Coronavirus for HROs

Convicted Driver Insurance
Wales have different lockdown rules to England, so what Boris says does not affect DVLA. Their rules are due to be reviewed this week.
It seems that the Unions may have something to do with most of DVLA being closed, the link below talks about the Public and Commercial Services Union stance, where they rightly seep to protect their members but rather worrying, the support of Socalist Worker Party and the linking of it to “the greater struggle”. Given their stance on other things it would suit them to see DVLA remain closed for as long as possible.......

My ban ended on 26th march had my medical early march dvla rang last week to say my medical got sent to doctors to sign on 1st june rang doctors they still have not received it this is so frustrating

...bit quiet in here.
You guys managed to get a medical yet?
Me,im still waiting.
Still ringing dvla every day,they still coming up with the same BS excuse; low on staff,critical workers only,we cant do medicals coz doctors are busy treating patients with covid etc etc etc and so on..
Furlough party in Swansea i guess??

The sensible thing would be for the government to step in and allow GP's to do the medicals until the backlog clears, but bureaucracy has never made any sense.

Just reading the updates on here is painful enough. It's almost like a never ending nightmare you cannot wake up from.

As Price1367 has commented, there appear to be a couple of factors that are preventing non key workers from having HRO medicals such as the lockdown situation in Wales (being different from the UK) and the involvement of Unions for the DVLA staff.

This is become a very grave situation. I am now beginning to suspect the suspension of HRO medicals may not be lifted until social distancing measures are relaxed which could be weeks or even months away yet.

CJ

Just reading the updates on here is painful enough. It's almost like a never ending nightmare you cannot wake up from.

As Price1367 has commented, there appear to be a couple of factors that are preventing non key workers from having HRO medicals such as the lockdown situation in Wales (being different from the UK) and the involvement of Unions for the DVLA staff.

This is become a very grave situation. I am now beginning to suspect the suspension of HRO medicals may not be lifted until social distancing measures are relaxed which could be weeks or even months away yet.

CJ
Hi CJ, I've just had a written reply from dvla after my complaint. Logged 14 days ago. To be honest I didn't expect much but because I have been, shall we say dogmatic in my enquiry I must have rattled a few quil pen pushers, suffice to say they've given me a chink of light! Nothing committal but iam now on priority list when they decide to re engage medicals. BTW iam not on the essential /key workers remit. So Welsh schools, offices, building works general shops etc are to reopen in Wales so 6000+workers at dvla can trot back to their work!!!!!

Hi CJ, I've just had a written reply from dvla after my complaint. Logged 14 days ago. To be honest I didn't expect much but because I have been, shall we say dogmatic in my enquiry I must have rattled a few quil pen pushers, suffice to say they've given me a chink of light! Nothing committal but iam now on priority list when they decide to re engage medicals. BTW iam not on the essential /key workers remit. So Welsh schools, offices, building works general shops etc are to reopen in Wales so 6000+workers at dvla can trot back to their work!!!!!
Hi aron10

I was listed as priority from mid may and honestly felt I was still getting no where so started the complaints procedures, I eventually got a full apology in writing and finally the dvla accepted my request for a medical with a dvla doctor that I found my self so I'm now finally booked,

my honest opinion is to complain complain and complain and soon as they say something that contradicts the last dvla operator then go for the supervisor of complaints department stating incompetent staff giving misleading information, you need to have a gp to send them a request for your paperwork to get your argument started, this is my experience I had to get where I am now,

The dvla where truly hard work and rude.

Hi aron10

I was listed as priority from mid may and honestly felt I was still getting no where so started the complaints procedures, I eventually got a full apology in writing and finally the dvla accepted my request for a medical with a dvla doctor that I found my self so I'm now finally booked,

my honest opinion is to complain complain and complain and soon as they say something that contradicts the last dvla operator then go for the supervisor of complaints department stating incompetent staff giving misleading information, you need to have a gp to send them a request for your paperwork to get your argument started, this is my experience I had to get where I am now,

The dvla where truly hard work and rude.
Thanks grttinnowhere, your absolutely right on this I've been following a thread on Facebook recently and there's a guy who has actually been down the legal route, they apparently granted him a temp licence 1yr and via the secretary of state sent him..... A let's say a strongly worded letter if he persisted and lost in court he may well be liable for dvla legal costs!!!! So not so much a carrot but we'll hit you with a huge bill if you do not desist, a brave man tho He's not, they've committed an onerous mistake I think. Test case methinks

Hi Aron10

Can I ask how you start the complaint process? I’m in a similar situation to you.

Cheers
Thanks grttinnowhere, your absolutely right on this I've been following a thread on Facebook recently and there's a guy who has actually been down the legal route, they apparently granted him a temp licence 1yr and via the secretary of state sent him..... A let's say a strongly worded letter if he persisted and lost in court he may well be liable for dvla legal costs!!!! So not so much a carrot but we'll hit you with a huge bill if you do not desist, a brave man tho He's not, they've committed an onerous mistake I think. Test case methinks

As we have established, the DVLA is a Swansea based organisation falling under the umbrella of the Wales lockdown regulations.

In Wales, non essential retailers will reopen on Monday (22nd) and schools will open the following week (29th). The people in Wales are also restricted from non-essential travel at the moment that prohibits them from venturing more than five miles from their homes unless it is very important. I believe hotels & guest houses will potentially reopen later in July.

