Court…scared

Convicted Driver Insurance
My employers are aware and have been supportive. I’ve been with them for many years and this is the first blemish on my record. However, due to the nature of my work, I’m registered with a professional body. I did disclose to them the day after my arrest. There will need to be a hearing to decide what happens then. If they decide to remove me from the register, then unfortunately my employers will have no choice but to dismiss me. I’m hoping I get a warning, but I will need to wait and see.

Regarding the ban, I wasn’t given the option to reduce it, and I probably wouldn’t anyway. I’m not sure how I’d afford the insurance after this!
I am a similar situation to yourself. I am due to appear in court next week. My employer is supportive and have said that they are only governed by my professional body (HCPC).
I am obviously anxious about court next week but the investigation fromy professional body is causing me more worry at the moment.

Mine came through the post a couple of days later with reference number to pay fine which I believe you can do over the phone

Yes you're right - actually getting confused with a fine I got a couple of weeks ago for daring to pick someone up at Heathrow at 1am without paying best part of 5 quid for the privilege, (that was online). My DD fine, like Alybongo was paid over the phone as per instructions received by letter shortly after court.

That’s an awesome result. I got a longer ban and a larger fine for much lower, first-offence reading. I’m chuffed to bits for you!

I am a similar situation to yourself. I am due to appear in court next week. My employer is supportive and have said that they are only governed by my professional body (HCPC).
I am obviously anxious about court next week but the investigation fromy professional body is causing me more worry at the moment.
I know of medical persons that have lost their licence but kept their job. The fact you haven’t assaulted anyone or committed fraud you could be ok…fingers crossed for you.

I am pleased to say that I have never had the experience of disqualification for drink driving, but people report on here that you do adapt well to not driving. If travel to work is a problem, you could always look at getting an Electric bike (NOT an E-scooter !!) they do not require a driving licence so they can be ridden by a disqualified driver.
Several people have turned up on Drink Drive Rehabilitation courses riding one, and they always provoke a lot of interest from other clients!
Hi Price,
Just to add that there are certain EPAC guidelines with dvla regarding using e bikes.
Just to add that some e bikes actually require a full driving licence and are classed as scooters or motorcycles.
From the top of my head the rule is it if can go over 15.5mph then you need a full UK licence though I would imagine that most would not do this speed.
I checked it out on a dvla. gov site a few months ago but I can't remember the full EPAC details.
I was surprised at this as I had never ever heard of it before but it was definently the case if they went over a certain mph.
No MOT, road tax or insurance required though as far as I know, unless if course it goes over the 15.5 mph.
Just for awareness!!!

Last edited:
Hi Price,
Just to add that there are certain EPAC guidelines with dvla regarding using e bikes.
Just to add that some e bikes actually require a full driving licence and are classed as scooters or motorcycles.
From the top of my head the rule is it if can go over 15.5mph then you need a full UK licence though I would imagine that most would not do this speed.
I checked it out on a dvla. gov site a few months ago but I can't remember the full EPAC details.
I was surprised at this as I had never ever heard of it before but it was definently the case if they went over a certain mph.
No MOT, road tax or insurance required though as far as I know, unless if course it goes over the 15.5 mph.
Just for awareness!!!
Hi all,
Would I have been told by the court if I need a medical before applying for my license again?
It’s a long trip time off but curious.
Aly

Hi Price,
Just for awareness!!!

There are indeed strict rules on e-bikes. That is why I excluded electric scooters in my narrative.
They are governed by the Electrical assisted pedal cycle regulations of 1983, as amended in 2015 (the amendments added three wheelers and a bit more wattage, so that German e-bikes could be sold here)
The link to the regulations are below. There is currently an exemption to allow e-scooters to be used, but only on an approved rental test scheme.
If the e-bike conforms to the EAPC regs than no helmet, tax, insurance or LICENCE are required, so that is why disqualified drivers can ride one. If it does not conform then the drink driver would be arrested for driving a motor vehicle whilst disqualified and without insurance.
You will see in the regs that one of the principal requirements to be classified as a legal e-bile, apart from the power and speed limitations, s that they MUST have pedals, so that rules out all scooters…..The stand on ones and the sit on ones.

And the amendment in 2015:

I am pleased to say that I have never had the experience of disqualification for drink driving, but people report on here that you do adapt well to not driving. If travel to work is a problem, you could always look at getting an Electric bike (NOT an E-scooter !!) they do not require a driving licence so they can be ridden by a disqualified driver.
Several people have turned up on Drink Drive Rehabilitation courses riding one, and they always provoke a lot of interest from other clients!

