Coronavirus for HROs

Convicted Driver Insurance
This is all started to grind my gears ?
Now I know coronavirus is bad and every death is a big loss (including my family) but, how are the DVLA ever foreseeing being able to catchup on the backlog which has now formed?!?! I watched an article yesterday that followed a driving instructor who’s job had basically vanished with no sign of improving anytime soon? I was meant to be going to court to apply for my licence back early (haven’t drank since being charged with dd 27 months ago) and my court date has been postponed twice now!!!! Can’t see me driving this side of Christmas. Bonkers

That is absolutely ridiculous. I really feel sorry for you. I know that doesn’t help, but the obstacles you continue to face are making me angry, so I have no idea what they must be doing to you.
If this were me I’d be doing 3 things right now...
- write to my MP with all the info, including this latest ridiculous development
- seek free legal advice through an online motoring solicitor
- start the process of a formal complaint through the DVLA website

You may have just been unlucky with who you spoke to (a jobsworth). You are doing all you can to get back on the toad and move on with your life.
I need a lie down now to calm down.... keep us updated

Regarding the above points raised, I don't think writing to the local MP would be any use. Unfortunately, we are all convicted drink drivers and it is fair to say that many people & organisations have little sympathy with drink drivers and the situations we have put ourselves in. I cannot honestly see MPs taking the issue of the suspended medicals to task - it will simply be an attitude from parliament that we have been punished the hard way and as far as they are concerned they have other greater issues to take care of during the Covid19 epidemic.

I do think non drink drivers with on going medical issues who are being kept off the roads because of medical delays may get their foot in the door with their MP or Councillor but for the rest of us, I would forget this idea completely. I do apologise for being so blunt - I am a convicted drink driver myself serving my own ban until the end of the year so I understand the huge inconvenience this is causing. I am just being very honest and putting my own opinion on the table.

I do think the wheels of the DVLA have to start turning soon - the country is sliding into serious economic doom if Boris Johnson continues with the present lockdown. My theory is that medicals will probably resume again by June at the latest when non-essential businesses are allowed to re-open again.

CJ

Regarding the above points raised, I don't think writing to the local MP would be any use. Unfortunately, we are all convicted drink drivers and it is fair to say that many people & organisations have little sympathy with drink drivers and the situations we have put ourselves in. I cannot honestly see MPs taking the issue of the suspended medicals to task - it will simply be an attitude from parliament that we have been punished the hard way and as far as they are concerned they have other greater issues to take care of during the Covid19 epidemic.

I do think non drink drivers with on going medical issues who are being kept off the roads because of medical delays may get their foot in the door with their MP or Councillor but for the rest of us, I would forget this idea completely. I do apologise for being so blunt - I am a convicted drink driver myself serving my own ban until the end of the year so I understand the huge inconvenience this is causing. I am just being very honest and putting my own opinion on the table.

I do think the wheels of the DVLA have to start turning soon - the country is sliding into serious economic doom if Boris Johnson continues with the present lockdown. My theory is that medicals will probably resume again by June at the latest when non-essential businesses are allowed to re-open again.

CJ

Hi CJ,
With the greatest respect I think you are wrong. And even if MP’s wouldn’t take it seriously what harm is there in asking. Nobody is asking them to defend drink drivers (it is indefensible), but what they would be encouraged to do is challenge the process, and the unfair treatment of those trying all they can to get on with their lives. And for the record, I had a direct reply from my MP the same afternoon that I contacted them, and they contacted the DVLA on my behalf. I never had the heart (or balls) to tell him I didn’t vote Tory and never would after this debacle we’ve witnessed this year!

I still have to disagree with this.

My own MP is a staunch campaigner for road safety and regularly speaks out against things like parking outside schools and speed limits. Clearly 'helping' drink drivers get their licences back would be going against the grain of what she has spoke out about in the media.

The same MP also once spoke out about publicans taking more responsibility for the alcohol fueled behaviour of their customers.

As a convicted drink driver I would fail to see how speaking to the same MP would gain me any sympathy - I can just image being laughed out of the door!!!

CJ

I couldn't get one MLA or MP to take up my case in NI last year when it took 3 months to get my licence back. I sent the same letter to the SDLP, Alliance, Sinn Féin, UUP, DUP and People Before Profit to try and speed up my application.

I got the same sort of copy and paste responce that the system is in place to ensure that people with complex alcohol problems are not given a licence from all of the parties except the SDLP and Alliance who replied that they do not deal with helping drink drivers with applications. That's my personal experience with politicians in regards to drink driving and it is based on NI.

I have to agree with CJ here, I don't see any politician attaching their name to a cause that aids criminals. At the end of the day we are criminals and as such do not get the same treatment as normal folk. Could you imagine the outrage if it came out that an MP was helping a convicted drink driver get their licence back, they would be finished. I was naive to write to my representatives expecting them all to rally to my aid to get an extra vote, none of them did.