This is all pie in the sky for HROs - the biggest issue is the social distancing measures in the workplace for DVLA staff. The main obstacle in all of this is the involvement of Unions who make a potentially easy situation more difficult to resolve. I am not a fan of Unions as they have caused lots of difficulties for management & workers in large companies I have been employed with in years gone by. It is generally a work to rule attitude and they are advising DVLA members to refrain from working in an environment which may be compromised by Covid19. My argument is that many many workplaces have returned in the last few weeks with safe working measures and the fact is Covid19 is going to be a potential threat for the foreseeable future!!!

There does seem to be mounting pressure on Boris Johnson to review social distancing because of the impact it is having on the economy. The new cases & deaths from the virus are averaging below 200 each day and there is a real emphasis that the strength of the virus is much weaker than it was in March.

It would seem the DVLA are not working at full capacity because of social distancing restrictions. Unfortunately, as convicted drink drivers we are part of a group who are sitting at the bottom of a priority list - we have broken the law and there is a attitude that we can wait & be told to wait!!!

Sadly, I do not believe this situation will be resolved for a few more weeks to come. The dangerous territory we are now entering is that decent people affected by the HRO medical situation with potentially get behind the wheel illegally because of greater pressure they are under to save jobs, take children to school, etc. It is really dire for many people.

As I have stated a few times, I am not eligible for my own HRO medical until around October. I actually had a little prayer to myself last night before I went to sleep that everything will be back to normal in four months which is still a long time off yet. We will see!!!

CJ

As we have established, the DVLA is a Swansea based organisation falling under the umbrella of the Wales lockdown regulations.

In Wales, non essential retailers will reopen on Monday (22nd) and schools will open the following week (29th). The people in Wales are also restricted from non-essential travel at the moment that prohibits them from venturing more than five miles from their homes unless it is very important. I believe hotels & guest houses will potentially reopen later in July.

This is all pie in the sky for HROs - the biggest issue is the social distancing measures in the workplace for DVLA staff. The main obstacle in all of this is the involvement of Unions who make a potentially easy situation more difficult to resolve. I am not a fan of Unions as they have caused lots of difficulties for management & workers in large companies I have been employed with in years gone by. It is generally a work to rule attitude and they are advising DVLA members to refrain from working in an environment which may be compromised by Covid19. My argument is that many many workplaces have returned in the last few weeks with safe working measures and the fact is Covid19 is going to be a potential threat for the foreseeable future!!!

There does seem to be mounting pressure on Boris Johnson to review social distancing because of the impact it is having on the economy. The new cases & deaths from the virus are averaging below 200 each day and there is a real emphasis that the strength of the virus is much weaker than it was in March.

It would seem the DVLA are not working at full capacity because of social distancing restrictions. Unfortunately, as convicted drink drivers we are part of a group who are sitting at the bottom of a priority list - we have broken the law and there is a attitude that we can wait & be told to wait!!!

Sadly, I do not believe this situation will be resolved for a few more weeks to come. The dangerous territory we are now entering is that decent people affected by the HRO medical situation with potentially get behind the wheel illegally because of greater pressure they are under to save jobs, take children to school, etc. It is really dire for many people.

As I have stated a few times, I am not eligible for my own HRO medical until around October. I actually had a little prayer to myself last night before I went to sleep that everything will be back to normal in four months which is still a long time off yet. We will see!!!

CJ
Spot on.
Only thing you forgot to mention is the lies lies and more lies dvla staff tells to people.
They said clinics are overwhelmed with covid patients and doctors got theirs hands full= BULSHIT.
I've rang two dvla appointed clinics and emailed one,they all said they're up and running(one with spaces for new appointments within the same week) but dvla is NOT sending/referring anyone atm and clinics not even that busy.

DVLA should be here in England were people are keen to work

Last edited:
Hi all. Just updating everyone on my situation

I had a medical on the 9/6/20 and DVLA said they received my boood results on 12/6/20. But the medical questionnaire that the dr fills in still hasn’t been received or most likely not scanned to the system. So DVLA is still drastically on reduced staff they said. As it’s nearly 2 weeks since my hro medical. I’m hoping to get a replythis week as my ban in up on the 26/6/20.

Keep being persistent guys and hang in there

Dear hsb123,
Thank you for your post and your encouragement. I am glad you are getting somewhere. I hope you get great news next week as lockdown in Wales begins to lift somewhat. I am awaiting a medical with an up on 6/07/20. This has been a long and difficult journey!

Spot on.
Only thing you forgot to mention is the lies lies and more lies dvla staff tells to people.
They said clinics are overwhelmed with covid patients and doctors got theirs hands full= BULSHIT.
I've rang two dvla appointed clinics and emailed one,they all said they're up and running(one with spaces for new appointments within the same week) but dvla is NOT sending/referring anyone atm and clinics not even that busy.

DVLA should be here in England were people are keen to work
Hi. Martini, I made enquiries at dvla approved clinic and they are ready to resume, only they've been given no go ahead from Swansea

Hi. Martini, I made enquiries at dvla approved clinic and they are ready to resume, only they've been given no go ahead from Swansea
That's what ive said. Clinics are waiting for us but dvla simply wont send paperwork/let us book medicals

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off