able to move on.
I was handed a 17 month ban, reduced to 13 months on completion of a rehabilitation course.
I was also fined £700
I am still attending AA but chose not to mention this to the magistrates. I've now been 4 weeks sober to the day.

What I'm not sure about is what to do with my license, or how I pay the fine or apply for the rehab course. I wasnt given any written documentation leaving the court and am in limbo.
Any pointers???

You can request for removal to Google after the ROHA period so I've read, but yeah the online version is the scariest for me. Sorry about that drew.

I've got a unique-ish name so that would be the absolute worst!
Hey, what is ROHA? I'm not aware of it and cant find info on what it stands for

Thank you to everyone who advised me on this. Glad to say my court appearance is now over with and I am able to move on.
I was handed a 17 month ban, reduced to 13 months on completion of a rehabilitation course.
I was also fined £700
I am still attending AA but chose not to mention this to the magistrates. I've now been 4 weeks sober to the day.

What I'm not sure about is what to do with my license, or how I pay the fine or apply for the rehab course. I wasnt given any written documentation leaving the court and am in limbo.
Any pointers???

When you accepted the offer of a course you would have nominated a provider you want to do the course with (but you can subsequently change your mind) you should hear from the provider within 14 days about the courses that are avIlable to you to book. If you do not hear from them you should contact them to make sure that the court have informed them about your details. Sometimes the court forget to do this so the provider shrugged chase them up for the paperwork.
The fine has to be paid to the court. There should have been some discussion about how you pay, I.e. all in one or fortnightly payments.
You should have surrendered your licence to the court. If they didn’t ask or you didn’t have it wi5 you then DVLA will write to you after a couple of weeks reminding you about the length of your ban and ask you to send them your licence in the post. Some people chose to not do this (needing the licence perhaps for proof of ID) that doesn’t really matter, but obviously the licence is not valid, nor will it be valid when your ban is up. You MUST apply for a fresh licence then.

Hi everyone.
Have read all the posts here. Really helpful advises for someone who is honest and don't know what to do in the court. Thanks to Reco Alco I foud this thread and have been in touch with Reco getting lots of help, support and advise! I blew 62 at the station. Was stopped just before midnight driving on empty road in Swindon. Copers just been there on they routine and saw the car going fast with intention to ignore red traffic light. Shit, I was doing maybe 50 on 40mph zone, which is dual carriageway way, kind of circular in Swindon. I have obviously respected red ligth and when it changed to green followed my way. I was some 800 yards to my mates house, where we were going, when police car with blue light pulled me over... The suspectd obviously that I was drunk. Called other car, they haven't got breathalyser. Two other cars came, I failed and was taken to the station. Where after blew 62 on the machine was put in the cell. Then was called for all the fingers and palms prints, and DNA sample... Big film... 5 hours later after anoter breathalyser and good result I was released but whit the charge forcing me to be in the court on 16/10/2019.
Following Reco Alco advice will write my letter, try to prepare my speech, dress smart if that makes difference for judges. Don't know what else I can do.
What I don't know is what the will asj and what to tell. We have been having drinks. Then I went with my mate back to my place to feed neighbours cats!!! Have been asked to do it whilst they have been away. Spent 10 minutes max doing that and we were going back... What I told them is that we have been having few drinks and chatting at my place. At some poit we decided to go to his place and I offere to drive, because I felt not drunk and thought we haven't had drinking a lot...
That's the story I have for judges... Will the ask me to tell the story? Or will they expect from me just a short apologetic speech? Will they check CCTVs along my route on that evening/night in the area? Will they try to give me community order? About the licence.... I've got EU license. Will they ask me to leave it in the court? Can I tell them that I haven't got with me and will post to DVLA later? Do they need my licence, as technically they can't ban it outside the UK, I think?
As you can see lots of questions. I think all the people who has been in my situation felt similar fears...
Thank you all in advance for any contribution!
Best regards
D

From my experience, and probably from Reco's they don't really go into depth about what happened that night, mainly that you 'drank so much alcohol that your breath was...'

If that's the case no need for you to bring it up, just apologise and try and get on with life.

It would be interesting to see where DD ranks in terms of criminal convictions...

From my experience, and probably from Reco's they don't really go into depth about what happened that night, mainly that you 'drank so much alcohol that your breath was...'

If that's the case no need for you to bring it up, just apologise and try and get on with life.

It would be interesting to see where DD ranks in terms of criminal convictions...
Sorry mate... I don't even want to know about criminal conviction.... Have enough pain with my simple case...
But thank you for replying!

Similarly, I was really only invited to speak after the charges have been read out and my plea has been given. You'll have the opportunity to speak and it's at that moment you can read your letter of apology.
The police and the prosecution will not go into granular detail, try not to panic about that.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off