Coronavirus for HROs

Convicted Driver Insurance
I do think that it is early days to pre-judge what will happen about the suspension of DVLA medicals.

Don't forget the new rules about lockdown only start tomorrow (Wednesday 13th May) and its fair to say certain procedures and protocol will take time to pick up in most organisations. It is not necessary something that can happen over night.

Like I've said to everyone previously on here - is being delayed your licence back as bad as losing a friend or family member to Covid19?

I do genuinely think that the medicals will have to resume again soon because of the points I raised in my earlier thread.

CJ

Its all down to politics.

We all know the Welsh and the Scots hate the English so their local governments do the opposite what the prime minister says.In England most state services like benefits,dss etc even energy firms offices are open.
But in Wales nooo, "we're still in lockdown because we're getting paid for it" including staff at DVLA,wherever runs that place certainly don't give a toss about people like me and you that have to get public transport to work and expose myself to covid-19 because they are "closed". If other major British public services managed to run ok so far during this pandemic why they cant?

Its all down to politics.

We all know the Welsh and the Scots hate the English so their local governments do the opposite what the prime minister says.In England most state services like benefits,dss etc even energy firms offices are open.
But in Wales nooo, "we're still in lockdown because we're getting paid for it" including staff at DVLA,wherever runs that place certainly don't give a toss about people like me and you that have to get public transport to work and expose myself to covid-19 because they are "closed". If other major British public services managed to run ok so far during this pandemic why they cant?
Wow Martini, you need to do your home work and read a bit more into forum, politics isn't the issue, it's pre covid dvla inept service from dvla. So you've got a valid point on that score. As I've said recently dvla are open for business re auction of reg plates no problem nice "earner" Also iam from Scotland and have no k time for sepritist policy's from our first minister! Another point in Northern Ireland they have a separate DVLA and seems to work infinately better. And no cdt test just liver function tests and cooperation from your GP. Regards Aron10

So I got banned , fair enough I've served my time over 12 months and taken my course . But need an hro medical to get my licence back . All medicals cancelled .

Licence would of been due back next week on the 18th may.

I understand the severity of covid 19. But I think the way the DVLA are handling it is nothing short of a disgrsce.

Now I have to use public transport to get to work putting my colleagues ,my family and the country at risk. How is DVLA stopping people from driving helping the country ?

If my daughter gets covid 19 anytime after the 18th may I'm going to be fuming with the DVLA.

DVLA are still dealing with auctioning cherished number plates, but this is done by a separate company based in Leeds, and online only in time limited auctions so there is no comparison between that and the huge operation that is DVL Swansea.
I would prefer CDT tests over Liver Function Tests as the latter have a much higher rate of false positives for conditions other than alcohol abuse.
one last point about Northern Ireland... whilst most offenders tend to just get a 12 month ban, unlike the sliding scale in England and Wales, ALL drink drivers must retake their test before they get a full licence back.

No, just Northern Ireland, unless the court order a resit, which is normally only for old drivers after a RTC or very newly qualified drivers. They would tell you that when you are sentenced.

DVLA are still dealing with auctioning cherished number plates, but this is done by a separate company based in Leeds, and online only in time limited auctions so there is no comparison between that and the huge operation that is DVL Swansea.
I would prefer CDT tests over Liver Function Tests as the latter have a much higher rate of false positives for conditions other than alcohol abuse.
one last point about Northern Ireland... whilst most offenders tend to just get a 12 month ban, unlike the sliding scale in England and Wales, ALL drink drivers must retake their test before they get a full licence back.
Hi isn't lft testing part of the process in terms of medical assessment anyway. I would have no issue with sitting a driving test.

Left was part of the DVLA assessment until about 5 years ago when it was replaced with CDT. if a person is deemed to by abusing alcohol or dependent they will accept periodic LFT tests from you GP as evidence of abstention As a part of the ongoing assessment.

Aye, we mainly all get 12 month bans reduced to 9 with the course regardless of how high your reading is in NI, mine was 93 and 9 months with the course.

That's offset by a larger fine and having to resit both parts of the test. Also to apply for your licence as a HRO in NI is £323.50 so on the whole our bans are shorter, but our fees and fines across the board are higher.

Hi again everyone

Thankyou all for you kind words and support I have had a read through but havent has the time to respond to you, had a tough week trying to keep my job without my license.

Update from today: found a DVLA appointed doctor that has been taking CDT medical appointments throughout the whole of lockdown. Got an appointment booked for two weeks time. To say I was over the moon was a huge understatement.

This happiness was quickly shut down by the DVLA who told me upon calling them that it has to be the doctor they have sent my paperwork to and they can’t change it even though that doctor isn’t carrying out medicals for the foreseeable future. They won’t send my paperwork to the new doctor under any circumstances.

If anyone on here can give me some sort of legal advice on how I can take this a step higher that would be brilliant. I can not get my head around why they won’t send my paperwork to the doctor that works for them???????

Hi again everyone

Thankyou all for you kind words and support I have had a read through but havent has the time to respond to you, had a tough week trying to keep my job without my license.

Update from today: found a DVLA appointed doctor that has been taking CDT medical appointments throughout the whole of lockdown. Got an appointment booked for two weeks time. To say I was over the moon was a huge understatement.

This happiness was quickly shut down by the DVLA who told me upon calling them that it has to be the doctor they have sent my paperwork to and they can’t change it even though that doctor isn’t carrying out medicals for the foreseeable future. They won’t send my paperwork to the new doctor under any circumstances.

If anyone on here can give me some sort of legal advice on how I can take this a step higher that would be brilliant. I can not get my head around why they won’t send my paperwork to the doctor that works for them???????

