Charged and waiting...

Convicted Driver Insurance

Bunglebear

I was caught and charged for drink driving after driving on the 27th June 2020 and given a court date of the 14th October when being released at the station. I then received another summons letter saying the court date was the 21st October so I assumed that was my new date. I received a phone call from the police on the 20th of October asking when my court dat was and after I explained its the 21st he said "yes I can see on the system its the 21st, the court had issued a warrant for your arrest for not turning up on the 14th and we were going to come and arrest you today but can see the system says 21st so just make sure you're there tomorrow." I turned up to my court date dressed smart and nice and early, and once I gave my name they had no recored of me being in court for that day after taking my name and DOB back and forth to different people but they could see I was down for the 14th October.... I then left and haven't heard a word about it since, its now the 18th November! I was charged almost 6 months ago now.. has this every happened to anyone else?? It seems a very odd situation, is there a limit on how long you can be charged for without conviction?

Who was the ‘summons letter’ from, I.e. CPS, court or the police?

So the police amended it, but somehow the court were not informed (or didn’t amend the date)
I think the aolicitor
On here is right, you should chase this up with the police.
You could try ignoring it, in case it goes away but Sod’s law will say that on Christmas Eve, you will be stopped and checked by the police and the system will show a warrant is out for you, and you will be locked up!

So the police amended it, but somehow the court were not informed (or didn’t amend the date)
I think the aolicitor
On here is right, you should chase this up with the police.
You could try ignoring it, in case it goes away but Sod’s law will say that on Christmas Eve, you will be stopped and checked by the police and the system will show a warrant is out for you, and you will be locked up!

Yeah I definitely understand the point there, I have just completed a dbs check that came back clear, I know that o ly really shows up convictions. I don't see how they can lock me up though as I've done nothing illegal and have the paperwork with the second date to hand to prove it!

You would not be convicted of failing to appear, it would just be the inconvenience of being detained on the warrant at a time when it would not be a quick thing to prove it wrong.

You would not be convicted of failing to appear, it would just be the inconvenience of being detained on the warrant at a time when it would not be a quick thing to prove it wrong.

Right I see what you mean, I was under the impression there was no warrent out as they contacted me 6 days after the so called first court

Right I see what you mean then, I was under the impression there was no warrant as the court issued one straight after I supposedly didn't turn up for the first date I was given and the police contacted me by phone 6days after. I thought maybe there was no further warrant to issue seen as the second court date technically didn't exist! I see the point though a police cell on Christmas wouldn't be fun

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off