CDT Test (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi Guys, has anyone ever been for the CDT test and a had a reading of 3.0. My husband and I where on holiday and his test was the following Thursday and we only thought this test was similar to when your are tested after the event so his licence has been refused as he was 0.1% above what they allow. Can he apply straight away or does he have to wait for a period ? There is a letter for his to provide his GP, however, hes never had any history of alcohol abuse or missuse so i dont think this is applicable and wondered if he started to abstain now could he apply again
Any help is appreciated please
The rating to look at is 1.3% not 3% so he was well over

Hello,

I've been sober for 23 days - and I have a CDT test coming up.
I don't know when the test will be, as I'm waiting to hear back from the DVLA. Is it possible to have a pint of Shandy?
will that raise my CDT levels and undo all the good work I've done in the past 23 days? Thanks in advance,

Hello,

I don't know when the test will be, as I'm waiting to hear back from the DVLA. Is it possible to have a pint of Shandy?
will that raise my CDT levels and undo all the good work I've done in the past 23 days? Thanks in advance,
Why risk it for a 'shandy.' Just don't drink until after your test.

Why risk it for a 'shandy.' Just don't drink until after your test.
Hello,

Don't risk it. Getting your precious driving licence back is worth far more than a pint of shandy. I abstained for 3 months (because I was hoping for a medical cancellation that didn't happen) and scored 0.8%. Some score much lower. It would be awful to fail it and then have to prove one year abstinence. It will be worth it in the end, I promise.

Don't risk it. Getting your precious driving licence back is worth far more than a pint of shandy. I abstained for 3 months (because I was hoping for a medical cancellation that didn't happen) and scored 0.8%. Some score much lower. It would be awful to fail it and then have to prove one year abstinence. It will be worth it in the end, I promise.
very good point! Thanks - think I knew that I just needed to hear it from someone else.
(As sad as that sounds) - nice one. :)

very good point! Thanks - think I knew that I just needed to hear it from someone else.
(As sad as that sounds) - nice one. :)
Smotha, I hope you don't have a problem with your drinking as if you do you are likely to end up in the same position again, just as I did.

To put CDT in context, when I had my last CDT test earlier this year, I hadn't drank ANY alcohol for 3.5 years.

My CDT was 0.30%, which is about as low as you can go without being a corpse.

Smotha, I hope you don't have a problem with your drinking as if you do you are likely to end up in the same position again, just as I did.

To put CDT in context, when I had my last CDT test earlier this year, I hadn't drank ANY alcohol for 3.5 years.

My CDT was 0.30%, which is about as low as you can go without being a corpse.
Thanks! I think most people have a problem with their drinking - if they admit it or not.
I know my family would say they don't, but they couldn't go through 1 meal or social occasion without alcohol.
I just know if I have one drink, it'll be two, then 3 then 4 etc

So like I said, really glad I came on here but it's just reconfirmed the fact I shouldn't even have one.
it's easy saying that now, as when I'm on this date I know I'll be nervous, and my brain will be demanding to be calmed down.

Thanks! I think most people have a problem with their drinking - if they admit it or not.
I know my family would say they don't, but they couldn't go through 1 meal or social occasion without alcohol.

So like I said, really glad I came on here but it's just reconfirmed the fact I shouldn't even have one.
it's easy saying that now, as when I'm on this date I know I'll be nervous, and my brain will be demanding to be calmed down.
That's exactly the thing. It's never usually just one shandy. There is always the temptation of 'just one more.' As the chap said who ran our DD course, feel free to drink as much as you like, he still does, but never jump in a car afterwards. I know I never will again. Good luck with your medical. 🙂

