Cdt

Convicted Driver Insurance

Tra

Has Anybody drank wine Only approx 4 nights a week a bottle - then abstained for 7 days before cdt passed? And at What Level (green, red, amber? Thanks

Has Anybody drank wine Only approx 4 nights a week a bottle - then abstained for 7 days before cdt passed? And at What Level (green, red, amber? Thanks
4 bottles of wine a week are around 48 units of alcohol where the Govt. guideline is a max of 14 units a week.

At those levels, it is very likely that CDT will be raised quite considerably, and as it generally takes around 2 weeks or so for CDT to halve in value, a week's abstinence is not likely to make a significant difference to you.

There is no longer such a thing as red, amber, green - people are assessed individually depending on their circumstances, many people classed as dependent have been refused with CDT's as low as 0.4% - generally a result of below 1% is required, but this is only 1 of the parameters looked at, they also look at whatever they currently know, your medical result, your GP's report and any information from other agencies.

If your CDT was high originally, it is probable that you would be denied a licence and possibly told that you need to provide 12 months PROOF of complete abstinence, and an inference that you should remain free of alcohol for LIFE (or at least until a full 10 year licence has been issued - which could involve around 7 years of annual medicals and CDT tests)

Thats harsh as it was an arguement with officer that made me refuse to do the breathilizer not alcohol. I did However blow for the nurse the station - I blew 42 - 38 legal limit released after an hour !!! The police said this wouldnt stand up in court - I was banned for 12 months reduced to 9 with driving course-

Attachments

• AEACCA2C-46FF-4263-B630-DBEDAC96066A.png
    AEACCA2C-46FF-4263-B630-DBEDAC96066A.png
    318.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thats harsh as it was an arguement with officer that made me refuse to do the breathilizer not alcohol. I did However blow for the nurse the station - I blew 42 - 38 legal limit released after an hour !!! The police said this wouldnt stand up in court - I was banned for 12 months reduced to 9 with driving course-
Doesn't matter why you refused, if you refuse - you refuse, which makes you an HRO.

The legal limit is actually 35 not 38, not sure if a nurse is qualified to use an intoximeter, or whether the Police would actually let her use the machine so not sure how she got a reading from you???

That attachment you added is not in the slightest bit helpful to you, I'm not sure if the 'qualified' Dr is talking about alcohol in the blood because if he is talking about CDT (which is not alcohol), then he is completely and utterly wrong and should be struck off if he is telling people that....

Thats harsh as it was an arguement with officer that made me refuse to do the breathilizer not alcohol. I did However blow for the nurse the station - I blew 42 - 38 legal limit released after an hour !!! The police said this wouldnt stand up in court - i was banned for 2 months reduced to 9 with driving course-
Doesn't matter why you refused, if you refuse - you refuse, which makes you an HRO.

The legal limit is actually 35 not 38, not sure if a nurse is qualified to use an intoximeter, or whether the Police would actually let her use the machine so not sure how she got a reading from you???

That attachment you added is not in the slightest bit helpful to you, I'm not sure if the 'qualified' Dr is talking about alcohol in the blood because if he is talking about CDT (which is not alcohol), then he is completely and utterly wrong and should be struck off if he is telling people that.... in answer to doc also he was refering to cdt
I definately was told to blow for the nurse at the station, I did so I know -:
the police officers also stood behind the desk guessing between them what I would blow !!! It was humiliating Only ever had 3 points for speeding in 29 years

Last edited:
I think it's also worth mentioning that that 'doctor' wasn't replying to the Tra's question (the important part being the quantity in which the Tra has recently consumed), it was in fact from someone, throughout lockdown (2020), that hammered it over a few days and had a binge several weeks prior - nothing as excessive as what Tra has previously consumed (upwards of 50 units a week). The doctor, in a previous question, initially instructed the person that they'd be clear after a month (this was because they thought that person already had their CDT test booked in a months time). They weren't given any unit quantities either, so I'm not sure how they could possibly know, or make any educated guess, how long it would take for a person's CDT to be at a 'passable' level.

Either way, BigTom's replies are spot on. I wouldn't risk having my medical so soon.

Reactions: Tra
Ive already had it hopefully they Will look at medical history and my personal experience not cdt then !!!

Attachments

• CB86AB7F-5674-4552-8E73-0C3DC743285C.png
    CB86AB7F-5674-4552-8E73-0C3DC743285C.png
    463.5 KB · Views: 13
Ive already had it hopefully they Will look at medical history and my personal experience not cdt then !!!
Just out of interest, how much alcohol did you say you consume (per week, in units), on the medical questionnaire (DR1 form)?

