Convicted as drink driver. Is my name will appear in my local newspaper?

Convicted Driver Insurance

joe pasha

Well Known Member
Good evening,

I just been charged as a drink driver and got charge plus 17 months ban.
Judge did not say anything about take all driving test again!
Just disqualified!

I was looking on internet and come across this

SCALES OF JUSTICE The latest results from …Magistrates' Court
I saw many people with different offence !
I am now worry if my name will appear on local newspaper too?

You wouldn't have to take your test again with a reading of 87.

Sometimes your name will appear in a paper, sometimes not.

Maybe see if you are in https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/forums/drink-driving-latest-news.172/
Thanks for reply,
The reason I asked if I have to take my test again is because I’m a new driver who just passed in last January and my licence is not even 1 year old!
Secondly I was definitely 87 and didn’t hurt anyone. So I hope my name doesn’t appear in newspapers

Your name will probably be in the local newspaper. Mine was. My family saw it because they were looking for it. As far as I am aware, nobody else did. You won’t need to take your test again. The Newspaper bit is nothing to do with the sentance. It’s just whether your local rag had a reporter there. If any of my friends or colleagues saw it, they have never mentioned it to me. It’s not information published officially by the court - the newspaper got both my sentence and address wrong. It’s whatever the guy in the public gallery recorded whilst he was half asleep watching all of the trials during the day.

Last edited:
So I have never been in court before and let me tell you who was in court room that day.
3 judge and front of them 2 lady who were judges assistant or I don’t know what you call them.
Duty solicitor was front of me with another 2 people next to him( they could be a reporter)? usher was other side
I was inside a room where I could see them with glasses front of me.
and magistrates ask my name and etc
T

Don’t sweat it mate. It’s the least of your problems. Have a look through the online versions of your local paper over the last couple of weeks. Do they have a section called “in the courts” or something similar ? Does that section list everybody who appeared in court and what they did, including drink drivers? They aren’t going to create a section just for you... but if they do it every week, then you will be in it.

In fact I was looking this morning and thank god my name still is not there!
I will keep checking and hopefully it won’t be there!
Thanks mate

The papers tend to just print the court lists which tend to be about two weeks behind. Any reporters there tend to be to pick up any juicy trials.

The main concern for most people isn't people seeing your name in the paper, but future employers googling your name and finding the conviction. But that depends what sort of jobs you apply for.

Hopefully not for future reference the three people at the top are magistrates. In front of them normally with a computer is the clerk. The clerk is the legally qualified one who gives advice to the magistrates on legal issues, because the magistrates are not legally qualified.

More rarely you will have a single judge sitting, who is legally qualified.

Anyone other than the solicitors, defendanrs, prosecutor and witnesses will be court clerical staff.

A quick question to TipsyNurse, are all court records public accessible. ie if i have a conviction can that be searched via Google and find out. Please advise. Thanks.

A quick question to TipsyNurse, are all court records public accessible. ie if i have a conviction can that be searched via Google and find out. Please advise. Thanks.
They are not published directly by the court but there are various providers that supply them for a subscription fee, which is what local papers use.

If you apply to the magistrates court that sentenced you they will provide the details of your case for free.

Really sorry to hear the news that you got banned for 17 months and I don't think your name will appear on the newspaper as you have only charged for drink driver say Thanks to God that you don't have any other charges.

They are not published directly by the court but there are various providers that supply them for a subscription fee, which is what local papers use.

If you apply to the magistrates court that sentenced you they will provide the details of your case for free.

Thanks TipsyNurse. i am worried about some one Googling my name and my conviction appears on the internet search. Hope this won't happen.

Really sorry to hear the news that you got banned for 17 months and I don't think your name will appear on the newspaper as you have only charged for drink driver say Thanks to God that you don't have any other charges.

I’m paying this for my stupid mistake and with this now I have criminal records, I’m still young under 30 never had conviction or in trouble with law!
With this now I learned a lot and I promised to myself not doing again!
The magistrate were fair on me, I could have
More fine and driving ban plus they could ask me to take my rest again which I worked very hard to pass my practical tests.
I have spent so much money and you see how stupidly ruined everything

I’m paying this for my stupid mistake and with this now I have criminal records, I’m still young under 30 never had conviction or in trouble with law!
With this now I learned a lot and I promised to myself not doing again!
The magistrate were fair on me, I could have
More fine and driving ban plus they could ask me to take my rest again which I worked very hard to pass my practical tests.
I have spent so much money and you see how stupidly ruined everything

Its okay bro I do understand that what you are going through, due to this mistake you had to pay more but this is how we learn lessons, but yes now next time you have to be very careful about that.

I was incredibly lucky that mine didn't appear in the local newspaper. My reading was 121, which is 5.5 times the limit in Scotland. They did mention that a 'reckless' driver had been caught when it initially happened, but nothing appeared in the newspaper when I was convicted and sentenced. But in today's local rag, their is a 1/4 page article about someone who was 'nearly' 6 times the limit with name address etc. So unless you are friends with the editor, it's purely hit and miss. I received a 20 month ban that was supposed to end in December 2018 (well it did end then.) Despite applying for my licence as soon as I could, it took my GP 8 weeks to write a report to the DVLA, then it will have taken me another 6 weeks from the date the issued their letter for a DVLA Dr's appointment until I get the DVLA test an then at least another week until they make a decision. This means that my effective ban will have been for 23 months. I had a Medichecks CDT test carried out earlier this week and the results show that my CDT level is only 0.7%. So unless they are wildly inaccurate, it looks like my DVLA exam next week should go according to plan.

My name, address and car were in the paper and online.
Initially I freaked out, but I am over it. Kind of. It was almost a month after I was convicted that it was published.

Mine hit the local paper two weeks after the court date, half a page so pretty much anyone who knew me knew about it.. was mortifying at the time but like Drew said, you initially freak out but you just find a way to get over it. TBH I was more concerned about my Mum who had to face family/friends and listen to them saying "read about it in the papers.. how is she / how are you.." was pretty awful, as if i didnt feel bad and ashamed enough!
I just kept thinking "well im not the first to be done for DD and certainly wont be the last."
Its a lesson learned.. the harsh way!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off