Coronavirus for HROs

Convicted Driver Insurance
tell me about it should of had my license back on 11 June! Not even had a medical yet 😭
Sounds like we are in same boat. My ban finishes on 31st July, sent application 21st of June and still not even been told which doctor they are sending me too! Frustrating to say the least, I’ve sent complaints, emails, additional letters and got nothing in return. It blows my mind that the DVLA can still be pushing the social distancing line, I would love to see their offices, is it a shed somewhere!?! 😂

it’s a joke really is I have a Dvla doctor literally round the corner to me and they won’t just let me go and book the medical in either! It would bloody speed things up. They’ve told me to call back in two weeks!!!!! Then I still need to make an appointment for medical and wait my results!

it’s a joke really is I have a Dvla doctor literally round the corner to me and they won’t just let me go and book the medical in either! It would bloody speed things up. They’ve told me to call back in two weeks!!!!! Then I still need to make an appointment for medical and wait my results!
Yup, I've been told by dvla on the phone yesterday "every doctor has been dispatched to fight covid19 frontline,so no doctors available and dvla clinics are all closed"

Yup, I've been told by dvla on the phone yesterday "every doctor has been dispatched to fight covid19 frontline,so no doctors available and dvla clinics are all closed"
Hi sorry that's completely ridiculous, I've just got my licence in my hand had medical 9th july amongst many others,

Hi sorry that's completely ridiculous, I've just got my licence in my hand had medical 9th july amongst many others,
The DVLA are liars and should be held to account. Totally unacceptable that they are doing this to people who have right on their side!

They won't let us book medical and that's what they say.
Next time I'll ring im gonna tell them i know clinics are open to see what they say about that.

They won't let us book medical and that's what they say.
Next time I'll ring im gonna tell them i know clinics are open to see what they say about that.
I’ve spoken to a doctor and he told me they are doing medicals he just needs my barcode to book me in. Which I am chasing daily 😭

So I called DVLA today to get an update since my medical exam which was 11 days ago. They told me they had recieved the blood results (obviously not telling me what they were) and recieved the questionaire. She couldn't give me a timescale on when I would recieve my licence either but said we would write out to you for the next steps. Also was told that the medical team need to review the information now. I wanted to try and put my mind at rest by asking is everything looking positive, and she just replied 'everything is where it's supppsed to be'.

The 'next step' response has left me feeling a bit uneasy. Surely the next step is to recieve my licence if everything was ok?

I also asked about that some people filling out the medical questionaires themselves beforehand and taken it to the exam yet mine was filled out by the doctor and only a handful of questions was asked, but was told that it was standard procedure for the doctor to do it.

Last edited:
So I called DVLA today to get an update since my medical exam which was 11 days ago. They told me they had recieved the blood results (obviously not telling me what they were) and recieved the questionaire. She couldn't give me a timescale on when I would recieve my licence either but said we would write out to you for the next steps. Also was told that the medical team need to review the information now. I wanted to try and put my mind at rest by asking is everything looking positive, and she just replied 'everything is where it's supppsed to be'.

The 'next step' response has left me feeling a bit uneasy. Surely the next step is to recieve my licence if everything was ok?

I also asked about that some people filling out the medical questionaires themselves beforehand and taken it to the exam yet mine was filled out by the doctor and only a handful of questions was asked, but was told that it was standard procedure for the doctor to do it.
Just check the online DVLA licence site a couple of times a day ( https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence ). It is updated much quicker than waiting for a letter. Once the site says you can drive, you can. You don't have to wait for the actual licence to be sent through. Good luck !:cool:

Hi, it really depends on your circumstances , medical history`, and how you answered the questionarre, they can and usually do write out to your GP on a number of occasions including mental health including anxiety&depression or if you are taking any regular medication, if DVLA are to issue a licence out after a medical usually this is done within `the first Severn days, there are a number of "next steps" DVLA will use whilst investigations are taking place including more DVLA medicals, I myself attended 4 DVLA medicals before my one year "period review licence " was issued.......

