CDT Variant and cannot be tested

Convicted Driver Insurance

Elizalisa

Hi everyone,

I have my medical coming up and to stop some anxiety I paid for the online CDT at home test. I just got my results and they say :

We have just sent you your CDT results.

As you can see, you have a genetic variant of CDT which makes it impossible to measure it.

Therefore this test cannot be used by the DVLA to assess your drinking.

A different test will need to be used.

I note that you have ordered a second CDT and have therefore taken the liberty of cancelling it and refunding your fee in full.

I hope that this is satisfactory.

Kind regards,

does anyone know what this means?! Has anyone had this before? Freaking out a bit now 🙈
The doctors result says

N/A
Genetic transferrin variant detected.
CDT not quantifiable.
Alternative means of assessing alcohol misuse should be used.

All I can suggest is that you include a copy of the CDT result from the private lab and when that is matched by their result they will have to see what other Information they will accept.
have you any history with your GP re alcohol?

It could even be worth sending a copy of the CDT result with your application as well. That way it gives them the opportunity of considering a parallel process to blood. I feel sure they will
Still send you for a medical... for all they know someone else did the test for you and you are trying to avoid their CDT... but if they only find out after your medical that there is a CDT problem, then decide to try another route, is could add weeks to the process.

All I can suggest is that you include a copy of the CDT result from the private lab and when that is matched by their result they will have to see what other Information they will accept.
have you any history with your GP re alcohol?

It could even be worth sending a copy of the CDT result with your application as well. That way it gives them the opportunity of considering a parallel process to blood. I feel sure they will
Still send you for a medical... for all they know someone else did the test for you and you are trying to avoid their CDT... but if they only find out after your medical that there is a CDT problem, then decide to try another route, is could add weeks to the process.
Hi, thank you for replying, sorry I didn’t explain myself very well,
I have got my medical next week.
My GP has all the info on my alcohol issue. Do you think they will send me for a further test?
I really don’t want to add to the time I’ve been off the road, I’ve been trying to get a medical since November, it’s been a nightmare. The dvla basically said no medicals were being done in scotland due to COVID. Not sure if they were fobbing me off, I wrote to my MP and the next week I had an invitation to attend a clinic 100miles away 4 weeks later. The clinic only does dvla testing once a month so I’m worried if this test really doesn’t work on my I would be looking at a month before an alternative test. Is it worth contacting the dvla about? They are so unhelpful and I know would probably make this situation more complicated

Hi, thank you for replying, sorry I didn’t explain myself very well,
I have got my medical next week.
My GP has all the info on my alcohol issue. Do you think they will send me for a further test?
I really don’t want to add to the time I’ve been off the road, I’ve been trying to get a medical since November, it’s been a nightmare. The dvla basically said no medicals were being done in scotland due to COVID. Not sure if they were fobbing me off, I wrote to my MP and the next week I had an invitation to attend a clinic 100miles away 4 weeks later. The clinic only does dvla testing once a month so I’m worried if this test really doesn’t work on my I would be looking at a month before an alternative test. Is it worth contacting the dvla about? They are so unhelpful and I know would probably make this situation more complicated
In which case You should email a copy of the CDT test to: medicalsupport@dvla.gov.uk asap with your M number as the reference (It is on the letters DVLA send you) and ask. Them if they have any alternatives that can be done at your medical instead of the CDT (I suspect not) or what they can do IN ADDITION to the CDT test at your medical to prevent this being strung out.
I fear that your delay could be more than a month. It could take them that long to get the CDT result and consider it, then by the time (if) they they do decide to send you back to the doctor for further samples you might have to wait a couple of months to be able to get another appointment. Hence the need to push them about what to expect from your CDT now rather than later.
I also wonder if they got a “unable to process CDT” result from their test, they might consider sending you for another CDT test.... which will doubtless be no good. By sending the private lab result, they will see that this has now happened twice and they will certainly consider another option.

Hi Elizalisa,

Although i have read about genetic transferrin variant issues, informing the DVLA about private results will not help at all as DVLA don't accept or consider private test results? If i were you i would ignore the private test results and continue abstaining from alcohol until you go for a DVLA CDT test.... Don't fool yourself thinking that CDT test doesn't work for you, it may be that the result was too high to be true and i read that a small percentage of the population about 1% have these transferrin variants especially Africans, however if i were you i would simply ignore the private test result? Sounds to me like you had your private test with Medichecks.....

