Crashed car when drunk.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jake2495

Hi all.

not looking for sympathy or anything just advice and help.

stupidly drove my car after a night in the pub was told I blew nearly 90 at the roadside. This would have been about 1am. I was then taken to hospital and had blood taken at 4-59 am. Just wondering what my blood alcohol would be like. My last drink was around about 11-30 the night before.

I also realised that the reason I was driving is a dark one but I wanted to kill myself. My car was my happy place and thought if I wrapped it around a tree it would be a nice way to go. I obviously know that doesn’t excuse it at all and I’ve decided to get help from the right people. Should I tell the police this when I get invitEd for an interview.

If you did have a reading of about 90 at 1am then it is almost inevitable that you will be over from the blood sample at 5am.
if you are invited for interview (they may not decide to, depending on if you were found still strapped in behind the wheel or what you said to the police when they got there) they you should get legal advice before you attend.
i would strongly suggest that you do not mention the desire to kill yourself to the police OR the court. It will not affect the outcome of you being banned but it could have repercussions for when you come to apply for your licence back.
Also what is said in court may well be reported in the press locally and cause you further problems.......

That’s fine I was expecting to be over. If I wasn’t I’d feel very surprised. Hopefully it’s come down from then but I guess the time it took for them to do it from when I was found will be a factor especially if it’s still high that long after.
Can the roadside reading be used in court?

Yeah that’s a fair point. But I think I need to be as open as I can be. I regret it now and I know it can’t be changed just lucky my car was the only one involved.

I would be suprised if you were not still over when bloods were taken.
With the fluctuation and time passed you could hope that you fallin the bottom catogery.
If interviewed have a serious think as price Maybe right press and all that if there is a story.
Plus ban wont be that big and with reduction gets even less, if you value driving that much you dont want to battle for your licence back.

The roadside test cannot be used to prosecute you, it is an indication only.
Your reading in blood is likely to be 140-150 or thereabouts. Less than that and you will be in the 12-16 month bracket. Above that and it will be 17-23 months.
There is a difference between telling lies to the court and being so open that you cause yourself unnecessary problems.
At court the charge is read out to you, you are asked how you plead, the circumstances are read out and you are asked if there is anything you want to say. Apart from “I’m very sorry” anything else is optional and telling the court you intentions will not make any difference to your ban but could cause you embarrassment in the community.

That’s fair enough. I just wanted to check if it was worth saying. I will just end up seeing how I feel on the day. Not worried about embarrassment I’ve done that already.

If you told the court and they passed it on to DVLA you could face a huge uphill battle to get your licence back for ages.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off