Charged with Drink Driving the Morning After

Convicted Driver Insurance

lockstop

Got stopped by the police this morning for doing 90MPH on the motorway.
He smelt last night's beer on me and breathalised me. It read 65.

I was taken back to the police station, where i provided 2 more tests which also read 65.

Ive been looking around on the internet for about 4 hours now about sentancing and fines, and i think im looking at £500-£1000 fine and about 16 month ban.

From what i can tell, i think they are charging me with DR10.
Would appealing for DR40/DR50/DR90 be worth doing? take the 10 points on the chin but without a ban.

Ive been Driving nearly 3 years, nearly 3 years no claims and no previous convictions

Last edited by a moderator:
Got stopped by the police this morning for doing 90MPH on the motorway.
He smelt last night's beer on me and breathalised me. It read 65.

I was taken back to the police station, where i provided 2 more tests which also read 65.

Ive been looking around on the internet for about 4 hours now about sentancing and fines, and i think im looking at £500-£1000 fine and about 16 month ban.

From what i can tell, i think they are charging me with DR10.
Would appealing for DR40/DR50/DR90 be worth doing? take the 10 points on the chin but without a ban.

Ive been Driving nearly 3 years, nearly 3 years no claims and no previous convictions

You cannot appeal for a different charge to be brought against you. You were stopped by the police whilst driving your car on the motorway (all the evidence needed to prove you were driving) and subsequently tested for alcohol, the results of said test prove you were over the maximum legal prescribed limit of 35 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. You will have been charged under section 5(1)(a) of The Road Traffic Act 1988 for driving a motor vehicle on a road whilst over the legal limit.

Upon a first conviction of driving with excess alcohol with a breath reading of 65 sentencing guidelines suggest a band c fine and a driving disqualification of 17-22 months.

As a first time offender you are likley to be offered the chance to attend a drink driving rehabilitation course, which, once completed will reduce any period of disqualification imposed by up to 25%.

Our guide to appearing at magistrates court for drink driving offences may prove useful to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, well ill just have to take my punishment.
Crazy how one stupid decision can affect the rest of your life.
Ill just have to wait till my court hearing and see how it pans out.

This site has been a great help understanding the processes.

Thanks for all the help provided here

You blew 65 the morning after? That seems very high.

Accept that driving at 90mph while pissed is a bad move and take the punishment. It won't affect the rest of your life, it's not the end of the world. You'll be inconvenienced for a while but a lot of people here seem to have come out of it a little wiser, maybe that'll happen to you too.

You blew 65 the morning after? That seems very high.

Accept that driving at 90mph while pissed is a bad move and take the punishment. It won't affect the rest of your life, it's not the end of the world. You'll be inconvenienced for a while but a lot of people here seem to have come out of it a little wiser, maybe that'll happen to you too.

Gotta agree with that. As much as I hate to admit it, this whole process has taught me stuff, I am much more aware of units and what I'm drinking etc.

just for an update.
Had my court case the week before last.

I recieved an 18 Month ban and £170(£270 including fees) and offered the drink driver awareness course(redecucing sentance by 18 weeks).

think i came off pretty lightly to be honest, and like what was said previously, i think i will come out alot wiser, and this gives me a chance to save the £500+/month i was spending on driving

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off