CDT Test (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

Convicted Driver Insurance
You will have to complete 12 months of abstination collect 4 LFTs a last alcoholic drink date your GPs support and quite possibly a number of DVLA medicals, this process then is a lengthy one once classed as dependant and can take longer than 12 months, all this information provided is classed as your MEDICAL EVIDENCE , for me personally my case lasted 14 months and I attended 4 DVLA medicals at their convenience, be prepared for the long haul and if you satisfy all the parameters requested then and only then will a one year period review licence will be issued,......not sure about smoking as I never have.....

You can miss an appointment so long as you notify them, then you can rearrange to make another appointment usually what happens is once you apply for your licence back they will send out consent forms for you to give permission to contact the GP, once these have been signed and sent back the medical process begins, they then send you for a DVLA appointed medical with CDT and then they write out to your GP, on confirmation of your alcohol dependence they will refuse your licence until you can provide 12 months of medical evidence and all the parameters mentioned earlier, your DVLA letter will state: important information, YOU MUST NOT DRIVE, as a result of your alcohol dependence we would only accept an application from you when you can provide 12 months of abstination and you must refrain from alcohol for the rest of your life, however the first DVLA medical with CDT will become part of your medical evidence....

Just one last question;
Reason i can't sleep at night..
My last boozing session:
-15th March 2020 about 13 fosters pints in one day (football away game 😉 )
Dvla Medical:
-13th August 2020 (21 weeks,4 days after, ZERO alchool in between)

Will CTD test still pick it up???

Last edited:
Just one last question;
Reason i can't sleep at night..
My last boozing session:
-15th March 2020 about 13 fosters pints in one day (football away game 😉 )
Dvla Medical:
-13th August 2020 (21 weeks,4 days after, ZERO alchool in between)

Will CTD test still pick it up???

Five months abstinence - you should be fine.

CJ

May i ask,how does a GP knows if you're dependent? That's the bit i don't get it??
Will they go through my hospital notes and see i broken my hand while drunk 9 years ago and refuse a licence in those grounds or something??
If yes,how far back they check??

Well according to Honestman, C J 1980 and others on here, they can go back to when your born

I thought the DVLA only ask your GP if you've been to see them with alcohol-related issues in the past 3 years? Seems a bit OTT if they go back decades!

I got tested for post-natal depression 27 years ago, surely to goodness that wont be an issue

I thought the DVLA only ask your GP if you've been to see them with alcohol-related issues in the past 3 years? Seems a bit OTT if they go back decades!

I got tested for post-natal depression 27 years ago, surely to goodness that wont be an issue
What was your alcohol breath reading? If was too high maybe a doctor questionnaire referral might be 100% sure

What was your alcohol breath reading? If was too high maybe a doctor questionnaire referral might be 100% sure

It was high, but Ive never been to the doctor for anything alcohol related, and TBH I think the doctor I saw last time I went for an eye infection 6 year ago has retired now so I dont even know who my doctor is if I ever needed an appointment

Hi guys, if you have alcohol dependency documented with your GP at any time of your life then DVLA will use this against you as dependency according to kings college London is for life, with me they went back as far as 2006 when alcohol dependence was recorded with out me knowing, once you are classed as dependent by DVLA then I'm afraid you can never use alcohol again as it will state in` a DVLA letter, it was only last year they moved the goalposts dependency used to be for 3 years, now it's six years and that changed in February 19, however before that if you was classed as dependent then DVLA would allow the licence holder to have special occasion drinks until that got abused (as you can imagine ) and was stopped, DVLA are continuously looking to update their system to catch people put without notifying you, a number of drivers then went with DVLA advice to drink at special occasions and once reported on the next 1 year medical was revoked for disclosing a drink,however you can keep up to date with them with their next moves by `googling DVLA alcohol&drug minutes when they try to update every March and October, not sure now though with covid, happy reading drivers...

It was high, but Ive never been to the doctor for anything alcohol related, and TBH I think the doctor I saw last time I went for an eye infection 6 year ago has retired now so I dont even know who my doctor is if I ever needed an appointment
The Dr. can only report what they know or what they believe, based on their notes/what you have told them/what other agencies have told them. The questionnaire they are sent asks about alcohol in the last 6 years amongst other things, if nothing is relevant to the situation it won't be mentioned.

As I have said on another thread though, If say you saw the Dr. 10 years ago and were drinking a bottle of scotch a night, then you didn't see the Dr. again for the next 10 years, they would say that there were issues when they last saw you but have no recent information. The DVLA would probably then want some more up to date information such as Liver Tests from your GP.

Despite what others on here may think, GP's are not out to stitch people up. If there is a history of alcohol misuse/dependence going back decades, this is potentially relevant and the GP will possibly detail the information (to cover their own backs as much as anything). If there are skeletons in the cupboard regarding your medical history, the best option is to talk to your GP and get them to document your current situation sooner rather than later, therefore if DVLA do class you dependant/misuse you have the medical notes to help back your cause.

Well according to Honestman, C J 1980 and others on here, they can go back to when your born (if with drink in hand), but say if a doc has stated you're dependent at anytime, then you're now dependent for the rest of your life, seems rather unfair no?

