Changing your name ...for clean background checks

Convicted Driver Insurance

Carguy123

Hi

So obviously when you get charged for dangerous & drink driving offences it would be on your criminal record and affect your chances of getting a job when they do a background check...

My friend told me his dad has been in prison 3-4x and had his name changed every time he has come out of prison and has been able to pass the basic background checks for the criminal record every time he applied for a credit card, loan or job etc....

He said when his dad changed his name they company only do a background check on the new name and because it comes up clean they have no issues with him.

After some of my own research into this, I am thinking of changing my name after I get charged with these driving offences .... so that way it does not effect my employment possibility’s in the future when they do a criminal record check....

(Obviously I won’t be applying for jobs involving driving, however still would prefer a clean record on background check)

what do you guys think?

Hi

So obviously when you get charged for dangerous & drink driving offences it would be on your criminal record and affect your chances of getting a job when they do a background check...

My friend told me his dad has been in prison 3-4x and had his name changed every time he has come out of prison and has been able to pass the basic background checks for the criminal record every time he applied for a credit card, loan or job etc....

He said when his dad changed his name they company only do a background check on the new name and because it comes up clean they have no issues with him.

After some of my own research into this, I am thinking of changing my name after I get charged with these driving offences .... so that way it does not effect my employment possibility’s in the future when they do a criminal record check....

(Obviously I won’t be applying for jobs involving driving, however still would prefer a clean record on background check)

what do you guys think?
When you change your name you don’t get a new national insurance number. Background checks are carried out by employers using your national insurance number and date of birth. This would have absolutely 0 effect on a background check, everything is tied to your national insurance number to prevent this exact thing. The deed poll service provides your new name to the credit reference agencies and your previous identity is noted on your report. This may work if you want to work cash in hand the rest of your life, but most places paying under the table won’t care much about your criminal history.

I’ve had no issue getting employment with a DD conviction. My solicitor was in the paper 3 years ago with one, he’s still a solicitor. I know nurses with DD convictions, they’re still nurses. I was working with children when I got mine, I’m still working in the same field and that’s an enhanced DBS field.

Hi

what do you guys think?

Agree with Grice96, plus add that if you were then to apply for credit or employment and answer the question ‘do you have a criminal record?’ As NO, then you may well have committed an offence of ‘obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception.” If the offer would not have been made if you had been truthful then the offence would be made out.

Perhaps that is why your friends dad has a history of being in and out of prison? Committing offences to hide previous offences.........

Agree with Grice96, plus add that if you were then to apply for credit or employment and answer the question ‘do you have a criminal record?’ As NO, then you may well have committed an offence of ‘obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception.” If the offer would not have been made if you had been truthful then the offence would be made out.

Perhaps that is why your friends dad has a history of being in and out of prison? Committing offences to hide previous offences.........

To add to this your new identity is linked to your old one in so many ways it’s hard to actually list them. Here are the first few that come to mind:

Registering to vote - will link your previous name to your new name with all credit referencing agencies.

Updating name on your bank account - will link your new name to the credit referencing agencies.

Phone contract - updating your name links your new identity to your old one.

If you attempt to open a bank account, line of credit or phone contract with solely the new identity you will essentially have 0 credit history and won’t even get passed the application state. Most online and phone application systems will automatically reject you before you even speak to a person. Say you’re 30, a 30 year old with patchy credit history can open a bank account, a 30 year old who appears to have never even held a bank account in their life will trigger an investigation. My house mates dad sorted all his finances, he’s now 25 and can’t get approved for a £7 a month sim only phone contract because of his lack of credit history.

You would be putting yourself in an infinitely worse position doing this than you would be just declaring a DR10 conviction. I know Lorry drivers through AA that have DR10’s on their record, it isn’t as much of a barrier as you think as long as you’re honest. Hiding it will get you dismissed for dishonesty rather than the conviction itself. A fraud conviction however, will close so many doors permanently. Just don’t do it.

Hi, I really do not think it is worth the hassle as pointed out by the others, it can have severe implications. Honesty goes a very long way- I was transparent with my current employer (NHS) at the time and they supported me all the way through. Additionally, I was in the process of applying to go back to university this year and have been accepted onto a programme (I had to go through several panels and disclose the information, which in itself was painful and shameful) but having come out on the other side being truthful has been the way to go. You would be surprised as to how supportive employers are, when you have disclosed the circumstances of the incident. Good luck.

Reactions: TPR
Hi, I really do not think it is worth the hassle as pointed out by the others, it can have severe implications. Honesty goes a very long way- I was transparent with my current employer (NHS) at the time and they supported me all the way through. Additionally, I was in the process of applying to go back to university this year and have been accepted onto a programme (I had to go through several panels and disclose the information, which in itself was painful and shameful) but having come out on the other side being truthful has been the way to go. You would be surprised as to how supportive employers are, when you have disclosed the circumstances of the incident. Good luck.

I would like to also add that I started Law in University since my conviction. I declared it on my application and had one phone call to ask me the circumstances of the event, I was upfront and honest about my drinking at the time, my crash and how I had no intention of ever doing such a wreckless and stupid thing again. I was offered my place that day, all the while still working in an enhanced DBS field outside of uni. It really is not the barrier OP thinks it is.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off