DBS check

Convicted Driver Insurance

idiot.

Hi, I was charged convicted of failure to provide in September. 12 month ban and a fine. If I were to do a basic or standard DBS check, will this show up?

Hi, I was charged convicted of failure to provide in September. 12 month ban and a fine. If I were to do a basic or standard DBS check, will this show up?
Just my basic understanding, but I would assume it would show up, owing to the fact it’s a criminal conviction rather than a traffic offence. After 5 years it’ll be spent unless of course your working in an industry where you “have” to declare it.

11 years from date of conviction

If the offence is: drink driving or drug driving - shown on the driving record as DR10, DR20, DR30, DR31, DR61 and DR80. causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs – shown on the driving record as CD40, CD50 and CD60

Thanks - so all of the below show up for 11yrs from the date? Didn’t realise it classes as a criminal offence 🥴
11 years from date of conviction

If the offence is: drink driving or drug driving - shown on the driving record as DR10, DR20, DR30, DR31, DR61 and DR80. causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs – shown on the driving record as CD40, CD50 and CD60

Just my basic understanding, but I would assume it would show up, owing to the fact it’s a criminal conviction rather than a traffic offence. After 5 years it’ll be spent unless of course your working in an industry where you “have” to declare it.
I don’t think it’s ever spent, it stays on your record forever

I’ve looked into this as much as I can & From what I can read on the internet although not much there, this only happens with specified offences. The list on .gov website doesn’t have failure to provide down as a specified offence.
On the Driver Rehabilitation course we asked this as some of us had jobs that depended on police checks etc, and we were told DD stays forever. I remember this as I remember thinking if I’d robbed a bank I would’ve been better off as that would eventually drop off unlike drunk driving.

On the Driver Rehabilitation course we asked this as some of us had jobs that depended on police checks etc, and we were told DD stays forever. I remember this as I remember thinking if I’d robbed a bank I would’ve been better off as that would eventually drop off unlike drunk driving.

It doesn't appear on a basic DBS check, as I had a check in 2011 and nothing came up.

I’ve read a few misconceptions here so for the avoidance of doubt…

Drink drinking/drug driving/failure to provide etc are all criminal convictions not traffic offences

As such they will be classed as unspent for 5 years. This means they will show up on all DBS checks and you must declare them for insurance/job applications etc.

After 5 years they become spent. This means for the vast majority of purposes they go away. You don’t have to declare them for your insurance etc nor do you have to declare them for basic and standard DBS checks - they will come back clear
- this means for most jobs you can stop declaring it
- an enhanced check for certain industries and professions such as teaching, healthcare etc will still show your conviction, even though it’s spent

After 11 years they will become filtered. This means they essentially disappear. The only offences under the road traffic act that won’t are those in which you have caused “death or grievous bodily injury” - for most of us with DR10 or similar, our offences are eligible for filtering. This means that even as a teacher, nurse, doctor or solicitor etc you will not have to declare. Even an enhanced check will come back negative as your conviction has now been filtered.

Note the government changed the filtering rules in November 2020 following a supreme court ruling so that even if you have several convictions, providing they aren’t serious, they will be eligible for filtering.

So please remember that you absolutely don’t have you declare it “forever” and it most certainly does not stick with you for life.

A final point - if you ever need a police certificate for an authority in a foreign country, eg applying for a visa, the police certificate will always show the conviction as other jurisdictions may have their own laws with convictions and dealing with foreign nationals. Your conviction can not be filtered for this purpose.

Spent/unspent/filtered (ie any offence at any time) will always show up for a Counter Terrorist Check (CTC)/Level 1B national security clearance check. This is the 3rd “tier” of security clearance and is generally reserved for the like of police, judicial appointments etc. Baseline clearance will show unspent but not filtered convictions.

I would advise anyone with concerns about your convictions and/or disclosure of them to have a look at https://unlock.org.uk/

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off