Chance of address and medical waiting time?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Hoppy123

Hello,

I changed house while I was banned so never received the letter for my medical as I was classed as a high risk driver (first offence and was 4 times over and crashed on my own) but was told to post a letter with old address, new address, DOB, license number etc. I did that a few weeks ago and my ban should of been lifted on the 28th of June so was wondering when I should receive something from the DVLA about booking my medical? Also, with the virus etc at the moment is the booking time longer? I had my bloods done this week by my GP just to see how things are (I know the NHS doesn’t do the same test, I just had a full liver etc test minus the CDT (I think it’s called that?) test).

I know I should of changed my address months ago but forgot about it completely. I’m not worried about the test as not had a drink for months, I just want to get back on the road as it’s been a hard nearly 2 years (I did the course to reduce the length) as I live in the remote Lake District.

Many thanks all.

Also. Just wondering what my insurance would be like now? I was paying £410 a year on a BMW M3 (£38k value) so wanted to know roughly I would pay now for a car of similar value? It will be a lower insurance group as BMW was the highest group.

Also. Just wondering what my insurance would be like now? I was paying £410 a year on a BMW M3 (£38k value) so wanted to know roughly I would pay now for a car of similar value? It will be a lower insurance group as BMW was the highest group.

The DVLA are currently working through applications received during lockdown, the last time there was an update last week it was mentioned that they were on applications from the 20th ish of March. It'll be a while yet before they get to your application. I can't really tell you what your insurance will be but I drove a 3.2 litre Mercedes C-Class valued around 6k before my ban at £600 odd per year. I now drive a diesel Golf valued around £900 for £2200 for the year.

Just go onto confused dot com, put in all your details including the conviction and claims (if you have any) but don't put in your driver number as it will show as banned and you will get quotes. Some people aren't effected to badly, others like me at 24 are hammered.

The DVLA are currently working through applications received during lockdown, the last time there was an update last week it was mentioned that they were on applications from the 20th ish of March. It'll be a while yet before they get to your application. I can't really tell you what your insurance will be but I drove a 3.2 litre Mercedes C-Class valued around 6k before my ban at £600 odd per year. I now drive a diesel Golf valued around £900 for £2200 for the year.

Just go onto confused dot com, put in all your details including the conviction and claims (if you have any) but don't put in your driver number as it will show as banned and you will get quotes. Some people aren't effected to badly, others like me at 24 are hammered.

So it sounds like I have some waiting to do then! Say I applied for the medical on Monday is there an estimate of when I would get my medical done?

Regarding insurance, I was told around 40% increase?! My license was completely clean with full no claims and zero points etc before and 36 years old.

There's no estimate at all mate, it's like the wild west at the minute for people applying with a tonne of misinformation being provided by DVLA staff. All you can do is wait, or send another application to the DVLA key worker address with an explaination about your address etc and let on you're a key worker.

I was told at the drink driving awareness course to expect a 40-60% increase in my premium at my age so was shocked at a 366% increase. This is for DR10 for which I was banned for 9 months plus a claim against me for the guts of 4k . I spent months shopping around for insurance and it didn't matter who I rang or bargained with, I got my best price on a price comparison site. The first year after the ban was £2200 but it has now settled to £1450 for this year and I'm hoping for another drop off next year.

There's no estimate at all mate, it's like the wild west at the minute for people applying with a tonne of misinformation being provided by DVLA staff. All you can do is wait, or send another application to the DVLA key worker address with an explaination about your address etc and let on you're a key worker.

I was told at the drink driving awareness course to expect a 40-60% increase in my premium at my age so was shocked at a 366% increase. This is for DR10 for which I was banned for 9 months plus a claim against me for the guts of 4k . I spent months shopping around for insurance and it didn't matter who I rang or bargained with, I got my best price on a price comparison site. The first year after the ban was £2200 but it has now settled to £1450 for this year and I'm hoping for another drop off next year.

Thanks again for the information, I don’t even have an application letter from them? Is there one I can download and send off for the medical?

Im hoping my insurance shouldn’t be over £1000 but budgeting for £1500 max. Luckily my insurance paid out for my accident (for my car) and the insurance company was very aware of me being over the limit. In fact, when I got home I checked over the policy handbook and there was no mention of drinking/dangerous driving at all. I. Checked some others out and they did mention both but I was a little worried still but when they knew I was over the limit in the crash in the letter the posted out along with the cheque I knew I was all clear. I already did as I was told before by telephone call.

They haven't been sending out application letters with covid so you would not have received one anyway mate. Best you can do is pick up an application from the post office.

It all depends on the value of your claim, if it was in the 10's of thousands then be prepared for the worst. My insurance only covered the 3rd party in the event you blow over the limit so my car was a total loss and an expensive lesson. Like I said, go onto confused.com now and enter all your details along with the details of your claim and conviction and you will get an accurate price. Quotes on a 2003 M3 come back at over 10k a year for me lol

They haven't been sending out application letters with covid so you would not have received one anyway mate. Best you can do is pick up an application from the post office.

