DBS checks

Convicted Driver Insurance

waitey

Hello,
You may have seen my previous post about being convicted for drunk driving and I’m awaiting my court appearance in a couple weeks, however my enquiry is mainly about DBS checks etc, I read somewhere that it becomes spent after 5 years (so don’t have to declare and won’t appear on a basic check), then it is completely wiped from a DBS check after 11 years, but stays on the Police National computer of course, can anyone confirm if these statements are true or just a google myth?
Also, I am hoping to get a job in the scientific field (lab work), are there any chances a DUI conviction can prevent me from getting these jobs? My friends mum is pretty high up in the NHS and she said it won’t affect my application so long my job doesn’t include driving as part of the role, just wanted any confirmation on this as I’m a big overthinker lol. Found this forum to be very comforting in general, so thanks in advance.

waitey

Yes, a DUI conviction will flag up on a DBS for five years while it is unspent. Once it is spent, the conviction will not be disclosable on a basic or standard DBS, but it will still show up on a enhanced DBS for a number of years. I don't know how long for - it may be ten years.

A DUI will lay on file on the Police National Computer (PNC) database until up to 15 years after the person's death. Historical records are maintained of deceased people for X number of years because of measures that were needed for complex investigations like the Jimmy Saville affair, where the offender had been dead a number of years when new offences came to light.

Thankfully, potential employers outside the police and certain government departments will never have access to historic PNC records, so I wouldn't worry about this beyond the five years.

As for your question about your immediate career prospects - I can't really answer this one. However, DUI isn't a malicious offence and it isn't one that reflects on your personal integrity as an employee.

Believe it or not - the biggest profession who commit drink driving offences are nurses. The NHS has many people in medical roles who have fallen foul of the roadside breathalyser. Nurses are subject to misconduct sanctions, but this is merely a meeting to raise any concerns or action plans.

Given the overwhelming stress the NHS is facing in the months/years ahead, I very much think they will be making exceptions with DUI convictions in order to recruit and retain medical staff who are critically needed to allow the NHS to function properly.

I am sure you'll be fine in the long run.

CJ

Hello,
You may have seen my previous post about being convicted for drunk driving and I’m awaiting my court appearance in a couple weeks, however my enquiry is mainly about DBS checks etc, I read somewhere that it becomes spent after 5 years (so don’t have to declare and won’t appear on a basic check), then it is completely wiped from a DBS check after 11 years, but stays on the Police National computer of course, can anyone confirm if these statements are true or just a google myth?
Also, I am hoping to get a job in the scientific field (lab work), are there any chances a DUI conviction can prevent me from getting these jobs? My friends mum is pretty high up in the NHS and she said it won’t affect my application so long my job doesn’t include driving as part of the role, just wanted any confirmation on this as I’m a big overthinker lol. Found this forum to be very comforting in general, so thanks in advance.

Hello,
Hi, spent DUI does show up
waitey

Yes, a DUI conviction will flag up on a DBS for five years while it is unspent. Once it is spent, the conviction will not be disclosable on a basic or standard DBS, but it will still show up on a enhanced DBS for a number of years. I don't know how long for - it may be ten years.

A DUI will lay on file on the Police National Computer (PNC) database until up to 15 years after the person's death. Historical records are maintained of deceased people for X number of years because of measures that were needed for complex investigations like the Jimmy Saville affair, where the offender had been dead a number of years when new offences came to light.

Thankfully, potential employers outside the police and certain government departments will never have access to historic PNC records, so I wouldn't worry about this beyond the five years.

As for your question about your immediate career prospects - I can't really answer this one. However, DUI isn't a malicious offence and it isn't one that reflects on your personal integrity as an employee.

Believe it or not - the biggest profession who commit drink driving offences are nurses. The NHS has many people in medical roles who have fallen foul of the roadside breathalyser. Nurses are subject to misconduct sanctions, but this is merely a meeting to raise any concerns or action plans.

Given the overwhelming stress the NHS is facing in the months/years ahead, I very much think they will be making exceptions with DUI convictions in order to recruit and retain medical staff who are critically needed to allow the NHS to function properly.

I am sure you'll be fine in the long run.

CJ
Spent DUI does show up on a standard check. Only basic doesn't show it.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off