CDT test

Convicted Driver Insurance

Bluenikky68

Hi all and hope this helps some of you ....

Back in May 2019, I failed my CDT test with a result of 2.3%. My licence was revoked for 12 months based on this and misinformation sent to them by my GP. I appealed through the "Further Evidence" route and now have a new medical scheduled for 22 November. It's been a long hard slog to get there, but worth it to me. I'm a HRO due to my reading of 113 in 2015 and have been on 12 month licences since 2017.

I got copies from my GP surgery of all correspondence between the DVLA and my GP in both directions and found that because I had been prescribed Librium to try and help with my anxiety issues, it had been noted as a detoxification. I pointed out to my GP the error and confirmed that the amount of Librium I was on was not sufficient to be of detox value. I was a heavy drinker, but not dependent. Long story short, my GP re-wrote his letter confirming his mistake and sent it to DVLA.

In the meantime, I had also gone through his letter and the DVLA report request and highlighted my response and arguments each of their points. This was then emailed, faxed and posted to DVLA. Confirming my DR1 questionairre, I advised them that my usual intake is 4-5 units per week, on the last occasion I had consumed 2.3 units. Nowhere on the DR1 or in the medical was I asked about recent drinking. In the 10 days prior to my medical, I had been to several family/ friends parties and drunk over the limit (not driving anyway). I hadn't 'prepared' for the medical, as I had no concerns at all about passing - I didn't even check online suggestions, as I have passed it for the past 2 years without issue. Amazingly, this time included with my notification to book medical there was the CDT INFO sheet attached. Perhaps in future they will also change the DR1 to ask about "recent" intake and not just "usual" and "last occasion".

In short, if you have a medical coming up or failed:
a) Get copies of your GP's report to DVLA BEFORE he/she sends it to them and ensure that you agree with it.
b) Chase up your GP to ensure that they send the report off ASAP (mine didn't send it soon enough and so my licence expired. HROs cannot drive awaiting medical inquiry).
c) Keep chasing up DVLA to see who is writing to who and who is waiting for information.
d) Read the attached CDT Info letter way before your medical!!!

Good luck everyone!

Attachments

• CDT INFO.pdf
    129.2 KB · Views: 66
Hey Honestman, they did try to and they tried it in 2017 as well because my GP messed up massively both occasions with his reports to them. Apart from my reasoning to DVLA, my GP also rewrote and apologised for his mistakes - overworked, as he knows my history very well. As far as DVLA are concerned, Librium is a red flag for alcohol detox and they don't take dosage or reason into account; my GP's errors compounded this and got me a revoke for 12 months because of my 2.3%. I'll look at redacting all of the relevant letters, mails and faxes and post them on here if the mods here don't object.

Thanks for your reply mate they tried to label me dependent in January and I've gone down the same route you are on, they changed it to misuse 11 months later I'm on my third dvla medical and still waiting, you are right though they do give information now about less drinking when a medical is required...

On my last medical 29/10/19 the questionarre related to drinking now goes back six years, be nice to know if anyone else has experienced this?

Latest DR1 questionnaire and DVLA definitions of "misuse" and "dependence" attached below ...

Attachments

• DR1 ONLINE MEDICAL QUESTIONNAIRE - dr1-online-confidential-medical-information.pdf
    926.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Drug or alcohol misuse or dependence_ assessing fitness to drive - GOV.UK.pdf
    133.5 KB · Views: 17
On my last medical 29/10/19 the questionarre related to drinking now goes back six years, be nice to know if anyone else has experienced this?
Hi mate I suspected this just how far back can DVLA go into your records, sake I've got an employer willing and waiting for me to get back to work, fsake he'll even do an avidavt to my competency and sobriety. If I'd ever been doi /drunk driving I'd get this but iam 45 yrs clean licence, was trained driver at tender age of 17 by City of Glasgow Police Traffic department. Someone needs to take Swansea mob on and Win

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off