CDT test

Convicted Driver Insurance
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately liver function tests are pointless for me due to a condition that causes high ferretin levels that can be interpreted as being due to alcohol which is why a CDT test is far more accurate but my GP won't entertain the idea of conducting one. Reducing my medication is not going to be an option. I stopped taking the medication that resulted in the accident at the time so the other medication that I'm taking has no bearing on my ability to drive, my GP has already stated this in their response to the DVLA. Therefore I find myself in the ridiculous position of not being able to provide the required evidence that the DVLA need to process my application.
I'm sorry to hear that. Can the DVLA send you to an approved franchise doctor to carry out a CDT test for you? Just a thought. It is proven that your medication increases high ferritin levels? Could you provide LFTs that show a consistent high level along with proof it's due to the meds you are on?

I have no idea. I'd like to think they could but asking the DVLA is like banging your head against a wall.

I would contact the DVLA and raise this with them. Did you disclose anything on your own medical questionnaire about this condition?

CJ

I would contact the DVLA and raise this with them. Did you disclose anything on your own medical questionnaire about this condition?

CJ
Yes, it's all on the medical questionnaire but I haven't sent it off yet as I'm waiting for a response from another medical practioner in the hope that my application doesn't get bounced.

Great news.

I take it you have zero medical history of alcohol problems, hence the 10 year licence?

CJ
Well back in 2020 I had some personal issues in my family and did go to doctor (thats when I got banned) said I was drinking more than usual he noted this but put on the response to dvla that it was misuse due to circumstances and it was just a blip and things are now fine (he’s been brilliant ) he actually put on the form I was drinking 5 bottles of wine a day!!! Which I wasn’t god I’d be dead now lol I questioned it and he said typo and meant a week but it had already been sent off and he said if they questioned it he would respond but obs they didn’t
hope that answers your question xx

Hi there I am still trying to get a medical. I paid the surgery they send me a letter and said they can only make a booking when they have the payment, made payment emailed them proof called again today now they say they will contact me😵‍💫 feel like I am going in circles. If you Google Nuffield Health you fill see under their services the blood test but then you give your details or book it online they have a couple of hospitals in different areas. So will go for my medical as soon as I get a booking just so relieved and at least not worrying about the cdt part. Would be interested to see if it comes down more in the next two weeks. Still worried they decide not to return my license after I have been on the forum and see so many peoples posts about what they had to go thru. So yes just peace of mind about the cdt part but who knows what comes back from the gp. Has tried to speak to them since June emailed called feeling like a am harassing them but all the response I get is that I don’t have something wrong with me they can’t contact me because of the work load and this is not i priority , witch I understand. The ban was ok it is trying to get my license back. My husband and son is the ones being punished mostly and the disabled man I am taking care of 2 days a week. I told him I understand if I get a new carer because I can’t drive but he has been so kind and said he trust me and after 4 years of being there for him he will try and wait it out for me to get my license back. But I was suppose to have it back 8 May then there was a problem that even the dvla don’t understand. To fix it I would have to get all the paperwork from the court cases so after 3 court cases fighting my offence and spending so much money I just could not be bothered to fight a gain just to loose so now it is suppose to be finished 11 November. Maybe if I am lucky I will have it in January.
After my cdt dvla one I got my licence back in 8 days they don’t have a back log anymore it’s just that system scanning that takes the time

good luck I did a Medichecks and my dvla one came back slightly lower x

It might be that you need to travel further afield to get your medical. I am not sure where you live, but even in the central belt of Scotland it only takes about a week to get an appointment.

You could try asking the DVL if they can give you the names of a few GP's in your area who carry them out and then call them to see when they have spaces.

Once you get one, get back in touch with the DVLA and tell them the name of the GP you want to go to. They were happy to allow me to select the practice I wanted to go to from the 4 they provided me with.
I live in Central Scotland. First appointment I could get was 6 weeks away!

Which practice was it with? I asked the DVLA for the Glasgow Medical Rooms and got an appointment with 2 weeks 1st time and 1 week 2nd time.
Tillicoultry and then Coatbridge because Tillicoultry wouldnt even give an appointment. DVLA were very reluctant to even give me the 2nd practice details. I will have to go back as I already know the CDT test doesn't work for me!

