CDT Test (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Can I ask the following question -

Can a CDT level be low, even though your LFT readings might be above average?

I had a LFT done in August and it came back as slightly higher than it should be. The GP said its nothing to be too concerned about health wise - it could simply be a mild infection.

I've now abstained from alcohol for over a year and my very surprised my LFT was a little high. My concern now is that the DVLA find out when they contact the doctor and automatically assume I've been drinking when I have not!!!

Upon researching LFTs, unfortunately people like professional athletes can get increased LFT levels even though they are on a strictly heathy diet and exercise regularly.

At the other end of the scale, an elevated LFT can also be caused by obesity because of the amount of fat being consumed by those with extremely poor diets, even though the person does not touch alcohol.

I have been eating a lot of sugar during the summer such as cakes and chocolate so I am assuming that my cholesterol may have increased which impacts on the LFT readings.

If anyone can offer guidance about the variance between LFT and CDT, I would be greatful. I have nothing to hide - my HRO medical is not far off, but I'm mindful that my CDT level is not going to be as low as I expected because of the LFT readings.

CJ
I can’t offer any scientific advice. However, I recall many years ago I did the London marathon and had an lft done shortly after (medical reasons, not alcohol) and my results were really high. I informed the doc I had had quite a few ibuprofen over the past 48 hours post race when I had the bloods done and he seemed to think that was the cause.
I think from what I have CDT is quite specific so probably won’t be affected by these extra factors. it may be worth your getting a private CDT test done to put your mind at rest?

Wanted to share my experience as I found this forum really helpful in the run up to Medical Exam!

I abstained from alcohol for 11 days before my CDT test, I drank 6 Gin & Tonics on the last night I drank and abstained for another week before this (so essentially 1 binge in an 18 day period)
I am a weekend drinker, meaning I 'binge' most weekends but never drink in the week. I got a CDT result of 1.1%
I am a 30 year old female, non smoker, average weight, relatively fit
I had my GP contacted due to the amount of medication I take for allergies and it was all fine so don't panic if GP is contacted unless you have a history of alcohol abuse

If you say you refuse permission to contact your doctor, and your CDT is in any way elevated then they will simply refuse to issue you with a licence. As Honestman said, the way they have lumped down on testing HRO’s, they may refuse your licence no matter what the CDT result is if you refuse to have your medical records checked.
Hi again, do you have Tim Burton's email as I wish yo escalate my application, many thanks

Hi again, so if you are classed as alcohol dependant then, once DVLA are notified through your GP by the way of medical report DD2 then a refusal will follow stating: as a result of your alcohol dependence we will only accept an application from you when you can provide 12 months of medical evidence, all this means then will be regular LFT checks, a last alcoholic drink dated with your GP( this is when your new medical licence will start from) another completed DD2 showing your drinking is under control( in your case no alcohol ever again) and possibly a no of DVLA medicals, I attended 4, so fundamentally then you cannot drive until all the medical evidence is gathered along with your GPs support over the course of a year and submitted to them for investIgation. DVLA have dependency levels that they catergorize alcohol dependence in, so for example severe to mild dependance and depending on your circumstances the longest DVLA can keep you on a medical restricted licence is six years, as they feel if there has been no relapse during this six year period then the offender is not likely too, however according to your dependency level a 3 year licence could be issued, once a period review licence (temp licence) has been issued then it's up to the licence holder to protect that licence by submitting 2 LFT over the course of the year again coupled with your GPs support to secure your next licence,along with another DVLA CDT medical, and the process starts again, for me personally my licence was revoked for telling a GP I drank 30 units of alcohol per week, on investigation DVLA found alcohol dependence relating back to 2006 which I knew nothing about, ( no treatment) I spent the next 14 months fighting DVLA to do what I had to do to get my licence back, submitted 12 months of medical evidence ( without this they won't touch you) attended 4 DVLA medicals with three CDT readings of 0.9/0.8/0.7 the first medical was obsolete and a load of trips to my GP to support my licence application, was also investigated for anxiety and medication I am currently taking, for this they usually send out an medical report M1 for your GP to complete, just for you to be aware when the DVLA write out to your GPs they usually send form DD2/M2 and either of these forms usually carry a refusal if you have NOT been to see your GP .......these forms then carry all alcohol questions relating to the licence holder, for your own interesting read you can google DVLA alcohol&drug minutes where you can pick up lots of information and changes to the DVLA system that are trying to be put forward, and of course any changes then DVLA do not notify any driver, during my time on this forum I have helped quite a few people needless to say and enjoy helping where i can because the simply fact is DVLA will not help you or give you this information and keep,you guessing along the way, I have seen many temp licence holder been revoked further down the line for admitting to a small drink and thus say they have to prove 12 months sobriety all over again sooo heartbreaking, so do follow the advice on the forum and answer honestly on your questionarre and I know this is hard but do take it from someone who's been there and by lying they just keep refusing until you tell the truth, that's why I was 14 months I tried every trick in the book to no avail until I went to see my GP and went through the truth of my medical history , and on a lighter note for those who have no alcohol medical history then you need not worry.... simply because there's nothing there to report.....
Do you have any idea what the lowest cdt reading can be ?