Hi Elizalisa,

Although i have read about genetic transferrin variant issues, informing the DVLA about private results will not help at all as DVLA don't accept or consider private test results? If i were you i would ignore the private test results and continue abstaining from alcohol until you go for a DVLA CDT test.... Don't fool yourself thinking that CDT test doesn't work for you, it may be that the result was too high to be true and i read that a small percentage of the population about 1% have these transferrin variants especially Africans, however if i were you i would simply ignore the private test result? Sounds to me like you had your private test with Medichecks.....
I disagree with some of this. Whilst it is right to say that DVLA do not accept Private CDT results, The aim of sending it to DVLA is to help show them that - providing they get the same result - then they are not likely to get a proper CDT result by getting you to try again in weeks time, thereby delaying the outcome of your application.
They do not accept private CDT tests because anyone ovule have submitted a blood sample in your name.
However, your private sample showing ‘Genetic transferin variant detected’ and theirs showing the same result may convince them there is no mileage in trying again. What are the chances of someone submitting a sample for you producing the same rare result?

I disagree with some of this. Whilst it is right to say that DVLA do not accept Private CDT results, The aim of sending it to DVLA is to help show them that - providing they get the same result - then they are not likely to get a proper CDT result by getting you to try again in weeks time, thereby delaying the outcome of your application.
They do not accept private CDT tests because anyone ovule have submitted a blood sample in your name.
However, your private sample showing ‘Genetic transferin variant detected’ and theirs showing the same result may convince them there is no mileage in trying again. What are the chances of someone submitting a sample for you producing the same rare result?
I think in my own opinion, if the test with DVLA comes back as **genetic transferrin variant detected** with or without sending your private test result DVLA will not repeat the CDT test, however they will conduct another test - but i cant think of any test which they may choose but i have read about Phosphatidylethanol test in other scientific articles..... I also think that they will always be a delay if the CDT test cant be done due to transferrin variant issues, hence the reason why i think its unnecessary to send private test results to DVLA....

I think in my own opinion, if the test with DVLA comes back as **genetic transferrin variant detected** with or without sending your private test result DVLA will not repeat the CDT test, however they will conduct another test - but i cant think of any test which they may choose but i have read about Phosphatidylethanol test in other scientific articles..... I also think that they will always be a delay if the CDT test cant be done due to transferrin variant issues, hence the reason why i think its unnecessary to send private test results to DVLA....
I have an inkling to agree with your thoughts @KillerT. I don't think it will necessarily hurt to send the result off to DVLA 'further medical advice', but as the blood could have been taken from anywhere, the test could have been adulterated at the lab and the external testing will more than likely have been tested in a different manner to the official testing sanctioned by DVLA, I think they will still insist in their own blood test being carried out before making a decision.

This is unfortunate for the OP, but I think they may decide a different method of testing will be required as well, but I don't think they will do it instead. I really think they will take the external test as being the same as a letter from 'My mate Dave from down the pub'...

Hi there, wonder if u can help I had my last drink on the 21st of august, the gp has called me to bring it forward to Tuesday the 7th I haven’t touched any drink since the 22nd. My apt was supposed to the 14th September, I

Depends on what your tipple was before, and how much a day you drank….

I meant what was your normal drinking pattern every week before then. How much did you drink and what was the strength?

Tbh I got a feeling it's some lab who wants more paper , it's very very rare for any blood work to lie , if they couldn't get my level , I'd let them take mine out to look at I'm that desperate get in 1st gear

Hi there, wonder if u can help I had my last drink on the 21st of august, the gp has called me to bring it forward to Tuesday the 7th I haven’t touched any drink since the 22nd. My apt was supposed to the 14th September, I
Really , someone's got an appointment at last , ,28 days fully abstinent you'll fly it

Really , someone's got an appointment at last , ,28 days fully abstinent you'll fly it
Lol, it’s been changed now to the 28th of this month. And still haven’t touched a drop of drink since the 22nd of august. So fingers crossed. Once I have been for the full medical and results I will do a step by step and known me I will ask the doctor 500 questions so I’ll be sure to make sure I have a detailed report. As i am anxious about and I know so many other are.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off