classed as dependant and HRO

Convicted Driver Insurance

leebo43

has anybody on here been classed and as an HRO had a medical recently? i keep reading you need to get below 1% to pass but it doesnt say anywhere that its a certain that you have to get that score? its so confusing. also heard you need to prove a years abstinance but i phoned the DVLA last week and they assured me that you dont and its all down to the CDT score

I'm hro,and was refused my licence back last year,because I admitted to drinking more than 6 units a week ffs 🤷‍♂️.....but at the time I'd had a cdt done with medi checks,and I stopped drinking for a couple of weeks,Andy score was 0.4....I only drank on a weekend anyway but I think your cdt soon comes down,and is genuinely quite low anyway,unless your a daily drinker,from what I'm lead to believe.

I'm hro,and was refused my licence back last year,because I admitted to drinking more than 6 units a week ffs 🤷‍♂️.....but at the time I'd had a cdt done with medi checks,and I stopped drinking for a couple of weeks,Andy score was 0.4....I only drank on a weekend anyway but I think your cdt soon comes down,and is genuinely quite low anyway,unless your a daily drinker,from what I'm lead to believe.
i only do weekends but hard!! mine got refused last year for the same reason virtually. its the dependant thing im worried about again . my doc put i was dependant because i went for a bit of help a few years back and i admitted bing drinking at weekends. ive got a few things going against me and im not confident at all about it. 3.5 years in and still cant see an end to it

Well just have a month off it,before ya medical.after all u are supposed to abstain for 5 years,so a month is easy to do...I hit it hard at a weekend,but to get it back,I've bitten the bullet.got my medical on Sept 9th....have a milk thistle tablet 3 times a day,5 to 10 cups of coffee,plenty of fruit and veg,get some exercise,all in the run up to the medical,and it should help ya liver and ya system..but main thing have a few clear weeks,and ya should be OK 👍

That's grim you got refused. Have you now had to do the whole proving you're not drinking for 12 months?

That's grim you got refused. Have you now had to do the whole proving you're not drinking for 12 months?
Yep,did the 3 day course,medical,community service,ban,fine etc,but because I said I drank more than 6 units a week ffs,I have to abstain for 5 years,but can reapply after 1 year of abstaining from alcohol.ive registered with my doctor every 3 months that I'm not drinking,and had a LFT,liver function test.but I go for my medical in September,but that will be 3 years,of what should have been a 15 month ban.....its like living in China,or north Korea !!!!!!

Yep,did the 3 day course,medical,community service,ban,fine etc,but because I said I drank more than 6 units a week ffs,I have to abstain for 5 years,but can reapply after 1 year of abstaining from alcohol.ive registered with my doctor every 3 months that I'm not drinking,and had a LFT,liver function test.but I go for my medical in September,but that will be 3 years,of what should have been a 15 month ban.....its like living in China,or north Korea !!!!!!
Oh dear. I've never heard of them be as harsh as this. Did you have anything on your medical records when they contacted the GP?
My medical is in 5 days. I don't have anything with regards to drink on my medical but I drink on average 4 units every couple of weeks.. You've worried me to even say I drink as much as that lol. I'm sorry its been like this for you 😔

its the dependant thing thats doing me. read all different outcomes on here. theres no set pattern at all

has anybody on here been classed and as an HRO had a medical recently? i keep reading you need to get below 1% to pass but it doesnt say anywhere that its a certain that you have to get that score? its so confusing. also heard you need to prove a years abstinance but i phoned the DVLA last week and they assured me that you dont and its all down to the CDT score
It's been said on this forum that below 1% is the pass limit for anyone classed as dependant by DVLA and at least 2 or 3 liver function tests to back this up,as CDT usually can show a level of alcohol for 3 to 4 weeks, unless the intake was quite considerable,The DVLA usually write to your GP so register a stopped drinking alcohol date with them, otherwise DVLA have nothing to go on regarding 12 months abstinence,just your word,I only had 2 lfts as I only found this out after finding this forum, luckily this was enough to allow me a medical,both lft results were well within range,plus a CDT of 0.8.
DVLA had contacted my GP prior to the medical and had unbeknown to me classed me as dependant...I was given a 1 year license,I'm now due my second medical in just under 3 weeks,the second time you don't have to show lft results but I would strongly advise to do so,as my medical is 8 months after my 1 year license expired!

its the dependant thing thats doing me. read all different outcomes on here. theres no set pattern at all

The Chief Medical Officer (Prof Chris Whitty) has set the recommended weekly alcohol limit for males/females in the UK at a maximum of 14 units.