Wanted to share my experience as I found this forum really helpful in the run up to Medical Exam!

I abstained from alcohol for 11 days before my CDT test, I drank 6 Gin & Tonics on the last night I drank and abstained for another week before this (so essentially 1 binge in an 18 day period)
I am a weekend drinker, meaning I 'binge' most weekends but never drink in the week. I got a CDT result of 1.1%
I am a 30 year old female, non smoker, average weight, relatively fit
I had my GP contacted due to the amount of medication I take for allergies and it was all fine so don't panic if GP is contacted unless you have a history of alcohol abuse

That's a really good result after just 11 days. The key to the CDT is time - the longer you have abstained the better chance of an excellent result. I'm now more than 13 months on the wagon, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed my own CDT will come back below 1.0%.

CJ

well got my CDT test tomorrow, been 32 days on the day, **** i hate needles lol, do you think it could be below .09%
I HATE NEEDLES TOO!! Just don't look, also take a can of sugary drink, always helps!!

I honestly couldn't say but I don't see why your result would be raised after that long off the drink!

I thought you had to get a result of below 1.0% to pass the DVLA HRO medical? The medical report seems to suggest anything up to 1.7% is fine. Can someone clarify this?

CJ

That was a private test.
The up to 1.7% is just what the Nuffield hospital class as the limit for a normal range. It has nothing to do with the DVLA criteria. Other medical groups and alcohol treatment concerns have different criteria for what is ‘normal’ as well.......

Hello there, so how come the DVLA says it's got a traffic light system for CDT levels, are you saying that's not now the case?
There is still a traffic light system for their testing, but there now appears to be 2 even lower tiers. 1.6% or less for those classified as alcohol misuse, and under 1% for those classed as Alcohol dependent. ‘Ordinary‘ offenders could still come under the original red amber green categories.......

The finger thing is testing for Gaze Nystagmus, which is a sign of impairment.
The touching of belly will be him feeling for an enlarged liver. It is usually protected by your rib cage but if it is enlarged then it protrudes into your abdomen And can be felt.

The doctor may be checking your stomach for signs of Ascites which is a condition caused by alcoholism or years of heavy drinking.

CJ

Looking for some general advice of reassurance without judgement - please remember drinking isn’t illegal but drink driving is - I Just want some advice.

basically I’ve moved house and I didn’t go back to collect old post for a while and where I actually don’t drink everyday at all I go to the gym etc I have had two “ binging “ sessions of drinking in the last two weeks due to birthdays and celebrations. They were quite heavy drinking sessions.

My cdt test is in roughly 16 days OBVIOUSLY I won’t be drinking at all during this time but I’m seriously worried that my last two weekends of over indulging are going to affect the results , I have seen posts where people admit they had some binging sessions up to the test and passed.

i just hope 16 days will be enough, I have never been someone who drinks everyday and previous to my two weekends of drinking is I’d binge every other weekend.

i think I should be ok, I expect it will be a slightly higher reading but not reach the 2.1% if I abstain for the whole 16 days? What do people think? Am I being overly anxious and worried?????

after a backpacking once I mentioned shaking and the doctor said it was due to drinking too much hopefully that wouldn’t be noted and then once after a holiday I had a stomach ulcer what they put down to alcohol and spicy food, again I hope that isn’t something that puts the Dvla off me. I have some history of depression and Anti depressant intake however in the last year or more I’ve turned around my life but I stilll like anyone my age go o it for drinks on Saturday nights and probably drink A bit too much but I’m not a bar person. I’m hoping a few binge weekends won’t ruin it for me, I could possibly try and cancel and make an excuse to prolong my time till the test?

thx for that too, he did say i was fit.... maybe a good sign, he also said he wished me well for me dvla review

Hi Paulisme

I was charged two days ago for DD. As I blew 89 I am now HRO (something I have learned from the past two days of trawling this site). I found a copy of the DD2 form that your GP has to fill in. Don’t know if it helps. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...R8030 DD2 attachment.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1.
As a new member to this site I want to thank all of you who have posted and been honest with your stories and views. I am only 2 days into this and yet have to go to court and lose my licence. I feel this site will become my aide for many months to come. Take care everyone.

Hi Paulisme

I was charged two days ago for DD. As I blew 89 I am now HRO (something I have learned from the past two days of trawling this site). I found a copy of the DD2 form that your GP has to fill in. Don’t know if it helps. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/616818/response/1476831/attach/7/FOIR8030 DD2 attachment.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1.
As a new member to this site I want to thank all of you who have posted and been honest with your stories and views. I am only 2 days into this and yet have to go to court and lose my licence. I feel this site will become my aide for many months to come. Take care everyone.
Don’t worry we’ve all been there, It seems like the end of the world at the beginning but you get used to not driving and my two years have flown by.
HRO sucks as they give you community service which is degrading however it’s the punishment and you will never consider the same mistake again trust me I will never drive even the next day after drinking. Good luck with your court day and I hope they aren’t too harsh on you.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off