My point about contacting an MP was in response to foreverwaiting's plight about arranging a medical, and the shear lunacy of the DVLA of closing off every avenue she has explored. The process of the DVLA and medical testing is the issue here, not whether an MP would support a drink driver to get their license back. If the DVLA are being unreasonable, unclear or their process is adversely affecting an applicant, for whatever reason, MPs can at least contact the DVLA and get some clarity. That is the point I was making.
I don't think it is helpful to say 'I wouldn't contact my MP, an MP wouldn't help etc etc'..... it does no harm to try!
If foreverwaiting is still reading this post and using this site I hope they did explore every avenue, regardless of how unlikely they are to be successful.

Are we sure that DVLA have told doctors to not do the medicals though..... or have the doctors told DVLA that they will not do this type of work during the current virus situation, because they have stopped doing many other medical things as well. If that is the case, no amount of pressure on DVLA will alter the unavailability of medicals........

Are we sure that DVLA have told doctors to not do the medicals though..... or have the doctors told DVLA that they will not do this type of work during the current virus situation, because they have stopped doing many other medical things as well. If that is the case, no amount of pressure on DVLA will alter the unavailability of medicals........
I can shed some light on this. My medical was originally booked for about a week after lockdown started. My appointed DVLA doctor called me a week BEFORE lockdown saying the DVLA were telling her to cancel all medicals. She kindly moved my medical forwards a week to allow me to still have it. Then she called again on the night before my appointment saying lockdown had just been announced and she couldn’t do my appointment, which was booked for day 1 of lockdown.
So the DVLA were telling the doctors to cancel all medicals before lockdown was even announced. Also the DVLA cancelled all driving tests and everything else they cancelled for 12 weeks from 20th March, when the lockdown didn’t start till 23rd March. And it is the government that told the DVLA to do this.
EDIT: Also it is also worth mentioning that even before lockdown the DVLA doctor had to move all her appointments from the local Doctors practice to a different address because the practice was not allowing DVLA clients in the last days before lockdown.

In all fairness, I contacted my GP the other day about something completely unrelated to DVLA medicals, and the information that I got was that as it wasn’t either for prescription medication or regarding COVID-19, then it’ll sadly have to wait (despite it being a simple email with parts of my medical history). As my local surgery is small and the workforce even smaller, then unfortunately this is the situation that I find myself in.

I imagine that GPs have been told to prioritise essential work during the crisis rather than flat out to not do certain types of work - people still need vital medication and people still have accidents and heart attacks but unfortunately, as far as the DVLA see it, people aren’t going to die from not having a license for a few extra months. As annoying, frustrating and seemingly unjust as it is, things are now starting to slowly pick up again, so I wouldn’t be surprised that in a few more weeks, some good news appears through the appropriate channels.

It seems that the situation varies greatly from surgery to surgery. I managed to get an appointment to see my GP on Friday, for a cortisone injection for an old injury, the same day I asked for it... it usually takes approx. 6 weeks to get anywhere near the man. He said he's never known his surgery so quiet. Sorry, a bit off topic I know, but I just fail to understand why the DVLA has taken this stance with cancelling all medicals. My GP wore a mask, gloves and scrubs, and injected me in my ankle... no different to performing a medical and taking blood. But hey ho, the DVLA know best. I anticipate the situation will begin to pick up very soon.

My point about contacting an MP was in response to foreverwaiting's plight about arranging a medical, and the shear lunacy of the DVLA of closing off every avenue she has explored. The process of the DVLA and medical testing is the issue here, not whether an MP would support a drink driver to get their license back. If the DVLA are being unreasonable, unclear or their process is adversely affecting an applicant, for whatever reason, MPs can at least contact the DVLA and get some clarity. That is the point I was making.
I don't think it is helpful to say 'I wouldn't contact my MP, an MP wouldn't help etc etc'..... it does no harm to try!
If foreverwaiting is still reading this post and using this site I hope they did explore every avenue, regardless of how unlikely they are to be successful.
Hi thecheif5, I have been reading through but haven’t had the time to reply. Thankyou for your positivity as always. I have wrote a letter and emailed my local MP late last week so I am expecting a response next week at the earliest of course given the current climate. I have also spoken to my solicitor who said there is not a lot I can do unless I do end up losing my job he can take the loss of earnings route. I am also hoping that the petition I created three weeks ago will be published soon. You can now follow my progress and hear other people’s horrendous dealings with the DVLA on the twitter I’ve created here. I feel like I have exhausted nearly all avenues now.
I’m still trying to process the fact that I have a medical appointment booked in two weeks time that the DVLA are telling me I can’t attend because they won’t send my paperwork to their own doctor. Monday tomorrow, let’s see what phone calls I can make and what update I can give you and everyone that is reading.

Last edited:
Hi Price1367, I’m quite sure that is the DVLA telling the doctors not to do the medicals as I managed to get a CDT medical booked for two weeks time. The DVLA are refusing to send my paperwork to their own doctor. I’m guessing this is due to them trying to lower their workload but of course this doesn’t help my personal situation. It can’t be too hard to send over a DD2 form and questionnaire to a doctor that I have a booked appointment with.