My understanding of this is that if anyone discloses drinking more than 14 units per week, they can potentially be labelled a 'misuser' at the very least.

In order to understand the DVLA principles - I would adopted a black & white mindset when declaring what you drink.

If you are asked to declare how much you drink to any medical professional in this Country, be very careful of what you say.

I have seen forum members on here in the past who have simply had their licence revoked because they were perhaps a little too honest for their own good.

One person I recall sought medical advice from their GP over low moods and stated they drank on average ten pints of lager a week.

The jobsworth GP then reported them to the DVLA and they were subsequently revoked from driving for X number of months.

Definately one to bare in mind for anyone reading this.

CJ

It's been said on this forum that below 1% is the pass limit for anyone classed as dependant by DVLA and at least 2 or 3 liver function tests to back this up,as CDT usually can show a level of alcohol for 3 to 4 weeks, unless the intake was quite considerable,The DVLA usually write to your GP so register a stopped drinking alcohol date with them, otherwise DVLA have nothing to go on regarding 12 months abstinence,just your word,I only had 2 lfts as I only found this out after finding this forum, luckily this was enough to allow me a medical,both lft results were well within range,plus a CDT of 0.8.
DVLA had contacted my GP prior to the medical and had unbeknown to me classed me as dependant...I was given a 1 year license,I'm now due my second medical in just under 3 weeks,the second time you don't have to show lft results but I would strongly advise to do so,as my medical is 8 months after my 1 year license expired!
Why did they class you as dependant I don't understand! By the sounds of things you did everything correctly?

The Chief Medical Officer (Prof Chris Whitty) has set the recommended weekly alcohol limit for males/females in the UK at a maximum of 14 units.

My understanding of this is that if anyone discloses drinking more than 14 units per week, they can potentially be labelled a 'misuser' at the very least.

In order to understand the DVLA principles - I would adopted a black & white mindset when declaring what you drink.

If you are asked to declare how much you drink to any medical professional in this Country, be very careful of what you say.

I have seen forum members on here in the past who have simply had their licence revoked because they were perhaps a little too honest for their own good.

One person I recall sought medical advice from their GP over low moods and stated they drank on average ten pints of lager a week.

The jobsworth GP then reported them to the DVLA and they were subsequently revoked from driving for X number of months.

CJ
Yep,I know a wagon driver who told his doctor he had 2 pints every teatime,he reported him to dvla,and lost his licence and job.....so if ya do drink,
Why did they class you as dependant I don't understand! By the sounds of things you did everything correctly?
I admitted to my doctor that I drank more than 6 units a week,making me dependent 🤷‍♂️

DVLA attached that label after receiving my information from my GP..

Always find out any medical history that your doctor's have regarding alcohol or possibly medication as it could affect any license application.

If classed as dependent then no alcohol,not one!

One year proven abstinence for dependence ongoing for as long as DVLA keep you on a temporary license, even then they could revoke it

You need to be alcohol free (for a year) if you’re deemed as a dependent by your GP and so therefore should have no issue in producing a CDT of below 1% If you’ve followed the rules.

Issues can arise when people don’t release their GP has classified them as dependent.

If you have ever been unfortunate to fall into either the 'misuser' or 'dependant' category (like myself) you must never disclose drinking anything to any medical professional.

Evening disclosing having a tipple of sherry with your turkey dinner on Christmas Day or having a bottle of Sol on your holiday in Spain will potentially cause you issues with the DVLA.

CJ

I have read (possibly on this forum) that someone had nearly 2 years abstinence and produced a CDT reading of 1.1%,so it's vital that you have a date a stopped drinking date with your GP plus supporting evidence via liver function test results to confirm this..

I have read (possibly on this forum) that someone had nearly 2 years abstinence and produced a CDT reading of 1.1%,so it's vital that you have a date a stopped drinking date with your GP plus supporting evidence via liver function test results to confirm this..

I had 15 months of abstinence prior to my CDT in November 2020 and mine was 0.9%.

I don't think 1.1% would be an automatic fail, as many of us have underlining factors with our bodies that prevent us having a rock bottom score.

I recall one member on here getting 0.2% which is extremely rare. A life long tee-totaller wouldn't necessarily get a CDT that low.

CJ

CJ

Completely agree. NEVER admit to drinking more than 14 units a week to any medical professional. If you have a drinking problem, do not drive unless completely sober, and maybe seek anonymous help if you feel you need it.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off