Confusion over spent conviction applying to car insurance

Convicted Driver Insurance

Sheli

My daughter past her driving test on 20/07/17 aged 17. A week later she visited a friend in her new car but had a drink so decided to stay the night but through youthful inexperience or naivety and not considering it drink driving she decided her car was not parked suitably for overnight so went to move it and managed to hit a parked car. Long story short she was convicted of driving over the limit on 15/08/17 conviction code DR10 and given a 17 month ban and a 4 month referral order as a youth offender. Her final panel meeting was on 19/12/17 and the order was successfully completed on 11/08/18 and the conviction was termed as 'spent' under the terms of the Rehabillitation of Offenders Act 1974.
She is now aged 19 and has her licence back and has just purchased a car and I was researching insurance and on the drink-driving.org site it states that a DR10 is usually 'spent' after 5 years from conviction again under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. It also said that you do not have to declare a 'spent' conviction to insurers.
My confusion is whether my daughter needs to declare her DR10 conviction or not to the insurers as it has not been 5 years since conviction but her youth offender panel declared her conviction 'spent' on 11/01/18. Please advise.

Unfortunately, it is correct that, for the purposes of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, this type of conviction will only be considered as spent 5 years after date of conviction (so in this case August 2022). Most insurers ask you to declare convictions within the last 5 years for this reason. After that period, you do not need to declare to insurers.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off