Court in two weeks, terrified and scared of social media/paper

Convicted Driver Insurance

alison36

I wrote my car off in December, I tried to drive home (a 3 min drive) which I could have walked!!
I hit a bollard and other cars stopped called police, they arrived and I got really distressed and angry, I was taken to hospital and took bloods.
They came back at 249. My charge says drink driving.
I work in care so I’m worried about my job? My reputation? My kids and my sentance?

First time offence, had a clean licence from age 18 I’m now 36. Single mum, I had a breakdown overdosed and turned to alcohol I was accessing alcohol services but had a lapse on the night I drove my car.
Since that I left my job as a care manager due to writing my car off and I found a job a local carehome.

Scared what will my outcome be?!! My kids will I go to prison?! What will the press write etc.

I wrote my car off in December, I tried to drive home (a 3 min drive) which I could have walked!!
I hit a bollard and other cars stopped called police, they arrived and I got really distressed and angry, I was taken to hospital and took bloods.
I work in care so I’m worried about my job? My reputation? My kids and my sentance?

First time offence, had a clean licence from age 18 I’m now 36. Single mum, I had a breakdown overdosed and turned to alcohol I was accessing alcohol services but had a lapse on the night I drove my car.
Since that I left my job as a care manager due to writing my car off and I found a job a local carehome.

Scared what will my outcome be?!! My kids will I go to prison?! What will the press write etc.
You won’t go to prison the people on here are great for advice and reassurance they will give you information and support all the way xx

Will it go against me if they see from GP I have alcohol dependcy issues?
The DVLA will look into this, but not the Courts. From a Court point of view, just make sure to let the Magistrates know that you've been seeking help to address your alcohol issues. It's what I did, and they do take it on board that you're looking for the help that you need.

Hi there, when is your court date? You have my sympathies. :(

This one is a bit of a double/edged sword.

Yes, as said above, the magistrate will look favourably on the fact you’re attempting to address your issues. You’ll need to mention this to the probation officer; also that you had a breakdown. You want the PO onside (who you sit down with between initial hearing/plea and then the main bit and sentencing), and if you explain it well they are there to help. It won’t hurt to have a couple of good character references on hand which the magistrate will take account of.

Downside is the high blood reading which is about 3x legal blood limit. So it won’t be a short ban, and may also attract a community order. Others will know better than I.

I managed to avoid a CO in a sort of ‘exchange’ for a whopping great fine . The PO and my lawyer managed to successfully argue that this would be counterproductive to me given my difficult circumstances at the time, and also access to my kids and my job. Downside for me though was I got a district judge rather than a magistrate, and they are much less lenient when it comes to sentencing. So the ban for me was no laughing matter and neither the fine. But I was happy with no community order.

So it’s a little ‘luck of the drawer’ when it comes to how they will actually sentence. Hopefully they will be lenient with you. But the good news I would really emphasise is to put the thought of prison right out of your head - it ain’t happening. :)

I also managed to avoid the papers as I used a lawyer local to the court who did well keeping me out of the spotlight. Given my job title at the time I’m amazed he managed to do this. But this was the least of my worries at the time - people do find out as word spreads and this is just something you have to eventually deal with.

The sharp edge however is that a 249 blood reading means you will be classed as High Risk Offender (HRO), meaning that you’ll need to pass a DVLA medical before they will let you drive again. Upon reapplying for a license after (or near the end of) the ban, the DVLA will in all likelihood will request access to your medical files via your GP by writing to them. Given that alcohol dependency will be on your file, it will be important to prove abstinence for a year before they will consider your accepting your application. This will be best done by getting your GP to put in your notes that you’ve definitely stopped drinking alcohol. You can also get them to do LFTs periodically to help prove this.

Once again you have my sympathies. So many on here know exactly what this feels like and are here to help and listen. You will get through this. :)

Hi there, when is your court date? You have my sympathies. :(

This one is a bit of a double/edged sword.

Yes, as said above, the magistrate will look favourably on the fact you’re attempting to address your issues. You’ll need to mention this to the probation officer; also that you had a breakdown. You want the PO onside (who you sit down with between initial hearing/plea and then the main bit and sentencing), and if you explain it well they are there to help. It won’t hurt to have a couple of good character references on hand which the magistrate will take account of.

Downside is the high blood reading which is about 3x legal blood limit. So it won’t be a short ban, and may also attract a community order. Others will know better than I.

I managed to avoid a CO in a sort of ‘exchange’ for a whopping great fine . The PO and my lawyer managed to successfully argue that this would be counterproductive to me given my difficult circumstances at the time, and also access to my kids and my job. Downside for me though was I got a district judge rather than a magistrate, and they are much less lenient when it comes to sentencing. So the ban for me was no laughing matter and neither the fine. But I was happy with no community order.

So it’s a little ‘luck of the drawer’ when it comes to how they will actually sentence. Hopefully they will be lenient with you. But the good news I would really emphasise is to put the thought of prison right out of your head - it ain’t happening. :)

I also managed to avoid the papers as I used a lawyer local to the court who did well keeping me out of the spotlight. Given my job title at the time I’m amazed he managed to do this. But this was the least of my worries at the time - people do find out as word spreads and this is just something you have to eventually deal with.

The sharp edge however is that a 249 blood reading means you will be classed as High Risk Offender (HRO), meaning that you’ll need to pass a DVLA medical before they will let you drive again. Upon reapplying for a license after (or near the end of) the ban, the DVLA will in all likelihood will request access to your medical files via your GP by writing to them. Given that alcohol dependency will be on your file, it will be important to prove abstinence for a year before they will consider your accepting your application. This will be best done by getting your GP to put in your notes that you’ve definitely stopped drinking alcohol. You can also get them to do LFTs periodically to help prove this.

Once again you have my sympathies. So many on here know exactly what this feels like and are here to help and listen. You will get through this. :)
Thank you.
My court case is Friday 13th may! Worst date possible?!!
How did you manage to get a lawyer that kept you out the papers? I’m worried as I work in care how that’ll impact my job.

Thank you.
My court case is Friday 13th may! Worst date possible?!!
How did you manage to get a lawyer that kept you out the papers? I’m worried as I work in care how that’ll impact my job.
Pot luck really. I went with a firm recommended to me who was inexpensive and local to the court so knew it well.

However news travelled regardless - it’s not the kind of thing that’s easy to lie about. Just part of the punishment I guess.

could i ask you hoe long it took to get your blood results back?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off