There are indeed strict rules on e-bikes. That is why I excluded electric scooters in my narrative.
They are governed by the Electrical assisted pedal cycle regulations of 1983, as amended in 2015 (the amendments added three wheelers and a bit more wattage, so that German e-bikes could be sold here)
The link to the regulations are below. There is currently an exemption to allow e-scooters to be used, but only on an approved rental test scheme.
If the e-bike conforms to the EAPC regs than no helmet, tax, insurance or LICENCE are required, so that is why disqualified drivers can ride one. If it does not conform then the drink driver would be arrested for driving a motor vehicle whilst disqualified and without insurance.
You will see in the regs that one of the principal requirements to be classified as a legal e-bile, apart from the power and speed limitations, s that they MUST have pedals, so that rules out all scooters…..The stand on ones and the sit on ones.

I forgot about the pedals.i thought all e bikes had pedals as they are usually "pedal assist" to help with hills and ease of use.
What I was getting at though was if it has pedals and can do more than 15.5 mph then is it not classed as a scooter / motorcycle and a full licence is required...? Am I wrong in this belief then? If I am, I certainly apologise for posting incorrect information!
No mot, insurance or tax though needed.
I obviously don't mean those generally illegal and annoyingly dangerous little scooters that people and kids use willy nilly all over the pavement then the road, then the pavement, then the road, then up the precinct, back on the road, forcing cars to stop or sound their horn, then back up on the pavements, then onto the road etc etc

Last edited:

I've been riding my e-Bike for 2 years now. You are correct in that battery power can only assist you up to 20km/h or 15.5 mph, but you can go a LOT faster on them especially going downhill. The twist throttle is also not supposed to get you above 3 mph, but most of them can get you pretty close to 15.5mph.

I believe though that offroad Mountain Bikes purely ridden off-road on private land are not subject to the 15.5mph rule. You can also buy kit online and build your own ebike that will go much faster than this. Yes it is illegal and you will be charged if stopped, but it is not impossible to do.

To be honest though, I have, in the main, enjoyed riding my bike. I live in Central Scotland and there have only been 4 or 5 days in the last 2 years when I couldn't ride it because of snow and ice. But lots of cars were also off the road at the same time, so having a licence would not have made much difference. Yes it can be bloody cold and wet sometimes, but wear the correct gear and you will be fine.

NileR and Luna2000,

Yes you are both right about these e-bikes.
To be classes as an electric bike under the regulations it MUST comply with all the requirements of the EAPC regs and if any one of them are not met then it it a motor vehicle and you need a licence to ride one
You can do whatever you want to ride one off road as regards power, or build it yourself, but for the road legal, no licence needed types, they have to display a plate saying that they conform to the regulations.
The legal bikes have restrictors to limit the speed, but some people bypass them to go faster. (they do the same to 50cc bikes which are restricted to 30mph for 16 year olds) It might be great to gain a few extra MPG but it puts the bike / e-bike into a different category. In the case of a 50cc bike ridden by a 16 year old or an e-bike that does not conform, ridden by a disqualifies driver, it elevates the offence into riding whilst disqualified,
one other thing to mention is that with issues about legality of vehicles of any type, the offences relate to it being used on a road or public place, so a build it yourself e-bike that does not conform might still be a problem on byways and tracks where the public have access. I cannot see PC Plod chasing you across the Highlands but if you had an accident and injured someone then the fact that the bike was not legal would be a problem. best to get insured for that risk.... but would you get mountain bike cover for a powerful e-bike? I suspect that it would say that use in public places is sxcludes.

Hi All
Just to let you know I’m back from court.
I got 22 months and offered course. Fined £725
Seems forever but did you guys cope without a car?
Thank you for all your support.
glad it’s over but worried about press as reporter in court.
Aly
Hey I’m 4 months into my ban and honestly I didn’t know how I would cope without my car but I have. I have really bad social anxiety so it took me a while to adapt to buses but I only use the bus when I really have to and walk everywhere I can. I do online food shops or tag along with family if I can who have cars. Honestly we adapt before we know it. Im nervous about getting back in my car in 5 months time don’t know why lol but think having that luxury again will be amazing. The course is brilliant as well and the way I look at it now don’t count the months to go count the days and months passed. It really helps. All the best you can do it xx

I forgot about the pedals.i thought all e bikes had pedals as they are usually "pedal assist" to help with hills and ease of use.
What I was getting at though was if it has pedals and can do 15.5 mph then is it not classed as a scooter / motorcycle and a full licence is required...?
not mot, insurance or tax though.
I obviously don't mean those generally illegal and annoyingly dangerous little scooters that people and kids use willy nilly all over the pavement then the road, then the pavement, then the road, then up the precinct, back on the road, forcing cars to stop or sound their horn, then back up on the pavements, then onto the road etc etc

