Coronavirus for HROs

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi All,

Just wanted to hear other people’s experiences and thought it would be worth me sharing mine also.

I am at the end of a 6 month ban which was due to end on the 9th of April. My medical was booked for the 27th of March which I tried to attend but was turned away at the front desk being told that the DVLA should have contacted me to cancel.

I have received a letter stating that: “due to the ongoing situation with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the previous examanation can no longer go ahead and we are unable to request a new examination for the next twelve weeks.”

I have called the DVLA regarding this letter and have been advised that there is nothing I can do. I can not book the medical using a private doctor and they are not dealing with medicals for people who have had their licenses revoked whatsoever as they are prioritising HGV and NHS worker medical.

I can understand the developing situation with corona virus and am sympathetic to those affected worse than I, however adding another 3 months onto my ban is heartbreaking as I had work lined up which requires me to drive which now will not be possible.

The DVLA said they will contact me if anything changes and if we can get medicals any sooner but can not give definitive answers having never experienced something like this before.

I wanted to start this thread for others to share their experiences and if there is any news on us getting a medical before MID JUNE we can discuss that here.

I have been sober since my ban and this whole situation is making me think what was the point!

The point is when you do attend a DVLA medical you will have a nice low CDT reading regarding your licence, I know it's hard but hang on in there you'll be surprised how quick the time will go, I was there last year, I think what everybody needs to do is concentrate on staying alive for now.....

In the grand scheme of things having to wait longer for your licence is minor in comparison to what is going on at the moment across the country.

People are losing loved ones and will continue to lose more loved ones in coming weeks until we see the back of this retched virus. Stay positive and be thankful you have your health & well being above all else and family & friends who are staying safe.

CJ

I am stuck in COVID 19 limbo. 1 year licence expired January. Usual waiting game while DVLA contacted my GP. Then they wanted me in for a medical, fair enough. Tried to book medical numerous times but unable to get through to allocated GP surgery. Finally got through, "you'll have to call back next week, the lady that deals with DVLA is on holiday". Called back, DVLA services cancelled due to COVID 19 advised to contact DVLA. Gave me name of a surgery approx. 50 miles away, well how am I going to get down there with no licence and lockdown looming?
DVLA advised me to ask my GP to provide information that I am fit to drive , as even though I am a HRO I have held a licence for a year following my ban I can apply under section 88.
Then I get COVID symptoms, that's me indoors for a week and during that time lockdown starts! All family that live nearby scatter behind closed doors so unable to rely on lifts, instead they are relying on me for shopping medication etc. Buses not good and over an hours walk to work along busy bendy A road with no pavement or pitch black lanes.
My GP surgery advised me to send an "e consult" form which I did a week ago and received the call back today, "Sorry Dr so and so is holiday at the moment call us back in 2 weeks. " Holiday..... Hmmm, you mean he is in isolation for 2 weeks.

My workplace will not have me stay on site.
So at the moment not really any choice but to drive without licence because Im a nurse. I really hope if I get caught I will have a sympathetic policeman.
Difficult times for everyone at the moment. Things will get worse before they get better, but we will get through this, with or without a licence which is in the great scheme of things is an annoyance.
Stay safe everyone.

Morning

Although I appreciate your difficult circumstances there is still no excuse for driving because your licence has expired!!!!!

If you get caught (which is highly likely in the current climate) the police WILL seize your car & you'll be reported for no insurance and driving whilst in accordance with a licence in which you'll be looking at fines and a huge release fee for the car. Even though you have been back behind the wheel since your ban came to an end, the court may impose a further ban (I wouldn't like to say!). Key worker or not, if a cop pulls you THEY WILL deal with you robustly - they have to because it's their duty!!!!!

The last remark of 'stay safe' is a bit absurd because what you are doing is anything but safe - if you have an accident on route to work you are not covered by your insurance and neither is the other driver. Unfortunately, the Coronavirus epidemic has inconvenienced most people, some more than others and I'm sure there are many banned drivers or other drivers with a licence that has expired who could argue they have to drive for a multitude of reasons because of what's happened across the country but sadly if you do you'll still be dealt with by the police/courts.

