D27 form for provisional?

Convicted Driver Insurance

JonTheIdiot

Hi guys,

I’ve just signed up to ask about the d27 form that I’ve received in the post. I’m not due to get my license back until jan 8th but the form came today.

I can’t remember if the judge said I had to resit an extended test as I was pretty upset of the fact I was going to jail.

the d27 doesn’t mention anywhere about what license I will receive once I post off my £90 postal order

so my question is, does the d27 mean I’m getting my full license back and I can drive on the 8th jan? Or is it a possibility that I do have to do an extended test and I will receive a provisional?

thanks in advance for any help

Hi guys,

I’ve just signed up to ask about the d27 form that I’ve received in the post. I’m not due to get my license back until jan 8th but the form came today.

I can’t remember if the judge said I had to resit an extended test as I was pretty upset of the fact I was going to jail.

the d27 doesn’t mention anywhere about what license I will receive once I post off my £90 postal order

so my question is, does the d27 mean I’m getting my full license back and I can drive on the 8th jan? Or is it a possibility that I do have to do an extended test and I will receive a provisional?

thanks in advance for any help

It is quite rare that the courts order someone to sit a re-test for drink driving. Unless of course your in Ireland where anyone banned for drink driving has to take a re-test.

In any case you should get your form filled out and sent off as soon as possible. As a high risk offender you are required to take and pass a DVLA medical before your driving licence will be issued. This can be a lengthy process is normal circumstances but the covid situation and upcoming Christmas holidays will delay things further and you will be unable to drive until the DVLA have completed their medical enquiries and assessed you as fit to drive.

It is quite rare that the courts order someone to sit a re-test for drink driving. Unless of course your in Ireland where anyone banned for drink driving has to take a re-test.

In any case you should get your form filled out and sent off as soon as possible. As a high risk offender you are required to take and pass a DVLA medical before your driving licence will be issued. This can be a lengthy process is normal circumstances but the covid situation and upcoming Christmas holidays will delay things further and you will be unable to drive until the DVLA have completed their medical enquiries and assessed you as fit to drive.

thanks for the reply. Yes I understand the medical side of things, I just didn’t know if the d27 form was applying for a specific license (either provisional or full) or if it’s a standard form for either

hopefully my full license comes in the post after my medical! Thanks again

The D27 is a generic form to apply for your licence back. You will get back whatever licence you had before, except that if you had a HGV or PCV licence that will be subject to review by the Traffic Commisaioner

The D27 is a generic form to apply for your licence back. You will get back whatever licence you had before, except that if you had a HGV or PCV licence that will be subject to review by the Traffic Commisaioner

thanks for your reply. I had a basic car license before. If it’s a generic form then I’m guessing I will only receive a provisional. Thanks again

thanks for your reply. I had a basic car license before. If it’s a generic form then I’m guessing I will only receive a provisional. Thanks again
No Jon, if you had a full licence (i.e. you had passed your test previously) you will receive a full licence back. It probably won't be as easy as applying and then getting your licence through the post and you driving into the sunset.....

I'm not sure of your circumstances (when you were banned, what you were banned for, reading, ban received etc.), if you are classed as an HRO, you will eventually be offered a DVLA medical. If you go through this OK, DVLA may then write to your GP. If this is all OK, DVLA may then issue you with a full licence - this may however be a 'medical licence' which means it lasts for a year, and you may have to do another medical a year later for it to be extended.

Lots of permutations.... As the Mod stated, it is unlikely that the magistrate would have requested a resit of your driving test, but you will be tested - believe me!

No Jon, if you had a full licence (i.e. you had passed your test previously) you will receive a full licence back. It probably won't be as easy as applying and then getting your licence through the post and you driving into the sunset.....

I'm not sure of your circumstances (when you were banned, what you were banned for, reading, ban received etc.), if you are classed as an HRO, you will eventually be offered a DVLA medical. If you go through this OK, DVLA may then write to your GP. If this is all OK, DVLA may then issue you with a full licence - this may however be a 'medical licence' which means it lasts for a year, and you may have to do another medical a year later for it to be extended.

Lots of permutations.... As the Mod stated, it is unlikely that the magistrate would have requested a resit of your driving test, but you will be tested - believe me!

thanks again for the prompt response. It was my mother that was in court with me that told me at a later date that I had to do an extended test. I was too shaken to take anything in. I was banned in October of 2018 for 27 months with a DR10. I blew a reading of 92 so I am a high risk offender. I have sent the d27 form off this morning with the £90 postal order so eagerly waiting for a medical. Do the medicals Happen before the date I’m due to get the license back?

thanks again for the prompt response. It was my mother that was in court with me that told me at a later date that I had to do an extended test. I was too shaken to take anything in. I was banned in October of 2018 for 27 months with a DR10. I blew a reading of 92 so I am a high risk offender. I have sent the d27 form off this morning with the £90 postal order so eagerly waiting for a medical. Do the medicals Happen before the date I’m due to get the license back?
Once DVLA receive your application, they will (should...) reply saying you need to undertake the DVLA medical before they will reissue your licence. Given the current situation with Covid, this may be before the date your licence is due to be returned, but also may be delayed until after. When they write to you, they will give you a local DVLA approved Doctor that you need to book the medical with, you have 6 weeks to book the medical from the date of the letter. When you call, your given approved Dr may however say they are not doing medicals at the moment or may say they can't fit you in within the 6 week timescale, then you will need to call DVLA and tell them this. They should then offer you a couple of alternatives, again you may struggle with these - if you read other threads on this forum you will see other peoples struggles to get the medical booked, and read about how others have managed to jump through the necessary hoops by finding an approved Dr themselves.