NileR and Luna2000,

To be classes as an electric bike under the regulations it MUST comply with all the requirements of the EAPC regs and if any one of them are not met then it it a motor vehicle and you need a licence to ride one
You can do whatever you want to ride one off road as regards power, or build it yourself, but for the road legal, no licence needed types, they have to display a plate saying that they conform to the regulations.
The legal bikes have restrictors to limit the speed, but some people bypass them to go faster. (they do the same to 50cc bikes which are restricted to 30mph for 16 year olds) It might be great to gain a few extra MPG but it puts the bike / e-bike into a different category. In the case of a 50cc bike ridden by a 16 year old or an e-bike that does not conform, ridden by a disqualifies driver, it elevates the offence into riding whilst disqualified,
one other thing to mention is that with issues about legality of vehicles of any type, the offences relate to it being used on a road or public place, so a build it yourself e-bike that does not conform might still be a problem on byways and tracks where the public have access. I cannot see PC Plod chasing you across the Highlands but if you had an accident and injured someone then the fact that the bike was not legal would be a problem. best to get insured for that risk.... but would you get mountain bike cover for a powerful e-bike? I suspect that it would say that use in public places is sxcludes.
That's great Price, thanks.
Knowledgeable, informative and educational as usual.
I didn't know they had restrictions built in.
I had only queried the whole thing in the first place in case people thought (like I did) that an e bike was an e bike and I was also unaware of the more than 15.5 mph and then the licence was needed.
NileR and Luna2000,

NileR and Luna2000,

Thanks Price, that's great.
Informative knowledgeable and educational as usual with good examples for understanding too.
I only started this conversation as I did not want anyone here to think they could just go out and get an e bike and that they were actually riding something they should have a licence for as it went over 15.5 mph.
Initially I only enquired into them as I read one of Lunas posts a few months ago as the Scottish government have a scheme for them and that's when I found out about the regs and the speed thingy.
I did not even think to think that they would have restrictions built in.
I have overcomplicated it and perhaps posted in error as they have restrictors.
Hopefully people here wouldn't remove these and take the risks involved then.
Thanks for clearing that up.
NileR

Hey I’m 4 months into my ban and honestly I didn’t know how I would cope without my car but I have. I have really bad social anxiety so it took me a while to adapt to buses but I only use the bus when I really have to and walk everywhere I can. I do online food shops or tag along with family if I can who have cars. Honestly we adapt before we know it. Im nervous about getting back in my car in 5 months time don’t know why lol but think having that luxury again will be amazing. The course is brilliant as well and the way I look at it now don’t count the months to go count the days and months passed. It really helps. All the best you can do it xx
As ment
Hi All,
I’m in court tomorrow…so, so scared.
I blew 89…no one hurt, no damage caused…no previous record…age 50
What do you think my ban will be?
Police report states I was polite and coherent.
drove 1min 30secs at 9pm
Thank you

That's great Price, thanks.
Knowledgeable, informative and educational as usual.
I didn't know they had restrictions built in.
I had only queried the whole thing in the first place in case people thought (like I did) that an e bike was an e bike and I was also unaware of the more than 15.5 mph and then the licence was needed.

Thanks Price, that's great.
Informative knowledgeable and educational as usual with good examples for understanding too.
I only started this conversation as I did not want anyone here to think they could just go out and get an e bike and that they were actually riding something they should have a licence for as it went over 15.5 mph.
Initially I only enquired into them as I read one of Lunas posts a few months ago as the Scottish government have a scheme for them and that's when I found out about the regs and the speed thingy.
I did not even think to think that they would have restrictions built in.
I have overcomplicated it and perhaps posted in error as they have restrictors.
Hopefully people here wouldn't remove these and take the risks involved then.
Thanks for clearing that up.
NileR
Hi Nile

It's difficult to remove the restrictions on the bikes you buy as they all come with a small computer that limits the power assist. Plus most only have 6 gears, which means that it is difficult to go much faster than 15.5 mph pedalling on the flat.

Some bikes allow you to input the wheel size e.g. 26" or 28". If you want to get a few more mph, then tell the computer you are riding a bike with smaller wheels (24" or smaller.) This will probably only get you a couple of more mph, but every little might help.

As ment

Hi Nile

It's difficult to remove the restrictions on the bikes you buy as they all come with a small computer that limits the power assist. Plus most only have 6 gears, which means that it is difficult to go much faster than 15.5 mph pedalling on the flat.

Some bikes allow you to input the wheel size e.g. 26" or 28". If you want to get a few more mph, then tell the computer you are riding a bike with smaller wheels (24" or smaller.) This will probably only get you a couple of more mph, but every little might help.
Thanks for that Luna.
I wouldn't take the chance of doing anything that may risk my licence or even stopped by the cops... not that I am suggesting you are doing that.
I looked into the scheme that you spoke of a few months ago, very interesting and affordable.
A good way of getting around and getting fit.Halfords do some good ones.
I had a food delivery guy turn up on one and he got here just as quick or quicker than a car!!!
All the best.
Hope your GP responds soon, I think he has another two weeks or so to fill it in?
Good luck
NileR

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off