My own advice would be to arrange a private chat with your supervisor & line manager. They have a duty of care towards you & in theory they may have to arrange alternative arrangements for you during the epidemic or until you are legally able to drive. If this doesn't work I would seek advice from a Union rep because you cannot be expected to do what you are doing in the present circumstances.

Good luck anyway.

CJ

I will just reiterate !

If you start drinking or your consumption increases during this unpresidented times !
The DVLA will have zero sympathy for anyone so remember your weekly intake is zero yes nil be safe X

No worries.

Employers have some legal duty of care to all employees and in this case you have been put in a precarious situation through no fault of your own.

Employers cannot force you into a corner to potentially commit traffic/criminal offences like this, otherwise you have strong grounds to take your employers to an employment tribunal. As long as they are aware of the original reasons for losing your licence the ball is in your favour & you can even dig your heels in and not go into work if they do not come up with a contingency plan to support you until the medical with the GP/DVLA is sorted.

Like I said good luck & all the best.

CJ

I would personally try the GPs again it doesn't necessarily have to be your own GP, explain your a key worker, you only need their blessing and then you can continue on a section 88, DVLA will be fine with that given the current circumstances......they only need to say your fit to drive....which you are....

I would personally try the GPs again it doesn't necessarily have to be your own GP, explain your a key worker, you only need their blessing and then you can continue on a section 88, DVLA will be fine with that given the current circumstances......they only need to say your fit to drive....which you are....
Thanks Honestman, unfortunately I have tried this and the doctor I was allocated by the DVLA is not accepting medicals whatsoever. I’m guessing why this was turned away on the day. I spoke to the DVLA about using any other doctor as I’m sure I could find one that could do a medical for me but was told, twice on both occasions I called, that the DVLA must write to the doctor that I am attending otherwise the medical would be invalid. They would also not write to another doctor for me at this time as they are focusing on key workers which I understand but is just an awful situation for me personally. I have been out of work since my ban due to my skill set involving having to drive to get any work so my savings are stretched as it is. Had to turn down a really well paid job for the second time and I don’t think they’ll give me a third chance now. Bummer but I am a drop in the ocean compared to what is happening in our country right now so I will roll with the punches like I have been for the past six months!

Hi, perfect thread to urge me to contribute my sorry saga.Medical cancelled fortnight ago 20th March booked in for 1st April,18 month ban due to end midnight Sunday 5th.Delay with DVLA invite for medical as declared medical condition when applying for licence back in January.Health professionals replied to DVLA Feb 12th and having spoken to them Wednesday have declared fit to drive,my invitation for HRO medical therefore delayed until they received said info and i received my invite letter 10th March booked earliest availability being 1st April obviously cancelled.
Managed to get through to DVLA Tuesday after many calls and inform them i am a key worker, their response which must be standard was DVLA will write to you.
Frustrating indeed. Course completed Feb 2019 and paid for, the worst i was expecting was a delay until late April as my medical was late due to other enquiries they had to follow up on.
What choice is there other than to suck it up and hope this virus has less and less impact soon.

The only concern I have with still allowing key workers their medicals & licences during the epidemic is that many hundreds of people coming to the end of their ban right now will try and argue they are a key worker when in fact they are not! ?

The term key worker refers to people working for the emergency services & NHS. Unfortunately, there are people out there still working in supermarkets & in the transport sector who could be classed as key workers. The term key worker hasn't been made clear enough and I have a feeling many people struggling to get the licences back may try any avenue to apply for their licence if they get it back sooner. The problem is that the DVLA may have created a rod for the own back here. ?

CJ

The only concern I have with still allowing key workers their medicals & licences during the epidemic is that many hundreds of people coming to the end of their ban right now will try and argue they are a key worker when in fact they are not! ?

The term key worker refers to people working for the emergency services & NHS. Unfortunately, there are people out there still working in supermarkets & in the transport sector who could be classed as key workers. The term key worker hasn't been made clear enough and I have a feeling many people struggling to get the licences back may try any avenue to apply for their licence if they get it back sooner. The problem is that the DVLA may have created a rod for the own back here. ?

