Covid 19 cause due date for DDR COURSE incomplete

Convicted Driver Insurance

Coreyhamill93

Hi searching high and low for answers about whats going to happen to people who havent been able to complete the course through no fault of there own, contacted local representatives in the community, DVLA, DVSA, TTC GROUP a solicitor and finally the courts themselves, to be honest noone replies after a certain stage, if they can let criminals out of jail two months early, pay peoples holiday home caravan fees, wave mots for a year, then surely they can extend due dates for DDR courses...

I am not a solicitor but i beleive there may be grounds for abuse of process, i think atm noone actually knows, but if you are like myself and need your license then im sure its burning your brain too.. im from northern ireland and i know things are run a little differently over here but there must be hundreds effected by this, shocked there isnt more information available.

Attachments

• FF507454-52A9-4C15-997C-5E85A17C24A5.jpeg
    FF507454-52A9-4C15-997C-5E85A17C24A5.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 175BE291-AD1E-4C13-9C51-AF880538390D.jpeg
    175BE291-AD1E-4C13-9C51-AF880538390D.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 13
Hi searching high and low for answers about whats going to happen to people who havent been able to complete the course through no fault of there own, contacted local representatives in the community, DVLA, DVSA, TTC GROUP a solicitor and finally the courts themselves, to be honest noone replies after a certain stage, if they can let criminals out of jail two months early, pay peoples holiday home caravan fees, wave mots for a year, then surely they can extend due dates for DDR courses...

I am not a solicitor but i beleive there may be grounds for abuse of process, i think atm noone actually knows, but if you are like myself and need your license then im sure its burning your brain too.. im from northern ireland and i know things are run a little differently over here but there must be hundreds effected by this, shocked there isnt more information available.

Attachments

• 4568A315-5851-4C47-8622-92A21F241F15.jpeg
    4568A315-5851-4C47-8622-92A21F241F15.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 5C541567-095A-4872-8C8F-820146994D0C.jpeg
    5C541567-095A-4872-8C8F-820146994D0C.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 13
A couple of points,
firstly the circumstances that Ashman solicitors are referring to is for speed awareness courses, which are on hold.
They suggest asking for the court to adjourn a case because the course MIGHT come back on offer.
This is NOT anything to do with abuse of process because the course is DISCRETIONAL for the police to offer, nothing to do with the court. If the course is not available then the police cannot offer it, but they would offer a fixed penalty and only if you refuse that would it go to court. I would suggest nt risking a court appearance for a course that may or may not appear in the timeframe there is to complete a speed course (nrmally 4 months from the date of the offence.
Secondly the offer of a Drink Drive Rehabilitation course is known as an ancillary order, so something that does not feature as a part of the sentence of the court. (That is why it is not compulsory to attend, the court have only OFFERED a course)
Abuse of process is not something that can be alleged after a case has been concluded, it is just that - abuse of a process under way, not something that had already finished.
What the magistrates have to do is decide on the length of the ban they are going to give you, anyone, course or not. Then they decide if they want to offer the course to reduce the ban if you do complete it.
What the magistrates are NOT allowed to do is to ask if you want to do a course, then inflate the length of the ban so that the reduction only takes you down to what they really want you to do.
In other words, there has been no Abuse of Process because you had a hearing, you had the appropriate ban, but you (may) have lost out on a reduction they says you could do, if available, and if you did it.
If you booked a course and it didn’t go ahead then of course you are entitled to the money back for that course, but that is all, there is no redress on the court.
One final example.... the magistrates gave you a 12 month ban, reduced to 9 if you complete an optional course. The courses are not available, you cannot say it is an abuse of process by the court because they could not have given you a 9 month ban, because the law says the minimum ban for drink driving is 12 months....

On the question of extending the completion date, I agree that the DVSA could do something about this if they chose to, but that is quite limited. On a 12 month ban, the completion date is normally set at 7 months, to allow time for the application to be made 8 weeks before to get the 3 month reduction. If they allowed a completion date at 9 months, with the 8 weeks for the application there would only be the scope for a 1 month reduction in your ban.
Things will get back to some sort of normality in a few months, so given the limited scope to help a few people for a short time, I don’t think DVSA will actually get round to issuing an amendment to the legislation that dictates the completion date.