Hi, it really depends on your circumstances , medical history`, and how you answered the questionarre, they can and usually do write out to your GP on a number of occasions including mental health including anxiety&depression or if you are taking any regular medication, if DVLA are to issue a licence out after a medical usually this is done within `the first Severn days, there are a number of "next steps" DVLA will use whilst investigations are taking place including more DVLA medicals, I myself attended 4 DVLA medicals before my one year "period review licence " was issued.......

Thanks for the info. This was my first offence, I got a dr30 for failing to provide. Never been classed as dependant either. I havent seen my gp in over a year and not on any meds. I also abstained a good month before the medical. I mentioned before that the doctor who filled out my questionaire did so very quickley, only asking me 4 questions.

Interestingly he didnt ask about my mental health at all even though I have a medical history of depression.

I've just got home from the gym and logged onto the DVLA portal and my issue number has changed from 19 to 20!!! So amazingly happy!! They have issued me a full licence with no restrictions. After all this panic, a year of no driving and the suspense of hearing back on the medical it's certainally not one I wish to repeat again! I really hope everyone who hasn't been able to book a medical yet that it all works out. Keep on at DVLA. Thanks also to this hugely valuable forum and to everyone who has taken the time to offer me their advice and share their own experiences.

Last edited:
Well the DVLA rang me today to tell me I have been reissued with my licence and can drive from midnight tonight. Happy days

My CDT result came back and it was 0.6%. I didn't drink for 19 days prior to my medical and I was taking 50mg iron everyday which I've heard can help lower CDT.

I'll tell you my story so it might help people...

My ban was up on may 18th and my medical was originally booked previously in march but was cancelled due to covid 19. I then tried to get my medical done at the Aveley medical centre in Essex but the DVLA would NOT forward on paperwork and this still seems to be the case. Only if you are a priority will they do this !

I wrote to my local MP explaining my situation, and he wrote to the DVLA which DOES help as they contacted me by phone a couple of weeks later. I was then told I was upgraded to a priority . They did allow me then to have my medical at aveley but ironically the medical centre where I originally sent was reopening in a weeks time anyway. So I just booked it there .

On the 14th July I had my medical. For good measure I wrote an email to Tim.burton@dvla.gov.uk as I was told he is very good at speeding things up. 1 hour after emailing , I got a phone call reassuring I was still on the priority list and when they received paperwork, I would get a call back

On the 28th I received a phone call letting my know my licence has been reissued.

So for anyone struggling , try writing to your local MP and come up with a good reason for needing your licence back early . Mine was pretty valid as I work for a motor company and needed it back asap.

And then emailing Tim Burton . Everyone I've spoke to has had a positive response from him so that's worth doing .

Keep chasing and don't lie down! Good luck to all trying to get there licence back .

As posted previously on here, I recieved my letter on 20th June from the DVLA stating that they are not doing medicals. On the Monday I phoned a clinic about 1hr 30mins away that other people had managed to get booked into. They requested my DVLA paperwork and phoned me the next day (23rd June) to arrange my medical, which is this coming Thursday, 2nd July.
Now yesterday in the post I recieved a letter from the DVLA (dated 23rd June) inviting me to make my medical appointment, and that my nearest clinic is ironically, the one I've already booked.
It's probably just coincidence, and they've sent it off the back of sending my paperwork to the clinic, but I'd like to think that they are starting to arrange appointments and give you guys some hope.
I need my medical however don’t know any places nearby that do it... as I haven’t received any information from DVLA today is my ban end date!

Just been reading Deano's good news.

On the subject of the DVLA - does anyone on this forum know when the DVLA are going to actually drop all their restrictions over sanctioning medicals for non key workers?

I understand the Prime Minister announced a few weeks ago that he wants employees to return to their respective workplaces from the 1st August (this Saturday) as long as it is safe to do so.

Surely the DVLA cannot continue this charade any longer?

I am not a key worker but I am starting to get anxious as I should be getting notified about my own medical in September.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off