CJ
Hi CJ, this isn’t true. I have called and spoke to the DVLA and they have made it very clear to me on both occasions that the key workers they are prioritising are nhs workers, nurses, doctors etc and HGV medicals. Anyone else will get turned away.

foreverwaiting

It does seem a little unfair this process because like I say there are many people who I believe fall into the 'key worker' category such as carers for the elderly/disabled, drug & alcohol treatment workers, people working in shops supplying food & essential items and there's one lad I know working for Network Rail who responds to emergency track maintenance and he is presently serving a driving ban. I would argue that all of these people are doing important key jobs during virus lockdown but would have to wait for their licences.

CJ

I complet
foreverwaiting

It does seem a little unfair this process because like I say there are many people who I believe fall into the 'key worker' category such as carers for the elderly/disabled, drug & alcohol treatment workers, people working in shops supplying food & essential items and there's one lad I know working for Network Rail who responds to emergency track maintenance and he is presently serving a driving ban. I would argue that all of these people are doing important key jobs during virus lockdown but would have to wait for their licences.

CJ
I completely agree. I sympathise with everyone who is currently serving a ban and also being forced to put themselves and others at risk by getting public transport to work and then interacting with more people at work furthering the risk of the virus spreading. I am in the same postition regarding being a carer for my grandparents. I told the DVLA this when I spoke to them and that I am putting them at risk using cabs and public transport to reach them but this is however not regarded by them as serious enough for me to warrant getting a medical. I even asked if I was to speak to the NHS and get some sort of official approval that I am their main care provider if it would be possible. Still a hard no. Looks like a 6 month ban is most likely now going to be 9 months+.

Hi All,

Just wanted to hear other people’s experiences and thought it would be worth me sharing mine also.

I am at the end of a 6 month ban which was due to end on the 9th of April. My medical was booked for the 27th of March which I tried to attend but was turned away at the front desk being told that the DVLA should have contacted me to cancel.

I have received a letter stating that: “due to the ongoing situation with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the previous examanation can no longer go ahead and we are unable to request a new examination for the next twelve weeks.”

I have called the DVLA regarding this letter and have been advised that there is nothing I can do. I can not book the medical using a private doctor and they are not dealing with medicals for people who have had their licenses revoked whatsoever as they are prioritising HGV and NHS worker medical.

I can understand the developing situation with corona virus and am sympathetic to those affected worse than I, however adding another 3 months onto my ban is heartbreaking as I had work lined up which requires me to drive which now will not be possible.

The DVLA said they will contact me if anything changes and if we can get medicals any sooner but can not give definitive answers having never experienced something like this before.

I wanted to start this thread for others to share their experiences and if there is any news on us getting a medical before MID JUNE we can discuss that here.

I have been sober since my ban and this whole situation is making me think what was the point!
Hi Mate i can fully empathise with you on this ,no doubt there are plenty of others same situation .My revocation was up 28/02/20. Aside from the current virus situation which has ramifications for everyone...My gripe is with the painfully slow process b4 Covid 19. DVLA medical section seems to be completely unable to provide any kind of reasonable timescales. I got a txt reminder from DVLA appointed doc and sadly was the day after lockdown. so I attended surgery as instructed........ empty ,never got txt to say cancelled nothing. Ive received the same letter as you. Don't hold your breath as they say Regards A

To be fair, I've been getting a little worried and stressed too. I originally had a 17th month driving ban back in July 2019 for failing to provide. It was my first offence. I paid and went on a drink driving course to have it reduced by 4 months from 18th December 2020 to the 18th August 2020. I was anticipating hearing from the DVLA next month to re-apply for my licence and sort the medical. However after reading many threads and posts on here it seems the COVID-19 situation has taken over and looks like I won't be able to drive on the 18th August. I do sympathise and realise though that people are dying everyday from COVID-19 and that at the end of the day I'm fortunate to still be alive however we do all still need some hope and inspiration during these hard times of lockdown and isolation and the end of my ban on the 18th August was a major incentive for me to keep off the alcohol and have something to look forward to. I will still continue to keep off the alcohol as I have come so far and worked too hard to give up when I'm so close. I think the only main frustration comes from the fact that I paid to go on a course to have my ban reduced and now it looks set to be just as long as the original ban date.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off