Charged with drink driving

Convicted Driver Insurance

AndreX

Hi

I was charged with drink driving. My breathaliser reading was 96. I was not speeding or driving dangerously but the officer who stopped me said he stopped me as he saw me swerve - clearly a very minor swerve if there was one which I dispute. I did not have an accident or cause any damage to anything. My girlfriend was in the car with me. The time was 02:00 in the morning so very limited traffic etc. My total expected distance to drive was 1.8 miles - I was stopped after c. 0.6 miles or less. I was drinking punch which had been prepared by the host and knew it contained alcohol but not how strong it was - I did not realise I was as far over the limit as I was. I have no prior convictions and no points off my license. I have had my license for more than 2 years although my UK license for between 1 and 2 years - I swopped my South African license for a UK license. I have held a steady and respectable job since I arrived in the UK. I intend to plead guilty.

What penalties are likely to be imposed? I understand that community service will be considered - does this mean that it will generally be imposed? What are the chances of mitigation?

Thank you.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
At that reading the guidelines suggest a ban of bewtween 23 and 28 months along with a community penalty. However, everycase is dealt with on it's own merit and the court will consider any aggravating factors as well as all your mitigation. I would recommend you instruct a lawyer before going to court so that they can have time to prepare your case with you in advance. If you would like a more in depth discussion about your case with one of our experts or would like to arrange representation for a fixed fee, then call us on 0845 0020736

The sentencing guidelines are available here:
http://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_sentencing_guidelines.php

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off