Last edited:
Well i await a reply from the magistrates, all your CAPITAL LETTERS arent really necessary i can read quite well, if only yous were as quick at gettn those refund cheques out as you were replying to comments.. jokes. One month is better than none, doubt yous could facilitate all those effected before then tho.. why could applicants not produce ids over zoom and start there courses? Lot of people left in the hole here with nothing but a tough luck.. havent even received a letter, email or text message explaining whats happening or that my course was cancelled on the 16th may.. any way heres to hoping something will be sorted for those who in good will paid for your courses and waited..

Sorry if you were offended by my capital letters, I only used them where I wanted to stress certain words to clarify what the situation is and why.
Let us know on here how you get on with the court but I am sure that what I explained about abuse of process is correct. Ashmans solocitor wording sets it out: “Abuse of process, this is where court proceedings are halted on the basis that they are unfair. Additionally you could be able to argue that your case should be adjourned..... whilst all this is relevant to speed awareness courses, it cannot apply to a drink drive case that had been concluded. Clearly it cannot be relevant to halt the proceedings, not can it be adjourned because it is finished.
if you look on here at a thread titled “"Missed Deadline" due to my TTC course being cancelled due to COVID-19 lockdown. Court is saying nothing they can do my ban now cannot be reduced.”
(Sorry for the bold, that is just how the cut and paste turned out) You will see that the solicitor on here says there is nothing that can be done about the non availability of a course.

I am no longer actively involved with TTC and courses so I do not know what the situation is with refunds but I would expect that they should be processed quickly if someone cancels in the current circumstances.
As you are based in Northern Ireland, you will also face the difficulty of resitting your driving test, and they are not happening at the moment either.
As to the courses being run on Zoom with ID produced you are right, but that is not up to TTC. Courses can only be run with the permission of the DVSA and they did allow a few courses that had already started to be finished online, but they specifically said that no new courses could be started online so all course providers have their hands tied on this. I am aware that representations have been made to the DVSA for online courses but until permission is granted, legally they cannot be offered.

Last edited:
For some reason my other account was just banned :(, thanks for your explanations, just a little irrate as you could imagine.. iv spent many days and nights searching for an answer and a way to get my license back.. iv offically given up and will leave this in the hands of the powers above! The little guy loses again! Stay safe yall

I would feet pretty mad if I was in the same circumstances so no offence taken by your comments.
how much longer have you got eft before your completion date?

10 days.. i would have completed my course on the 30th of may.. one day before my court ordered date of completion.. new car bought sitting at the door.. would have had 63 days left had i completed the course now i have 162 days.. or 3889 hrs as i tell everyone LOL! Thank for your time it is very much appreciated :)

Am I missing something here?! I logged in with my TTC course reference re my course and it's very clear and easy to understand....I will be offered an on-line classroom course to complete in July and I will be contacted by email nearer the date. The TTC website is very clear about past and future courses during the COVID pandemic ?

Not everyone goes online and checks the website im sure theres many drink drivers who have never darkened the world wide web, does it state what will happen if you are unable to complete your course beyond it not happening? I received no email from ttc my course was to began last saturday? So what does it say about what will happen to me now i am unable to complete the course on the ttc website??
Did you login into your account? Mine is very clear after logging in ?

Tells me nothing about what i am to do now my course has been cancelled.. by all accounts i havto serve the remainder of my ban without reduction.. the courses were cancelled mate big pandemic the worlds going through atm they only offering them to people who have done one or two days i hadnt done any..

Attachments

• FB904C9E-B3E1-4499-B656-114D1F8B581A.png
    FB904C9E-B3E1-4499-B656-114D1F8B581A.png
    420.1 KB · Views: 8
Tells me nothing about what i am to do now my course has been cancelled.. by all accounts i havto serve the remainder of my ban without reduction.. the courses were cancelled mate big pandemic the worlds going through atm they only offering them to people who have done one or two days i hadnt done any..
No.. mine starts in July with paid scheduled dates in an online classroom

My date of completion from court is too near, 10 days to be exact, couldnt reshedule mine.. hearts broke lol, be thankful u can donur course my friend, hoping everything goes in your favour

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off