Dbs report

Convicted Driver Insurance

jan01

Hi I have been offered a job but im worried that the dbs report will show my dd conviction and they won't want me to start. Had anyone else had this problem

Hi I have been offered a job but im worried that the dbs report will show my dd conviction and they won't want me to start. Had anyone else had this problem
It will show up for sure . Whether it effects the job offer I guess depends on the job . However , many people with convictions find employment : quite rightly . What is the job if you don’t mind saying ?

Jan01

If the DD conviction is less than five years old it is still disclosable to prospective employers I'm afraid.

Generally DD offences have no relevance to most employment unless it involves professional driving or where the employer has to insurer you to drive company vehicles. The only other line of work where a DD is a complete no-no is the police service - I don't think Home Office forces even employ civilian staff with minor cautions or convictions.

CJ

Hi Jan
It will always reflect well on you if you let prospective employers know about your DD conviction, and of course far preferable to them just finding out.
I wouldn’t necessarily bring it up at the beginning of an interview , as your focus will be on how you can make a positive contribution to their organisation. At the end you could say that there was something you would like to share with them. They will most times appreciate your willingness to be honest.
Many people see driving offences as non criminal, though there are always understandably people who may have issues with DD.
I am a nurse, and this has not impacted negatively on my ability to work, I have been valued for my experience and contribution and commitment to my patients.
Good luck
Jane

It will show up for sure . Whether it effects the job offer I guess depends on the job . However , many people with convictions find employment : quite rightly . What is the job if you don’t mind saying ?
It's a receptionist in a doctors surgery

Hi Jan
It will always reflect well on you if you let prospective employers know about your DD conviction, and of course far preferable to them just finding out.
I wouldn’t necessarily bring it up at the beginning of an interview , as your focus will be on how you can make a positive contribution to their organisation. At the end you could say that there was something you would like to share with them. They will most times appreciate your willingness to be honest.
Many people see driving offences as non criminal, though there are always understandably people who may have issues with DD.
I am a nurse, and this has not impacted negatively on my ability to work, I have been valued for my experience and contribution and commitment to my patients.
Good luck
Jane
Thank you so much x

How long ago was it? I had a DBS check in 2011 and it didn't show up my conviction from 1994.

Hobgoblin

There are different levels of DBS. A bog standard basic DBS will only tend to show unspent convictions. However, there are enhanced ones that are done for things like working with children or working in security roles where an old conviction from 1994 would potentially show up.

During my drink driving reduction course, the trainer did touch upon historic cautions and convictions. He said records are retained on the Police National Computer for up 15 years after the subject has died.

CJ

Hobgoblin

There are different levels of DBS. A bog standard basic DBS will only tend to show unspent convictions. However, there are enhanced ones that are done for things like working with children or working in security roles where an old conviction from 1994 would potentially show up.

During my drink driving reduction course, the trainer did touch upon historic cautions and convictions. He said records are retained on the Police National Computer for up 15 years after the subject has died.

CJ

Yes, it was a basic one IIRC.

Hobgoblin

CJ
This is not 100% correct -

My understanding is that for an enhanced DBS, if you have only one conviction this will be filtered out after 11 years

My understanding is that for an enhanced DBS, if you have only one conviction this will be filtered out after 11 years
I agree. I work in recruitment and there are a few categories that are never unspent but that is only people of 4+ Years in prison, sex offenders, paedophiles etc

Just reading through this and need advise on how to declare my conviction - I have two interviews coming up soon and I'm so hopeful about them! They both require personell checks and I just don't know whether to state in my interview OR wait and see IF I get a job offer first then tell them before they do the check :/

This of course depends on the nature of the conviction. If the subject has just one conviction, but let's say it is for something very serious from over 11 years ago (like murder or rape) then it will still show up.

Even if any less serious offences are removed after 11 years, you will still have a 'file' on the Police National Computer with a reference number and things like your name, DOB and your address at the time of the offence.

CJ

This of course depends on the nature of the conviction. If the subject has just one conviction, but let's say it is for something very serious from over 11 years ago (like murder or rape) then it will still show up.

Even if any less serious offences are removed after 11 years, you will still have a 'file' on the Police National Computer with a reference number and things like your name, DOB and your address at the time of the offence.

CJ
That’s cheered me up 😭😭😭

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off