Tillicoultry and then Coatbridge because Tillicoultry wouldnt even give an appointment. DVLA were very reluctant to even give me the 2nd practice details. I will have to go back as I already know the CDT test doesn't work for me!
What do you mean the CDT test doesn't work for you? Have you had a private test? Did you stop drinking before this test if you had it? Has your GP tested you and told you that you have a metabolic issue regarding CDT.

It is very unusual to fail a CDT test other than through alcohol consumption.

I don't know why the DVLA are/were reluctant to give you details of another practice. They normally select the one closest to you using post codes, but often these are not the easiest to get to and I would imagine if Tillicoultry was your first option and then they gave you Coatbridge, it would not be that easy to get from the Stirling area to where I know this practice is in Coatbridge.

What do you mean the CDT test doesn't work for you? Have you had a private test? Did you stop drinking before this test if you had it? Has your GP tested you and told you that you have a metabolic issue regarding CDT.

It is very unusual to fail a CDT test other than through alcohol consumption.

I don't know why the DVLA are/were reluctant to give you details of another practice. They normally select the one closest to you using post codes, but often these are not the easiest to get to and I would imagine if Tillicoultry was your first option and then they gave you Coatbridge, it would not be that easy to get from the Stirling area to where I know this practice is in Coatbridge.
I dont drink at all. I have type D transferrin which doesnt give an accurate reading . I DID NOT FAIL the cdt test, it was returned with no result as sadly I am in the 2% of people in the uk that have the wrong type of transferrin. It wasnt the best trying to get to Coatbridge but there was real resistance from the DVLA call handler trying to get an alternative to Tillicoultry (which would have bern even more difficult). It was made clear to me that these practices were the only options I was going to get!!!!!

I dont drink at all. I have type D transferrin which doesnt give an accurate reading . I DID NOT FAIL the cdt test, it was returned with no result as sadly I am in the 2% of people in the uk that have the wrong type of transferrin. It wasnt the best trying to get to Coatbridge but there was real resistance from the DVLA call handler trying to get an alternative to Tillicoultry (which would have bern even more difficult). It was made clear to me that these practices were the only options I was going to get!!!!!
Do the DVLA know about your D Transferin issue, as from what you have said about their response to you regarding selecting a medical practice, they won't be too sympathetic with the results from your 'mandatory' CDT blood test.

You must have gotten a really obnoxious person when you called, as the one I spoke to for my first medical was more than happy to help and when I applied for my licence return after my 2nd ban, I specifically asked for the Glasgow Medical Rooms and this was the one they allocated me as it is the easiest for me to get to.

I was given a 1 year licence in Feb 2021 so will be applying again in 2022 and asking for the same doctor. Like you I donlt drink at a all now (3.5 years,) and my last CDT reading was only 0.4%.

Can I ask if you live closer to Glasgow (by public transport,) than any of the other 2 practices?

Do the DVLA know about your D Transferin issue, as from what you have said about their response to you regarding selecting a medical practice, they won't be too sympathetic with the results from your 'mandatory' CDT blood test.

You must have gotten a really obnoxious person when you called, as the one I spoke to for my first medical was more than happy to help and when I applied for my licence return after my 2nd ban, I specifically asked for the Glasgow Medical Rooms and this was the one they allocated me as it is the easiest for me to get to.

I was given a 1 year licence in Feb 2021 so will be applying again in 2022 and asking for the same doctor. Like you I donlt drink at a all now (3.5 years,) and my last CDT reading was only 0.4%.

Can I ask if you live closer to Glasgow (by public transport,) than any of the other 2 practices?
Yes, they know, but sent me for it anyway. The forms say that in some instances the CDT test wont work and an alternative will have to be done. I asked them to do the "alternative test" but they refused. I have had no convictions or bans for DUI either. The Dr at Coatbridge was horrified at why i have ended up in the system, but that's a differnt story. He even laughed (in a kind way) about the transferrin issue and says he will see me in a few weeks! Hopefully wont be long now!

Yes, they know, but sent me for it anyway. The forms say that in some instances the CDT test wont work and an alternative will have to be done. I asked them to do the "alternative test" but they refused. I have had no convictions or bans for DUI either. The Dr at Coatbridge was horrified at why i have ended up in the system, but that's a differnt story. He even laughed (in a kind way) about the transferrin issue and says he will see me in a few weeks! Hopefully wont be long now!
I do live closer to Glasgow by public transport, I might ask for that clinic details when they send me for the Peth test!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off