Completely stitched up...

Reets

Got back on the road last September.
Got insurance fully comp (sole owner), covered for any eventuality (so I thought) at roughly £1700 over 10 months (£154). Someone went into the back of me January 2022. They claimed responsibility.

Called insurers. Firstly I was spoken to like a criminal even though I served my crime; second it turned out I didn't have Personal Injury Cover. I had to go down another avenue in order to make a claim which is still unresolved with solicitor. I didn’t get a company car whilst my car was fixed. It was an awful experience considering I was the victim in this incident.

Decided to go with a new insurer this year. Thought it was all sorted until it kicked in weekend just gone and on the phone for nearly 4 hours (at my cost) yesterday trying to sort out.

The 'new' insurer accused me of withholding information (the accident in Jan), that it happened in April 2021 when I wasn't on the road, it was my fault and I had neglected to add it to my insurance renewal - I had. They told me to call previous insurer and ask them to update the information of the accident from April 2021 to January 2022. They said the policy would go up.

Called previous insurer they said that everything was as it should be. Decided to cancel 'new' insurer and go with previous insurer at a cost of £179.00 a month. Promised - once the solicitor had sorted the claim I would receive no claims bonus and reduced monthly payments retrospectively whenever my claim is settled. I have no idea when that will be as my solicitor is very slow to respond (4-6 weeks to date per message).

Called 'new' insurer to cancel new policy and from the first payment of £179 in August (10 x £74) I would receive just £100 back. This was a cancellation policy charge (expected) and £29 for 2 days insurance.

I feel like I have been completely scammed and trapped into taking insurance at a ridiculous price. Could anyone advise not only on the treatment but if this is normal? Or how I can retrieve some of the costs please? Is this normal business?

In a cost of living crisis I was so happy I had got it down to £74 a month I really think I might have to sell my car now.. Can't believe these companies work like this.

Last edited:

Coostietightner123

Got insurance fully comp (sole owner), covered for any eventuality (so I thought) at roughly £1700 over 10 months (£154). Someone went into the back of me January 2022. They claimed responsibility.

Called insurers. Firstly I was spoken to like a criminal even though I served my crime; second it turned out I didn't have Personal Injury Cover. I had to go down another avenue in order to make a claim which is still unresolved with solicitor.

Decided to go with a new insurer this year. Thought it was all sorted until it kicked in weekend just gone and on the phone for nearly 4 hours yesterday trying to sort out.

The 'new' insurer accused me of withholding information (the accident in Jan), that it happened in April 2021 when I wasn't on the road, it was my fault and I had neglected to add it to my insurance renewal - I had. They told me to call previous insurer and ask them to update the information of the accident from April 2021 to January 2022. They said the policy would go up.

Called previous insurer they said that everything was as it should be. Decided to cancel 'new' insurer and go with previous insurer at a cost of £179.00 a month. Promised - once the solicitor had sorted the claim I would receive no claims bonus and reduced monthly payments retrospectively.

Called 'new' insurer to cancel new policy and from the first payment of £179 in August (10 x £74) I would receive just £100 back. This was a cancellation policy charge (expected) and £29 for 2 days insurance.

I feel like I have been completely scammed and trapped into taking insurance at a ridiculous price. Could anyone advise not only on the treatment but if this is normal? Or how I can retrieve some of the costs please? Is this normal business?

In a cost of living crisis I was so happy I had got it down to £74 a month I really think I might have to sell my car now.. Can't believe these companies work like this.
We are a cash cow....everyone bends us over

chrism2800

Called insurers. Firstly I was spoken to like a criminal even though I served my crime; second it turned out I didn't have Personal Injury Cover. I had to go down another avenue in order to make a claim which is still unresolved with solicitor. I didn’t get a company car whilst my car was fixed. It was an awful experience considering I was the victim in this incident.

Decided to go with a new insurer this year. Thought it was all sorted until it kicked in weekend just gone and on the phone for nearly 4 hours (at my cost) yesterday trying to sort out.

Called previous insurer they said that everything was as it should be. Decided to cancel 'new' insurer and go with previous insurer at a cost of £179.00 a month. Promised - once the solicitor had sorted the claim I would receive no claims bonus and reduced monthly payments retrospectively whenever my claim is settled. I have no idea when that will be as my solicitor is very slow to respond (4-6 weeks to date per message).

I'm in the accident repair industry,and if someone goes into the rear of you it's generally their fault,the 3rd party should have offered a car and to allow you either their repair network to fix it,or your own,at this point you could have been given the opportunity to use a none fault accident management company that look after the claim for you,put you in a hire car,and claim for you,at no cost.
Speak again with the solicitors to resolve your out of pocket expenses and injury?
The claim will still show,but 3rd party at fault.
Also keep a copy of all dates relative to present to a new insurer

Reets

The claim was handled by my insurer. The damage was sorted locally through the insurer.

I had to find Personal Injury cover through another insurance route, totally different to the one insurer recommended as insurers solicitor will take a cut which is why you should have the cover, which I thought I was paying for.

Is anyone able to advise please on recovering costs as I’ve just been refunded £93 from £179 for x2 days insurance and cancellation fee (normally £50) thanks

Reets

Oh and I don’t want to name and shame the company but it is likely if they don’t return my money.

Funny they didn’t contact me middle of August when I set everything up and prior to the policy ensuring it had started then calling me to “validate a few things” leaving me no choice but to cancel the policy - accusing me of lying (!) and then pocketing my hard earned money - £86 that I could have spent on school trips or bills I can’t afford.

I believe that’s called ‘theft’

Polly3

Oh and I don’t want to name and shame the company but it is likely if they don’t return my money.

Funny they didn’t contact me middle of August when I set everything up and prior to the policy ensuring it had started then calling me to “validate a few things” leaving me no choice but to cancel the policy - accusing me of lying (!) and then pocketing my hard earned money - £86 that I could have spent on school trips or bills I can’t afford.

I believe that’s called ‘theft’
These gave me a massively expensive quote when I applied for insurance on getting my licence back .

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off