Once you get the date for a medical, you will need to pay the Dr a fee (around £97 if I'm not mistaken). They will do the medical, ask a few questions and then take blood for analysis. Again look at other threads to see about the blood test, they are looking at CDT which is a measure of recent alcohol abuse. Once the medical is done, and the blood test is carried out, DVLA will review your application. At this stage, they may decide to write to your GP. This will ask about alcohol and/or mental health issues, depending on your circumstances. The GP has 6 weeks to reply to DVLA. They will then make a decision of whether to issue you with a full licence, refuse a licence for at least 6 or 12 months (because you are considered either a misuser of alcohol or dependent on alcohol), or they may give you a medical licence for 1 year meaning you can drive but will have to do the medical again in 12 months time.

Hope this explains a bit more?

Last edited:
Once DVLA receive your application, they will (should...) reply saying before you need to undertake the DVLA medical before they will reissue your licence. Given the current situation with Covid, this may be before the date your licence is due to be returned, but also may be delayed until after. When they write to you, they will give you a local DVLA approved Doctor that you need to book the medical with, you have 6 weeks to book the medical from the date of the letter. When you call, your given approved Dr may however say they are not doing medicals at the moment or may say they can't fit you in within the 6 week timescale, then you will need to call DVLA and tell them this. They should then offer you a couple of alternatives, again you may struggle with these - if you read other threads on this forum you will see other peoples struggles to get the medical booked, and read about how others have managed to jump through the necessary hoops by finding an approved Dr themselves.

Once you get the date for a medical, you will need to pay the Dr a fee (around £97 if I'm not mistaken). They will do the medical, ask a few questions and then take blood for analysis. Again look at other threads to see about the blood test, they are looking at CDT which is a measure of recent alcohol abuse. Once the medical is done, and the blood test is carried out, DVLA will review your application. At this stage, they may decide to write to your GP. This will ask about alcohol and/or mental health issues, depending on your circumstances. The GP has 6 weeks to reply to DVLA. They will then make a decision of whether to issue you with a full licence, refuse a licence for at least 6 or 12 months (because you are considered either a misuser of alcohol or dependent on alcohol), or they may give you a medical licence for 1 year meaning you can drive but will have to do the medical again in 12 months time.

Hope this explains a bit more?

thats great, it really does help, thank you so much. is there anyway I can see what my punishment was at court with regards to the extended test? It didn’t mention anything about it in my paperwork and the dvla licence Check just says I’m banned

I’ve been given a provisional, I do have to sit an extended test
I presume you were convicted of dangerous driving as well as drink driving. An extended test is what always happens after a dangerous driving conviction... and will make insurance VERY expensive!

I’ve been given a provisional, I do have to sit an extended test
I fail to see why you have to do an extended test.....what exactly does the paperwork from DVLA say? Also do you have any paperwork from the court of DVLA just after your conviction. This cannot have suddenly come up ‘out of the blue’. Something must have been said when you were in court, or in a letter. The only requirement to sit an extended test is for dangerous driving where is no option. Any other reason has to be spelled out because it is not mandatory.

I fail to see why you have to do an extended test.....what exactly does the paperwork from DVLA say? Also do you have any paperwork from the court of DVLA just after your conviction. This cannot have suddenly come up ‘out of the blue’. Something must have been said when you were in court, or in a letter. The only requirement to sit an extended test is for dangerous driving where is no option. Any other reason has to be spelled out because it is not mandatory.

like I said earlier in the post I ended up going to prison on the day so I didn’t pay attention to the driving bit. Prison sentence wasn’t driving related. My mother said she thought they said I’d have to sit an extended test. No paperwork as of yet but I rang today for medical results and they said they have contacted my GP and when they respond they will be sending me out a provisional to sit an extended test

like I said earlier in the post I ended up going to prison on the day so I didn’t pay attention to the driving bit. Prison sentence wasn’t driving related. My mother said she thought they said I’d have to sit an extended test. No paperwork as of yet but I rang today for medical results and they said they have contacted my GP and when they respond they will be sending me out a provisional to sit an extended test
Hi Jon, can you expand on your situation so we can try to understand what happened? You mentioned you were sent to prison on the day of the court hearing, yet you mention it wasn't for a driving related offence. Were you in 2 court hearings on the same day, 1 for the drink driving and 1 for whatever the other offence was? It just doesn't seem to add up - I presume this was your first DD offence, blowing 92 isn't that unusual so being sent to prison and having to resit an extended test doesn't fit with any other case that I have heard of before. As has been mentioned, a court ordering an extended test in England is quite rare.

Jon,

If you do not want to go into detail on here, send me a PM with your full circumstances, but of course you will then only get my opinion, not the wisdom of others as well.

Hi Jon, can you expand on your situation so we can try to understand what happened? You mentioned you were sent to prison on the day of the court hearing, yet you mention it wasn't for a driving related offence. Were you in 2 court hearings on the same day, 1 for the drink driving and 1 for whatever the other offence was? It just doesn't seem to add up - I presume this was your first DD offence, blowing 92 isn't that unusual so being sent to prison and having to resit an extended test doesn't fit with any other case that I have heard of before. As has been mentioned, a court ordering an extended test in England is quite rare.

yes I was charged with perverting the course of justice and received a 6 month sentence for that. I have been banned before but it was 12 years prior

Jon, this is like pulling teeth! I presume the perverting the course of Justice had something to do with driving, or lying about not driving. You need to be specific to get proper advice about your circumstances.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off