Paulisme

I wouldn't necessarily use the term 'lifetime' - from the way I understand it once you first get reinstated with your driving licence after a ban they keep you on their 'alcohol dependency' books for 6 years.

This means technically you are under the DVLA's watchful eyes. It's simply a case of ensuring you pass all requested HRO medicals and definitely do not come to the attention of your GP either once you are back on the road, with anything linked to alcohol (such as an injury caused by a drunken fall).

I kind of look at the 6 years as a probationary period. Once you are clear of this period, the DVLA treat you as any other competent driver who has never been banned.

If you are unfortunate enough to suffer any alcohol problems years later, the DVLA will simply go down a potential revocation route. The DVLA can do this with any UK driver if it comes to their attention the driver in question is suffering alcohol problems.

The problem we have, as convicted drink drivers is that if worst case scenario - in 2037 we suffer a bereavement and start drinking, then have to see a doctor - BANG!!! - the DVLA has historic information about us from 2019/20 when we were in their HRO system, so bye bye driving licence again under revocation procedures.

I hope that makes sense?

My parting views are this - there is nothing to stop any of us on here from drinking alcohol again. If you can enjoy alcohol moderately and safely without any future problems then fine.

If however, you are unfortunate to have a 'blip' and you do need medical attention (again like I said, it could be an injury caused by a drunken fall), your driving licence will go quicker than Kelly Holmes, because GPs and other medical professionals are now duty bound to notify the DVLA.

There is an old saying ''If it isn't written down or documented - it hasn't happened'' - if you catch my drift. It's simply a case of NEVER coming to the attention of the DVLA with your name and alcohol in the same sentence.

CJ

Correct big Tom, however any 1st confirmation to DVLA for dependence through a GP will result in the DVLA process which is 12 months revocation and abstination followed through with your medical evidence......

The Dr. can only report what they know or what they believe, based on their notes/what you have told them/what other agencies have told them. The questionnaire they are sent asks about alcohol in the last 6 years amongst other things, if nothing is relevant to the situation it won't be mentioned.

As I have said on another thread though, If say you saw the Dr. 10 years ago and were drinking a bottle of scotch a night, then you didn't see the Dr. again for the next 10 years, they would say that there were issues when they last saw you but have no recent information. The DVLA would probably then want some more up to date information such as Liver Tests from your GP.

Despite what others on here may think, GP's are not out to stitch people up. If there is a history of alcohol misuse/dependence going back decades, this is potentially relevant and the GP will possibly detail the information (to cover their own backs as much as anything). If there are skeletons in the cupboard regarding your medical history, the best option is to talk to your GP and get them to document your current situation sooner rather than later, therefore if DVLA do class you dependant/misuse you have the medical notes to help back your cause.
Dvla posted that letter questionnaire to my GP on fri.
I wanna speak to my doctor first to see what's going on before he fills in questionnaire even my last GP visit was 6 plus years ago

Correct big Tom, however any 1st confirmation to DVLA for dependence through a GP will result in the DVLA process which is 12 months revocation and abstination followed through with your medical evidence......
I was wrongly classed as dependent, I had this overturned to misuse. I've never had any Liver tests or anything. Yes, if your notes suggest that there is dependence, and that what your GP reports and believes, then there will be 12 months proof of abstinence required.

I wanna speak to my doctor first to see what's going on before he fills in questionnaire even my last GP visit was 6 plus years ago
That medical questionarre that you refer to is a DD2, this is a very good time now to seek an appointment with your GP so he has see you before filling out the form, a lot of folk including me got refused my licence because I hadn't seen my GP in ages so therfore they can't give all neccessary information required, if you've not seen the GP in ages how an they possibly fill out all questions correctly, and there are about 20 questions most related to alcohol and some for anxiety&depression.....

I think this is a good idea Martini. Explain that the DVLA will be in contact and explain that you want to ensure that there is no misunderstanding about your current situation. Your GP should then be helpful.

I had 2 drunken falls/accidents at a nighclub in 2006,2011 both been treated at hospital.
Thats why I'm shitting my pants now, but no gp visits for many years

I had 2 drunken falls/accidents at a nighclub in 2006,2011 both been treated at hospital.
Thats why I'm shitting my pants now, but no gp visits for many years
Like I say, discuss with the GP that you had situations in the past with misuse, explain that this was well in the past and you now don't drink at all and you haven't had a drink since MMM/YY. I don't think you'll have any problems at all. The DVLA are looking at potential threats. With your GP behind you, you'll be fine!

I think this is a good idea Martini. Explain that the DVLA will be in contact and explain that you want to ensure that there is no misunderstanding about your current situation. Your GP should then be helpful.

Most, if not all experienced GPs are quite competent with communicating with the DVLA. My current GP is only young in her profession (having qualified in 2016) and is very switched on with them. Clearly, many patients have many other medical problems (non alcohol related) and I reckon our GPs deal with the Swansea lads & lasses more than we realise.

CJ

Still don't get where you got that 100 units from what i drank btw, smelly bum you! hehehe
A 75cl bottle of 13% ABV Wine contains 9.75 units of alcohol. 10 bottles = 97.5 units, pretty much the 100 units quoted to you. After this, you claim the strength of the 'hairdressers brew' you were quaffing was actually 5.5% ABV. This still works out at over 40 units.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off