That is absolutely ridiculous. I really feel sorry for you. I know that doesn’t help, but the obstacles you continue to face are making me angry, so I have no idea what they must be doing to you.
If this were me I’d be doing 3 things right now...
- write to my MP with all the info, including this latest ridiculous development
- seek free legal advice through an online motoring solicitor
- start the process of a formal complaint through the DVLA website

You may have just been unlucky with who you spoke to (a jobsworth). You are doing all you can to get back on the toad and move on with your life.
I need a lie down now to calm down.... keep us updated

That is absolutely ridiculous. I really feel sorry for you. I know that doesn’t help, but the obstacles you continue to face are making me angry, so I have no idea what they must be doing to you.
If this were me I’d be doing 3 things right now...
- write to my MP with all the info, including this latest ridiculous development
- seek free legal advice through an online motoring solicitor
- start the process of a formal complaint through the DVLA website

You may have just been unlucky with who you spoke to (a jobsworth). You are doing all you can to get back on the toad and move on with your life.
I need a lie down now to calm down.... keep us updated
Thankyou thechief5 I’m going to do all of the above you have recommended as I am at my wits end with this. Surely it can’t be that difficult for the DVLA to search their system for the doctor I have found and send my paperwork to them.

I would understand a bit more if I wasn’t a key worker but the utter nonsense they are spouting on Twitter about they are prioritising key workers applications is starting to get to me. I am dealing with clients that have covid-19 and getting buses home. I am putting myself, the public and my other clients at risk and they couldn’t give two ****s excuse my french.

I will be calling the DVLA again on Monday to see if I can get someone to help me also. Will update you when I have, hopefully it will be good news next time.

Thankyou thechief5 I’m going to do all of the above you have recommended as I am at my wits end with this. Surely it can’t be that difficult for the DVLA to search their system for the doctor I have found and send my paperwork to them.

I would understand a bit more if I wasn’t a key worker but the utter nonsense they are spouting on Twitter about they are prioritising key workers applications is starting to get to me. I am dealing with clients that have covid-19 and getting buses home. I am putting myself, the public and my other clients at risk and they couldn’t give two ****s excuse my french.

I will be calling the DVLA again on Monday to see if I can get someone to help me also. Will update you when I have, hopefully it will be good news next time.

I really hope you get better, more sensible news next time.
In addition to you phoning them, I would also fill out their online contact form, as you can state all the things that concern you in a clear, concise way, and mention you are taking this further (legally). Even if you are not I always find it helps! Hopefully then it may be passed to someone a bit higher up or who may have some more common sense. I’ve always found the online message service works well, and you get a call back from an appropriate person, rather than some random call handler.
Good luck ?

Hi again everyone

I absolutely concur with the chief5, this self appointed award winning! Call centre is, as I've already said a pigeon box exercise, there's no recourse in asking for referral enquiries to someone senior. The dvla are accountable to no one their not fit for purpose. From the further information route to complaints procedures they unaccountable. I'm talking about pre covid. Grice on this forum comments that they have a huge workload.. I wonder how that stacks up against say HMRC who at present have a mountain of work and... Well no problems there eh!!

I absolutely concur with the chief5, this self appointed award winning! Call centre is, as I've already said a pigeon box exercise, there's no recourse in asking for referral enquiries to someone senior. The dvla are accountable to no one their not fit for purpose. From the further information route to complaints procedures they unaccountable. I'm talking about pre covid. Grice on this forum comments that they have a huge workload.. I wonder how that stacks up against say HMRC who at present have a mountain of work and... Well no problems there eh!!
That was price not grice96

Hi everyone, me again!

I’ve had messages from a few of you asking where I found the info for the DVLA appointed doctor that would carry out the medical for me. Here’s the link with a list of all the DVLA appointed doctors in the UK: .

Hi everyone, me again!

I’ve had messages from a few of you asking where I found the info for the DVLA appointed doctor that would carry out the medical for me.
If you got a doctor from that list, I think I know why DVLA refused to let you use him / her..... That is NOT a list of DVLA approved doctors, it is the list of doctors for the. Maritime Coastguard Agency medicals so unless you want to get approval for driving or crewing a boat I suggest you don’t pester them.......
The clue is in the full web address for the link given, shown below: MCA = Maritime coastguard Agency.

Last edited:
If you got a doctor from that list, I think I know why DVLA refused to let you use him / her..... That is NOT a list of DVLA approved doctors, it is the list of doctors for the. Maritime Coastguard Agency medicals so unless you want to get approval for driving or crewing a boat I suggest you don’t pester them.......
The clue is in the full web address for the link given, shown below: MCA = Maritime coastguard Agency.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/884940/MCA_Approved_Doctors
_in_UK_12_May_2020_v0.2.pdf

I am not aware of ANY published list for DVLA doctors.
How strange, the lady I spoke to on the phone knew exactly what I was calling for and asked me if it was for a CDT blood test. Maybe I just got lucky?
The DVLA wouldn’t even take the name or address of the doctor that I’ve booked the medical with so that’s not why they refused. They just refused to let me use any other doctor on the planet apart from the one I was allocated.

How strange, the lady I spoke to on the phone knew exactly what I was calling for and asked me if it was for a CDT blood test. Maybe I just got lucky?
The DVLA wouldn’t even take the name or address of the doctor that I’ve booked the medical with so that’s not why they refused. They just refused to let me use any other doctor on the planet apart from the one I was allocated.
Following on from price1367’s reply. I’m sorry if I got anyone’s hopes up with the list and you haven’t been as lucky as me with getting through to a DVLA doctor (not that I’m going to be able to attend by the looks of things anyway). I am going to call them again on Monday to double check what I’m booked in for so will update you when I have one.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off