That's exactly the thing. It's never usually just one shandy. There is always the temptation of 'just one more.' As the chap said who ran our DD course, feel free to drink as much as you like, he still does, but never jump in a car afterwards. I know I never will again. Good luck with your medical. 🙂
Thanks! I started drinking in lockdown, and more and more. Then I quit on a Sunday night, didn't sleep for 3 days and ended up having a seizure at work on the Wednesday. The Dr said it was probably due to lack of sleep, but because I mentioned alcohol, they had to inform the DVLA. So, that happened in 2020, and I only got my CDT test in 2022! I had to get my local MP to get in touch with the DVLA in order to get it through. I did 7 months sober and admitted that on my DVLA test, and they refused the license because they said I needed to be a year sober!! (not the dr or DVLA informed me of this) so I did another year sober and passed with 0.7%. It's been a nightmare tbh - and after all of this you'd think I'd know not have even ONE drink before a CDT test. (it's good for me to write this as it's just reaffirming the issue). I know what it's like not to have a license for 2 years, absolute Nightmare.

Smotha, you have actually just paraphrased one of the most important things that are taught in Alcoholics Anonymous;

"If you don't take the 1st drink, then you cannot get drunk."

Think about what you have just said (unprompted.) That first drink is setting up a craving in your body/brain for more alcohol. And the more you drink the more you want.

I don't know if you have a problem. Only you can answer that one, so take one of the online Q&A tests, answer honestly and see what the results are.

Then decide if you need to do something about your drinking.

Plus you don;t need to be an alcoholic to join Alcoholics Anonymous. You just need a desire to give up drinking.

Smotha, you have actually just paraphrased one of the most important things that are taught in Alcoholics Anonymous;

"If you don't take the 1st drink, then you cannot get drunk."

Think about what you have just said (unprompted.) That first drink is setting up a craving in your body/brain for more alcohol. And the more you drink the more you want.

I don't know if you have a problem. Only you can answer that one, so take one of the online Q&A tests, answer honestly and see what the results are.

Then decide if you need to do something about your drinking.

Plus you don;t need to be an alcoholic to join Alcoholics Anonymous. You just need a desire to give up drinking.
Oh yes I do have a problem, totally admit that. I do attend a weekly zoom meeting (similar to AA) and that helps a lot.
Talking is key, as is sharing and emphasising.
And another thing is just to think it's 24 hours, and so far I've nearly done 17hours out of the 24. Which helps put the craving to bed.

Oh yes I do have a problem, totally admit that. I do attend a weekly zoom meeting (similar to AA) and that helps a lot.
And another thing is just to think it's 24 hours, and so far I've nearly done 17hours out of the 24. Which helps put the craving to bed.
That's great Smotha. You are on the right track. Break it down to 15 minute time periods if you have to and talking about it with others will help. Plus get phone numbers of people that might help you when you are feeling low and you think 'eff it - I'll just have a drink.'

Not sure if you have tried AA, but it's helped me.

Thanks! I started drinking in lockdown, and more and more. Then I quit on a Sunday night, didn't sleep for 3 days and ended up having a seizure at work on the Wednesday. The Dr said it was probably due to lack of sleep, but because I mentioned alcohol, they had to inform the DVLA. So, that happened in 2020, and I only got my CDT test in 2022! I had to get my local MP to get in touch with the DVLA in order to get it through. I did 7 months sober and admitted that on my DVLA test, and they refused the license because they said I needed to be a year sober!! (not the dr or DVLA informed me of this) so I did another year sober and passed with 0.7%. It's been a nightmare tbh - and after all of this you'd think I'd know not have even ONE drink before a CDT test. (it's good for me to write this as it's just reaffirming the issue). I know what it's like not to have a license for 2 years, absolute Nightmare.
Im not having this. Not a chance they would say you have to be a year free from alchol

There are some really nice alcoholic free beers out there i drink those totally safe.

Hello,

You started a week early 16 days of abstinence and your golden . It's to prove your not an alcoholic . There is alcohol in orange juices and foods that we eat .

Im not having this. Not a chance they would say you have to be a year free from alchol
Yes bro that's the catch 22 if you have admitted to your GP you like a drink they will say about proof over 12 months. It's hard work I had to prove 12 months with drugs

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off