Cop that messed up

Convicted Driver Insurance

Robob

Hi guys, got caught a couple weeks back, blew a 77 at the station which being in Scotland makes me 3 and a half times over the limit.

Long story short, I'm a cop and I am buggered. Not only am I up for drink driving but the whole thing has brought out a bunch of historical family stuff.

Attended an incident at work that involved a child assault, last night shift so it was a mad rush. Unfortunately I suffered very similar stuff in my childhood that I shoved to the back of my mind and attending this incident at work brought it all back.

Basically I couldn't handle it and went on an absolute binge.

And well here I am. No excuses, fact is I should know better than anyone.

Since getting stopped I've been seeing a counselor about my childhood stuff which is something I strongly recommend to those who have been through similar things. I've also been in touch with the National Association for People abused in childhood.

Probably going to lose my job out of it regardless of the circumstances but we take responsibility for our mistakes.

Thanks guys,

Look forward to chatting with you all

Things happen to make us do daft things,Just opened a letter from the dvla and they have refused to return my licence after 7 years

Friendly forum is this site,Will you manage with loosing your job
Yeah getting stuff lined up. I've yet to have my day in court but once I'm sentenced a professional standards investigation starts which will quite possibly result in dismissal.

All depends on how they take the circumstances I suppose

Yeah getting stuff lined up. I've yet to have my day in court but once I'm sentenced a professional standards investigation starts which will quite possibly result in dismissal.

All depends on how they take the circumstances I suppose
Not good to loose the job and licence,When i had my meeting for the court with the probation officer he said that he had even judges seen done so we are all human,I have waited 6 years to apply for mine back but had letter today turning me down due to the fact i had counselling a couple of years back.

Not good to loose the job and licence,When i had my meeting for the court with the probation officer he said that he had even judges seen done so we are all human,I have waited 6 years to apply for mine back but had letter today turning me down due to the fact i had counselling a couple of years back.
how come you had to wait six years to apply ?

Ban was only for 18 months but i had an accident cutting my fingers off in work so was drinking a lot to deal with the pain,Hand is ok now but really hard going not being able to work at the time

Hi guys, got caught a couple weeks back, blew a 77 at the station which being in Scotland makes me 3 and a half times over the limit.

Long story short, I'm a cop and I am buggered. Not only am I up for drink driving but the whole thing has brought out a bunch of historical family stuff.

Attended an incident at work that involved a child assault, last night shift so it was a mad rush. Unfortunately I suffered very similar stuff in my childhood that I shoved to the back of my mind and attending this incident at work brought it all back.

Since getting stopped I've been seeing a counselor about my childhood stuff which is something I strongly recommend to those who have been through similar things. I've also been in touch with the National Association for People abused in childhood.

Probably going to lose my job out of it regardless of the circumstances but we take responsibility for our mistakes.

Thanks guys,

i am ex police myself and a sympathise with you. the horrible things we deal with as a part of the job are not supposed to affect us because we are professionals..... but we are human as well and there is so much in the job that can trigger our own bad experiences.
ACPO policy in England that if you get convicted of drink driving as a serving officer then you are sacked. I expect it is the same in Scotland so you are right to prepare for this.
if it helps you deal with your past to be able to move on, they maybe some good will come from the drink drive conviction. By all means blame yourself for messing up, but then look to the future. When I was coming up for retirement I thought “right, what skills have I got..... well I can lock people up, but that didn’t seem to be a useful skill to offer. Then I realised the people skills you take for granted as a police officer, report writing skills, quick decision making, reliability and you then realise you have a whole set of skills that awe welcome outside the police.
Good luck with your court appearance and whatever life brings you after that.

i am ex police myself and a sympathise with you. the horrible things we deal with as a part of the job are not supposed to affect us because we are professionals..... but we are human as well and there is so much in the job that can trigger our own bad experiences.
ACPO policy in England that if you get convicted of drink driving as a serving officer then you are sacked. I expect it is the same in Scotland so you are right to prepare for this.
if it helps you deal with your past to be able to move on, they maybe some good will come from the drink drive conviction. By all means blame yourself for messing up, but then look to the future. When I was coming up for retirement I thought “right, what skills have I got..... well I can lock people up, but that didn’t seem to be a useful skill to offer. Then I realised the people skills you take for granted as a police officer, report writing skills, quick decision making, reliability and you then realise you have a whole set of skills that awe welcome outside the police.
Good luck with your court appearance and whatever life brings you after that.
Thanks price,

Yeah it's not going to be a fun hearing. On the plus side I checked with my local college and the head of legal studies has already told me that being a cop would be more than equivalent experience to get onto a legal management course as I'd have more experience than the vast majority of people.

I'm lucky that I'm only 24 and still got my whole life ahead of me as well as having to face all my problems now as opposed to others who do so in their later years.

There's the bonus factor that I've always liked doing my own thing, never liked taking orders from someone who I knew didn't know any better themselves and there's a lot of laws that cops have to enforce that are quite frankly "meddling"

Forgiveness is an awesome thing. It will help u more than it will them
Try that and bury your childhood memories Robob

Thanks guys,

Hi .. I would be very careful what you say at work and court .. I think from what you have said the DD may well be the least of you worries. . I would just plead guilty and move on with your life as quickly as possible .. there is a link I posted here (which I will find you) re an ex police officer .. the DVLA and the Scottish courts. (she had issues from her past ) they would not issue a licence to her afterwards due to her openness about her life

Hi .. I would be very careful what you say at work and court .. I think from what you have said the DD may well be the least of you worries. . I would just plead guilty and move on with your life as quickly as possible .. there is a link I posted here (which I will find you) re an ex police officer .. the DVLA and the Scottish courts. (she had issues from her past ) they would not issue a licence to her afterwards due to her openness about her life

Appreciate the link Jamdpa but this is on the extreme end of the scale. In this case it's understandable why she couldn't get her license back.

I'm a long way off trying to drown myself in a swimming pool and being put on mental health medication.
You would be surprised if you report and mental health to your doctor or work your opening a can of worms for yourself .. the amount of people on here that have started with a drink driving ban that's evlolved to something far greater is a lot . And then your hands are fully tied

You would be surprised if you report and mental health to your doctor or work your opening a can of worms for yourself .. the amount of people on here that have started with a drink driving ban that's evlolved to something far greater is a lot . And then your hands are fully tied
I appreciate where you're coming from.

But this isn't depression or mental health. And it's not a can of worms I'm trying to open.

It's a personal thing I've had my whole life that I'm confronting. I've been asked about depression and if I feel like self harm throughout the entire process by my GP, counselor and work with the answer to all 3 being "no".

They have all made it clear that they understand that it's a personal issue. Not a mental health one.

If I was claiming the event made me feel depressed and suicidal then I'd agree with you but this is simply not the case at all and certainly not where I'm coming from

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off