Just out of interest, how much alcohol did you say you consume (per week, in units), on the medical questionnaire (DR1 form)?
He didnt Ask A week unit that incam remember I Said 2/3! Glasses 4 times Week Which is truth

Last edited:
1 week should be enough im not alcohol dependant
4 bottles of wine a week when you are due a DVLA medical suggests otherwise to me. Just Sayin'..........

Not all dependent people sit on park benches drinking meths!

4 bottles of wine a week when you are due a DVLA medical suggests otherwise to me. Just Sayin'..........

Not all dependent people sit on park benches drinking meths!
I knew nothing about sustaining until a week before the letter arrived !!!! Which I did - from then on - I am a carer and work 12 hour shifts 4 times a week I like to have a drink to wind down the other nights !!! Doesnt anyone? I have a car waiting for my licence Thanks tho for your info

Last edited:
My cdt came back 0.4 but because I was honest on form at private medical about antidepressants- which are only short term as I lost my best friend I was a carer for in November ! And stuggling I was prescribed low dose - temporary, I now have my life back on track and a new job I love I’m paying for being honest on the form I feel waiting and waiting for doctors to say what ? I don’t understand I already disclosed to dvla and im still waiting for doctor to fill in form upto 4 weeks gggggrrrr just doesn’t make sense to me

Attachments

• 9ACF7717-F698-4944-882F-EFB8BBEB0E8F.png
    9ACF7717-F698-4944-882F-EFB8BBEB0E8F.png
    293.6 KB · Views: 16
My cdt came back 0.4 but because I was honest on form at private medical about antidepressants- which are only short term as I lost my best friend I was a carer for in November ! And stuggling I was prescribed low dose - temporary, I now have my life back on track and a new job I love I’m paying for being honest on the form I feel waiting and waiting for doctors to say what ? I don’t understand I already disclosed to dvla and im still waiting for doctor to fill in form upto 4 weeks gggggrrrr just doesn’t make sense to me
I'm a little lost as to what you being on antidepressants has to do with your CDT test result or your licence application.

If you're frustrated that you're having to wait for your GP to reply to the DVLA, get in line! The DVLA aren't just going to take what you say as the truth. I think you're incredibly lucky that you haven't had your licence application refused, due to alcohol misuse as a result of you being honest about your alcohol consumption (you said you were honest with the DVLA approved doctor, whilst at your medical).
Some GP's would put a person in the alcohol misuse category if they were to drink more than 14 units of alcohol per week, or 14+ units of alcohol over a period of less than 3 days (basically drinking the maximum weekly 'allowance' in 1 or 2 days, instead of spacing it over a period of 3+ days).

Does your GP know how much alcohol you consume?

Please don't think I'm being judgemental because I'm not. I know how stressful the caring role is, I'm also a carer. I don't drink, not anymore. I'd probably put away a couple of pints of super strength gut-rot a night, or several glasses of wine too, if I actually thought I had any control over alcohol, or if I didn't need my licence.

As has been mentioned before, on this forum by several members with far more wisdom than me, you have to decide what is more important - alcohol or the ability to drive.

One of the reasons for the DVLA contacting your GP is because of the possible connection between the use of antidepressants (mental health condition(s)) and alcohol use. As you've already explained, your job is stressful and you often help to relieve that stress with alcohol (help you wind down). Among possible other things, the DVLA want to make sure that you aren't self medicating with alcohol, or that alcohol wasn't/isn't the reason for your ill mental health.

I'm a little lost as to what you being on antidepressants has to do with your CDT test result or your licence application.

If you're frustrated that you're having to wait for your GP to reply to the DVLA, get in line! The DVLA aren't just going to take what you say as the truth. I think you're incredibly lucky that you haven't had your licence application refused, due to alcohol misuse as a result of you being honest about your alcohol consumption (you said you were honest with the DVLA approved doctor, whilst at your medical).
Some GP's would put a person in the alcohol misuse category if they were to drink more than 14 units of alcohol per week, or 14+ units of alcohol over a period of less than 3 days (basically drinking the maximum weekly 'allowance' in 1 or 2 days, instead of spacing it over a period of 3+ days).

Does your GP know how much alcohol you consume?

Please don't think I'm being judgemental because I'm not. I know how stressful the caring role is, I'm also a carer. I don't drink, not anymore. I'd probably put away a couple of pints of super strength gut-rot a night, or several glasses of wine too, if I actually thought I had any control over alcohol, or if I didn't need my licence.

As has been mentioned before, on this forum by several members with far more wisdom than me, you have to decide what is more important - alcohol or the ability to drive.
Not on a weekly basis obv judging by my cdt

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off