Foreverwaiting, it may well be that you are right, and DVLA decided to stop the medicals, but it could have been in the light of many of their doctors saying that they were stopping private work and the worry that it would place under strain on the few that were prepared to continue. It could also be that the laboratory they use for testing CDT has either closed or transferred its work to COVID19 testing so a medical is pointless if the CDT result cannot be obtained. Before you press DVLA, perhaps you should get assurance from the doctor who has indicated that he is DVLA approved and is certain that he could get the CDT result within the tight 4 day timeframe that is apparently required?

I have read on here about blame being placed on DVLA for driving lessons and driving tests being cancelled but lessons are not available due to lockdown and social distancing. DVLA are not responsible for theory or practical tests, these fall under the DVSA, who are responsible for them being cancelled and, as the parent organisation for DVLA, no doubt ordered them to take the action that they have with reducing staff and workload.
As such, your complaints about the lack of workload by DVLA is best centred on DVSA.

Foreverwaiting, it may well be that you are right, and DVLA decided to stop the medicals, but it could have been in the light of many of their doctors saying that they were stopping private work and the worry that it would place under strain on the few that were prepared to continue. It could also be that the laboratory they use for testing CDT has either closed or transferred its work to COVID19 testing so a medical is pointless if the CDT result cannot be obtained. Before you press DVLA, perhaps you should get assurance from the doctor who has indicated that he is DVLA approved and is certain that he could get the CDT result within the tight 4 day timeframe that is apparently required?

I have read on here about blame being placed on DVLA for driving lessons and driving tests being cancelled but lessons are not available due to lockdown and social distancing. DVLA are not responsible for theory or practical tests, these fall under the DVSA, who are responsible for them being cancelled and, as the parent organisation for DVLA, no doubt ordered them to take the action that they have with reducing staff and workload.
As such, your complaints about the lack of workload by DVLA is best centred on DVSA.
Thankyou for the advice. Will definitely call the doctors today and ask, the lady I spoke to on the phone did reference the four day period as she said I couldn’t have my medical any earlier than two weeks time as there is a bank holiday coming up which effects blood test times.

I also had no idea that the DVSA was the parent company of the DVLA! Very useful information. Will see what avenues I can explore with them too.

Update: DVLA still refusing to transfer my documents over to the doctor who will carry out my medical and have advised me to cancel the appointment as it will be deemed invalid. Was told in “usual circumstances” they can change the doctor but have been advised by the government not to do so at this time.

They said that I will have to wait and see each lockdown review what the situation is and if lockdown is eased that is when I am most likely going to be able to get an appointment with my original doctor or be able to transfer doctors.

Called the doctors I have an appointment booked with and the lovely lady on the phone said she will keep me booked in for now just in case and to call two days before to see if there is any change, if not she will cancel. She also confirmed that they have been carrying out medicals with the CDT blood test throughout lockdown with no problems with people who have been referred to them.

Tried to call my doctors who I was allocated and the lady who deals with the DVLA appointments isn’t working today and will be in tomorrow. Looks like I’m waiting until tomorrow to see if there’s any movement with my original doctor.

DVLA are not being honest about doctors. Previously I have dealt with people where they have been sent to a doctor who is a long way away, or the nominated doctor cannot offer an appointment in the next 4 weeks and DVLA happily changed doctors for them. It was them that chose the other doctor though, never that the client chose one because the list of doctors is not published. Perhaps you have upset them by finding one on their list for yourself!

I'm in same boat . Was due licence back today but my CDT test got cancelled 2 months ago.

The DVLA won't let me use another DVLA appointed doctor , only the one they gave me in the letter. And they said the doctor's won't be doing any medicals for at least another 12 weeks starting from today

It's getting ridiculous now

So basically by reading everyone's experiences:
-for every 2 months delay people already have up to now, add up 3 months delay(medicals cancelled) on top of that plus 1 month assuming lockdown will continue.
-Plus a couple of months for DVLA to catch up assuming first banned first served,plus 3 usual weeks for tests results comeback etc.

Don't think anyone of us will be back on the roads this year..

So basically by reading everyone's experiences:
-for every 2 months delay people already have up to now, add up 3 months delay(medicals cancelled) on top of that plus 1 month assuming lockdown will continue.
-Plus a couple of months for DVLA to catch up assuming first banned first served,plus 3 usual weeks for tests results comeback etc.

Don't think anyone of us will be back on the roads this year..
Hi, just received email dvla closed over weekend and holiday Monday nice! And still not receiving applications, unless critical worker..

I'm in same boat . Was due licence back today but my CDT test got cancelled 2 months ago.

The DVLA won't let me use another DVLA appointed doctor , only the one they gave me in the letter. And they said the doctor's won't be doing any medicals for at least another 12 weeks starting from today

It's getting ridiculous now
Wow that’s new info! I received a letter dated the 23rd of May stating 12 weeks from the date of the letter. If you’re being told 12 weeks from today that puts us into the second week of August.

Looks like my 6 month ban is fast becoming a year.

Sorry to hear you are in the same shitty boat as me. Hopefully our original doctors we were allocated will start taking appointments soon.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off