Community Payback....

Convicted Driver Insurance
So, I've had truly awful (and documented) experiences with the community payback part of my community order where the probation service have messed up time and time again to the point where my PO thinks I'm cursed!

I've now been waiting MONTHS for an alternative where I can complete my unpaid hours from home (I've been signed off with Fit Notes and UPW supervisors stating I should not be doing the 'intensive labour' demands as its a serious detriment to my health (all confirmed/documented), then when about to set up the home working aspect, no shows from the Unpaid Work team (face to face appointments and MS Teams) so delaying everything AGAIN.

I'm at the point now that home work may be difficult if it's online as I can't afford broadband bills etc too.

I still have about 100 hours left and my community order ends in September.

I seriously doubt this will be achieved and I've genuinely not stopped trying.

What could happen if my hours are not completed? And if not, with the fact I have a genuine case here where the probation service constantly messing up, do I have a realistic chance of contesting any extension of my community order?

I have genuinely done all I can to get my hours completed and nothing has 'moved' for over 4 months now.

There are alternatives which do not involve “intensive labour”. A lot of people work in charity shops, for example. Have you discussed any alternatives like this with the probation service?

Whilst I don’t doubt you have difficulty with your broadband bills, and don’t know your individual circumstances, this excuse may be viewed with some scepticism if you are able to have Teams calls.

You have at least 3 full months to clock the 100 hours which works out around 8 hours each week which seems doable. Email the probation service and highlight your concerns as well as their shortcomings and their lack of attendance at agreed meetings and times. Worst case scenario you don’t complete the required hours your case will go back to court and you can explain what has happened and the court will consider either giving you more time or perhaps consider an alternative disposal.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I completed some hours in a charity shop, but they were over subscribed and it was pulled for a few of us as there wasn't any work to do.

The main issue is the local probation service literally has two options as they're not very good at building relationships with potential UPW partners.

I've offered to find my own placements and simply told they don't allow it, it's either 'hard labour' (and it genuinely is) on one day, or another version of this another day.

You turn up to work and they don't even have enough boots, some may be in pairs if you're lucky and either size 6 or size 14. Lots of gloves with holes in, it's an absolute shit show.

Hopefully the online project they seem to have for me will get up and running as I just want to get the hours out of the way.

Yes hopefully this online work is suitable for you. You may even find it’s a blessing in disguise as I have heard of online work having a 1 hour time allocation, for example, but you can complete within 20 minutes but still clock the hour. Either way I am sure knocking out 100 hours by September will be more than doable when you get it set up. Best of luck with it

So, I've had truly awful (and documented) experiences with the community payback part of my community order where the probation service have messed up time and time again to the point where my PO thinks I'm cursed!

I've now been waiting MONTHS for an alternative where I can complete my unpaid hours from home (I've been signed off with Fit Notes and UPW supervisors stating I should not be doing the 'intensive labour' demands as its a serious detriment to my health (all confirmed/documented), then when about to set up the home working aspect, no shows from the Unpaid Work team (face to face appointments and MS Teams) so delaying everything AGAIN.

I'm at the point now that home work may be difficult if it's online as I can't afford broadband bills etc too.

I still have about 100 hours left and my community order ends in September.

I seriously doubt this will be achieved and I've genuinely not stopped trying.

What could happen if my hours are not completed? And if not, with the fact I have a genuine case here where the probation service constantly messing up, do I have a realistic chance of contesting any extension of my community order?

I have genuinely done all I can to get my hours completed and nothing has 'moved' for over 4 months now.
If you can't afford to pay for broadband then I don't see how you will be able to complete any work that is home based. If you truly have no internet access, then try your local library. They often have computers available that you can use free of charge.

If you can't afford to pay for broadband then I don't see how you will be able to complete any work that is home based. If you truly have no internet access, then try your local library. They often have computers available that you can use free of charge.

Yes, I use my local library everyday day, it's only around the corner from my house.

I did my community service under the umbrella of a private sector company called Interserve. I won’t start sounding off on this forum about how bad they were, but needless to say as an organisation they were a complete an utter disgrace. I truly hope the community payback contract has been removed from them by now and most of their staff are punching their P45’s.

On a positive note, the actually placement I was allocated was sound as a pound. It was in a local community centre. The centre manager was a really down to earth lady, who I learned sadly passed away last year. Thankfully, I had limited contact with the Interserve people which was a small mercy considering how bad they were.

CJ

I moved house halfway through my community service; after I had been transferred over to Wales probation, I think I had something like 30 hours left to do, after spending a good 2 months doing gardening in a church graveyard. I’m very active and otherwise fit and healthy, but it was back-breaking work. I kept myself to myself, as did a lot of the people, but you had people convicted of drugs and violence related offences trying to stir things up, which was horrendous.

Unbeknownst to me, my case had actually gone to court to argue that I should just be able to count hours spent talking to my PO towards my overall goal of 100 hours, so I got a letter through the post to say I had 10 hours left.

In the end, I managed to get my hours whittled down and completed by attending the probation office once a week (20 mins there and back on the train) and completing online courses sent to me - usually had 3 or 4 to do which counted towards a couple of hours.

I got on really well with my PO in Wales (we were the same age pretty much), almost to the point where I actually enjoyed going for a chat with him once a week, and one hour meetings were usually done and dusted in about 30 mins which meant I only had to take an hour out of my day.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off