Coming to the end of first year of one year licence. Help!!!

Convicted Driver Insurance

Oneyearnobeer

Well Known Member
Good morning,
I’m just about to come to the end of my first year of a one year licence - ends 27/10/21.
I returned all the relevant forms to DVLA in the summer after they’d sent them to me. I haven’t heard a thing back and I’m now worried. Will I be covered by this section 88 thing? Tried phoning but that’s impossible so any help from the people in the know would be much appreciated. Thank you 🙏🏼

Good morning,
I’m just about to come to the end of my first year of a one year licence - ends 27/10/21.
I returned all the relevant forms to DVLA in the summer after they’d sent them to me. I haven’t heard a thing back and I’m now worried. Will I be covered by this section 88 thing? Tried phoning but that’s impossible so any help from the people in the know would be much appreciated. Thank you 🙏🏼
I know it seems impossible and futile trying to call and get through to them but I would suggest you really have to do this.
To be eligible for Section 88 one of the criteria is that they need to have your correct and complete paperwork.
You do not know if this is actually the case unfortunately and I would not assume anything, you simply can't afford to legally in terms of S88.
I applied in March and in May I received a letter confirming they had mine and I could be entitled to drive under S88. I had not received this type of letter from them previously and believed this to be a direct result of Covid /strike delays. Additionally, when I called to arrange car insurance the call handler told me her colleague had also received this letter.
Furthermore, the company would only insure me under S88 as I had this exact letter from DVLA, addressed to me and saying I could be entitled to drive under S88 as my licence had expired and was not in possession of a licence.
They were happy to insure under S88 but not with an expired licence - without this letter I would not have got insurance.
If your licence expires on 27/10 then I would imagine you would be in the same situation.
I'm pretty sure I've also read on this forum from people saying they have also received this letter.
Don't assume anything, you need to continually call.
As I said, it's one of the criteria for S88, if you don't fulfill it then how can you have it??

Thank you Nile R. That is very helpful. I will keep calling. I’ve been ringing 0300 number, is that the best or only one?

Thank you Nile R. That is very helpful. I will keep calling. I’ve been ringing 0300 number, is that the best or only one?
Hi, no bother. It's essential that you call.
The number is 0300 790 6808.
After you receive confirmation they have the complete and correct paperwork you need to contact your GP to confirm you are fit to drive and request that is noted on your medical file.
Check the S88 requirements too in order to ensure you fulfil ALL of them.
During the call to DVLA I would ask DVLA to send you a letter to confirm that they have received your complete and correct paperwork. Then you can provide this to your insurance.
I would write the date you were confirmed fit to drive by your GP at the top and keep this in my glove compartment in the event you are stopped by police.
I also wrote a note of my insurance provider and the date/ time of the call in addition to the name of the call handler just in case.
All the best🙏
Remember, after 27th October your licence has expired.

Last edited:
I got through to DVLA finally today, after around 300 attempts and engaged tone. So I’m good to drive on section 88, they’re sending me a letter to state this and all I have to do is check with GP that I’m ok to drive. They didn’t ask me any questions, just said they’re not giving any timescales for medical cases.
Thanks again NileR, wanted to post this outcome in case it helps anyone else.

I got through to DVLA finally today, after around 300 attempts and engaged tone. So I’m good to drive on section 88, they’re sending me a letter to state this and all I have to do is check with GP that I’m ok to drive. They didn’t ask me any questions, just said they’re not giving any timescales for medical cases.
Thanks again NileR, wanted to post this outcome in case it helps anyone else.
Hi, that's great, pleased for you.
Well done for persevering - I think I was over 150 calls to get through.
I meant to ask you to let everyone know.
Thanks.

Hi, that's great, pleased for you.
Well done for persevering - I think I was over 150 calls to get through.
I meant to ask you to let everyone know.
Thanks.
Oneyearnobeer
Remember to request that your GP notes on your file that you are fit to drive.
Explain to him that it is necessary regarding S88.
I remember that when I was trying to get my insurance that me telling them that my GP was also a significant part in them agreeing to cover me.

Oneyearnobeer
Remember to request that your GP notes on your file that you are fit to drive.
Explain to him that it is necessary regarding S88.
I remember that when I was trying to get my insurance that me telling them that my GP was also a significant part in them agreeing to cover me.

Good afternoon

My 12 month licence expires on the 21st January 2022, so once next weekend is out of the way, I'm going to send off for my next licence via way of a D1 from the Post Office.

I believe anyone who has been a HRO and requires a second medical can apply within 90 days, hence why I am sending my D1 off next week.

On the subject of confirming the DVLA have recieved the paperwork - I would simply send any correspondence via Royal Mail recorded delivery. The RM will give you a tracking number that can then be checked on-line to confirm it has reached it's destination.

Many people on this forum are spending prolonged periods of time trying to get through to these idiots at Swansea, just to confirm paperwork has been received. Surely, a RM recorded delivery slip kept somewhere safe will be proof the paperwork has reached the DVLA offices and they have 'received' them.

Regarding my GP - I am going to make an appointment to have a health check with him in early January to verify my suitability to drive under Section 88.

Next step after that is the waiting game.

CJ

Good afternoon

My 12 month licence expires on the 21st January 2022, so once next weekend is out of the way, I'm going to send off for my next licence via way of a D1 from the Post Office.

I believe anyone who has been a HRO and requires a second medical can apply within 90 days, hence why I am sending my D1 off next week.

On the subject of confirming the DVLA have recieved the paperwork - I would simply send any correspondence via Royal Mail recorded delivery. The RM will give you a tracking number that can then be checked on-line to confirm it has reached it's destination.

Many people on this forum are spending prolonged periods of time trying to get through to these idiots at Swansea, just to confirm paperwork has been received. Surely, a RM recorded delivery slip kept somewhere safe will be proof the paperwork has reached the DVLA offices and they have 'received' them.

Regarding my GP - I am going to make an appointment to have a health check with him in early January to verify my suitability to drive under Section 88.

CJ
The fact that some paperwork has been signed for as received at DVLA is sadly no guarantee that it will find its way to the relevant department . I had assumed as much , but this was stated to me to be the case by a DVLA call handler when I was progress chasing .

Good afternoon

Good afternoon

CJ

Hi. Unfortunately, receipt of the paperwork on arrival is not proof that it is been filled in complete or correctly. Neither is it proof that it has been received at the relevant department - it solely means it has been delivered to DVLA.

The fact that some paperwork has been signed for as received at DVLA is sadly no guarantee that it will find its way to the relevant department . I had assumed as much , but this was stated to me to be the case by a DVLA call handler when I was progress chasing .

At least it's a small piece of mind of that our correspondence has reached Swansea and it is in the same building somewhere.

Given the ineptitude of the DVLA, I would never send anything unrecorded to them.

You would like to think that 90 days would be long enough to at least acknowledge we can drive under Section 88.

CJ

At least it's a small piece of mind of that our correspondence has reached Swansea and it is in the same building somewhere.

Given the ineptitude of the DVLA, I would never send anything unrecorded to them.

You would like to think that 90 days would be long enough to at least acknowledge we can drive under Section 88.

CJ
No. I sent everything recorded . I understand those who wish to ring and check in addition to this however . Re the S88, not that I know much about it as it did not apply to me , I feel that I’ve read that the paperwork has to be confirmed as correctly completed etc , as receipt of documents alone is insufficient. Hopefully the 90 days will be enough as you say . Good luck everyone .

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off