It all depends on the value of your claim, if it was in the 10's of thousands then be prepared for the worst. My insurance only covered the 3rd party in the event you blow over the limit so my car was a total loss and an expensive lesson. Like I said, go onto confused.com now and enter all your details along with the details of your claim and conviction and you will get an accurate price. Quotes on a 2003 M3 come back at over 10k a year for me lol

Sorry I thought you had to apply for the medical before your license?

Sorry I thought you had to apply for the medical before your license?

You send in the application for a licence, then usually within 2-3 weeks they send you a letter to book the medical. For me the questionnaire was completed at the medical, not sure if this is the same for everyone.

You send in the application for a licence, then usually within 2-3 weeks they send you a letter to book the medical. For me the questionnaire was completed at the medical, not sure if this is the same for everyone.

I didn’t know that, did you say the post office is where you get it from? Deffo no online download?

Also, will there be any problems as I sent the change of address about 3-4 weeks ago.

I didn’t know that, did you say the post office is where you get it from? Deffo no online download?

Also, will there be any problems as I sent the change of address about 3-4 weeks ago.

If you have not received the D27 then you send a D1 application. Usually you can order them on the DVLA website but this service isn't being offered at the minute. So your only other option is to pick one up in the post office.

As regards to the address change, ring them and see what they say.

Hoppy123
Ring them to confirm new address, I was in same position and called them to confirm details were up to date,

Many thanks, do you know the best contact number at present as any number I dial it goes straight to a voicemail saying look at the website etc.

Well I have tried about 20 times to call them but nothing, just an automated voicemail.

It’s been almost 3 months since I posted the letter to the DVLA that my address has changed while banned hence nothing in the post about booking my medical or applying for my licence. I spoke to someone around 4 months ago about the change of address and they said to post a letter with: name, DOB, licence number, old address and new address.

My ban was over nearly 2 months ago now and when I go to check my license out online it’s STILL registered to my old address as putting in my new post code does not show anything while my old one does.

Any ideas? I’ve still got to get my medical done and get my license, looks like my ban is going to be more like 2.5+ years instead of 1.8 at this rate.

Also to add, what shall I do in the mean time? I cannot apply for my license as I think you have to do the medical first and even so, what address would I put down? In the letter I sent them it was hand written and signed, like the woman on the phone ages ago told me to do.

Also to add, what shall I do in the mean time? I cannot apply for my license as I think you have to do the medical first and even so, what address would I put down? In the letter I sent them it was hand written and signed, like the woman on the phone ages ago told me to do.
Hi I was in same situation, once you eventually get medical and pass all the necessary your licence will be issued in new address. 100%

Hi I was in same situation, once you eventually get medical and pass all the necessary your licence will be issued in new address. 100%

You mean your address was wrong while banned?

I have tried every way to contact the DVLA but im getting nowhere at all.

Do I apply for a licence or medical or do I need to change my address first? Its still showing my old address.

Why won't they answer the bloody phone?!

Hello,

I changed house while I was banned so never received the letter for my medical as I was classed as a high risk driver (first offence and was 4 times over and crashed on my own) but was told to post a letter with old address, new address, DOB, license number etc. I did that a few weeks ago and my ban should of been lifted on the 28th of June so was wondering when I should receive something from the DVLA about booking my medical? Also, with the virus etc at the moment is the booking time longer? I had my bloods done this week by my GP just to see how things are (I know the NHS doesn’t do the same test, I just had a full liver etc test minus the CDT (I think it’s called that?) test).

I know I should of changed my address months ago but forgot about it completely. I’m not worried about the test as not had a drink for months, I just want to get back on the road as it’s been a hard nearly 2 years (I did the course to reduce the length) as I live in the remote Lake District.

Many thanks all.

You need to get a D1 from the post office (application for a driving licence) DVLA have not been sending out their D27 form for licence renewal after drink driving. Send that off with the £90 fee.

On that form it asks you for you original (driving licence ) address and your current one. They will then, eventually, send you the details for who to contact for your medical. You do not get details of your medical until you apply for your licence back.

If you do not do this, when they eventually get round to a ending your address from the letter you sent, they will still not send you the D27 form, so make sure you get the form from the post Office and submit it.

You need to get a D1 from the post office (application for a driving licence) DVLA have not been sending out their D27 form for licence renewal after drink driving. Send that off with the £90 fee.

On that form it asks you for you original (driving licence ) address and your current one. They will then, eventually, send you the details for who to contact for your medical. You do not get details of your medical until you apply for your licence back.

If you do not do this, when they eventually get round to a ending your address from the letter you sent, they will still not send you the D27 form, so make sure you get the form from the post Office and submit it.

Ahhhh finally some progress! Thank you so much!

I found the D1 form on the DVLA website, can I print and fill it in?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off