Charged incorrectly

Convicted Driver Insurance

Sillyman91

Hi, i was arrested on 30th October, blew 94 roadside then 92 and 93 at the station. I'm also accused of hitting another car.

I am being taken to magistrates court. I have been charged due to an eye witness statement saying they saw me leave my car just after colliding with the other. This contradicts another persons statement who says they saw me drive round in a different car to survey the damage before they alerted the owner of the car I allegedly collided with.

The police have charged me stating "on 31st October I drove a motor vehicle, namely WVxx xxg". The date is incorrect, I was arrested on 30th October. The reg provided is also the one I allegedly collided with not of the car I was allegedly driving.

Will these errors allow me to win the case. I am certainly not guilty of driving that car on that date. Thanks for your help

Case law says that if the date is wrong, or the reg no is wrong then an application to amend the charge is made and granted, even during the case.
If you plead not guilty, the witness will, presumably, say that they saw you driving a motor vehicle on a road, and the police will show that you were over the limit. If your defence is “well I was driving a car, but not that car, and I was over the limit, but the day before” then you will be found guilty and have incurred prosecution costs of £620 rather than £85 (that is the difference between a guilty and a not guilty plea) and you will have lost 1/3rd discount off your fine for an early guilty plea.

Things like this always amuse me.......35 years ago, i was summoned to court, for a trumped up speeding charge by marked traffic cops,when i undertook them at a junction because i changed my mind which way i was going to go....overtaken by several cars.... but i was done for speeding....cue summons and court case....pled not guilty...what followed was a diatribe of lies by the police.....to cut a long story short,judge asked my lawyer why i wasnt pleading guilty......simple said my lawyer.....he doesnt own the motorbike stated in the charges.....police checked details....case dismissed.....changed days

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off