CDT Test (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

Convicted Driver Insurance

Deleted member 9866

Could someone explain to me. what's likely to be my CDT reading after 2 months alcohol free. I know cdt has a long half life. Dont understand what that means

price1367

TTC Group
A half life is the time taken for CDT to lose half of its value.
The time for this varies according to which research you look at, but it is between 14 - 21 days.
So it depends what your reading was at the start of your abstaining, but after 2 months you should get a result that is fine unless you are a borderline alcoholic!

Deleted member 9866

A half life is the time taken for CDT to lose half of its value.
The time for this varies according to which research you look at, but it is between 14 - 21 days.
So it depends what your reading was at the start of your abstaining, but after 2 months you should get a result that is fine unless you are a borderline alcoholic!
Thanks for the reply.. I have no idea what my reading was at the start of abstaining..I rarely drank b4 hand. But doctor said I was dependent on alcohol.. went for a CDT test in 2019 that's when they sent a DD2 letter to my doc..probably drank once a month or so some times less than that

price1367

TTC Group
From that, you should be OK. You need a score under 1%, if you get that then it shows you are not currently drinking hardly anything, or nothing at all. Some other things can have a slight impact on the CDT score and it is (virtually) impossible to get a score of 0%

chrism2800

From that, you should be OK. You need a score under 1%, if you get that then it shows you are not currently drinking hardly anything, or nothing at all. Some other things can have a slight impact on the CDT score and it is (virtually) impossible to get a score of 0%
A member posted on here not long ago that they had a reading of 1.0 after 16 months abstinence, and another thread was posted that even a tee totalers can show 1.6,so I'm confused

price1367

TTC Group
You may be confusing what people say, and what has actually happened about abstaining......
I think the only way a teetotaller (and by than I mean a real one, not a 2 week teetotaller) produced a reading of 1.6% is if they had a severe liver problem.

chrism2800

You may be confusing what people say, and what has actually happened about abstaining......
I think the only way a teetotaller (and by than I mean a real one, not a 2 week teetotaller) produced a reading of 1.6% is if they had a severe liver problem.
Thanks for the very prompt reply,though I dont know which member put on that a teetotaller
can produce a reading of up to 1.6,and also the person who achieved a 1.0 after 16 months,so looking at 0.9 now as the set figure to achieve is contradicted by these figures...

C J 1980

Afternoon

On the topic of CDT readings - other than alcohol, is there any other types of food & drink which should be avoided before a HRO medical.

I've abstained from alcohol for over a year but I've had a LFT test done last week and my CDT reading has crept up slightly from 0.4% to 0.5%.

Is it perfectly normal for it to vary from time to time?

CJ

benpollard99

Thanks for the very prompt reply,though I dont know which member put on that a teetotaller
can produce a reading of up to 1.6,and also the person who achieved a 1.0 after 16 months,so looking at 0.9 now as the set figure to achieve is contradicted by these figures...
Hi, I think you may be referring to my result of 1% after 16 months abstinence. I haven't had one sip of alcohol since March 25th 2019. Apparently sugary fruit and even a lot of bread may affect the results according to the DVLA lady who phoned me. I was classed as misuse and they gave me my license back with that reading backed up my GPs report and DD2 form confirming my abstinence.

C J 1980

Ben

Thanks for the reply. I don't really understand the whys & wherefores of the medical science behind CDT readings - its better to just stick with good old common sense and simply not drink alcohol.

My doctor has stated that it is impossible to get a reading of 0.0% because of the natural functions of the human body. Like you've mentioned, too much yeast can increase the CDT level. Bread contains yeast which is a key ingredient in beer - therefore I'm going to ration my intake of toast & lunchtime sandwiches in the run up to my HRO medical.

CJ

danni2020

Anyone understand why you are asked if you have any tattoos?
I got asked also it’s coz apparently in the 60s tattooist used same needles on other ppl And can cause hepatitis and can affect ur liver function,am covered in tattoos thts y he asked me but has no concern as this generation is completely different with things like tht so dnt worry about it,if u hv tattoos tht is lol

chrism2800

Hi, I think you may be referring to my result of 1% after 16 months abstinence. I haven't had one sip of alcohol since March 25th 2019. Apparently sugary fruit and even a lot of bread may affect the results according to the DVLA lady who phoned me. I was classed as misuse and they gave me my license back with that reading backed up my GPs report and DD2 form confirming my abstinence.
After re reading this,then it seems dvla are happy with 1% as you have stated 16 months,This is a long time without a drink,and must be your baseline I'm guessing?

Paulisme

The DVLA medical seems to scare the hell out of people but in fact it is there to detect heavy alcohol use within the last 2 weeks or as DVLA state the last month, and of course binge drinking which can increase CDT levels and possibly be classed as misuse, if you know you have a medical to attend isn't it far better to not drink at all if you value your licence at all, however it's far too late for you to abstain now, when you say you drink quite a lot what are these drinks, beer lager cider shorts, time and time again I advise people to not drink before a medical , however if you attend your medical and your CDT is in the amber zone then prepare yourself for DVLA investigations and if red then a refusal will follow, you can cancel your appointment (due to unforeseen circumstances) and DVLA will be fine with that providing you let all know therefore buying yourself time to attend another appointment....if you do cancel then you need to abstain until your next appointment which will be weeks away.....

Hello honestman, i thought you said the DVLA always goes for the medical records now in other posts no matter what the % of the CDT test? Can you confirm this? what if you say no to all questions and it's below 0.9% as you say they want?

Honestman

Hello honestman, i thought you said the DVLA always goes for the medical records now in other posts no matter what the % of the CDT test? Can you confirm this? what if you say no to all questions and it's below 0.9% as you say they want?

Yes hi, more and more we are seeing the DVLA contacting GPs with regards to alcohol issues and I think the real issue here is DVLA are finding alcohol problems behind most drink drivers and if that was not enough they are discovering anxiety&depression issues, it wasn't so long ago that once classed dependant then you would be with the DVLA medical team for 3 years now it's shifted to six years, the DVLA system is constantly changing or moving the goal posts to make it harder for drink drivers or alcohol related drivers to be signed back on the road, nevertheless the DVLA CDT medical is there for persistent drinkers, problem drinkers and alcoholics who simply cannot go a day without a drink, and therefore a refusal will follow but just to add as a nation drink plays a huge part of normal life for many and us Brits drink far to much anyway and it's common sense that DVLA are well aware of this prompting investigation if you are unfortunate enough to be in the DVLA medical process......and if you answer no to all questions and your CDT is low mine was 0.8 (as I did) they are more inclined to investigate because the people who answer no are most likely to have alcohol issues like I did .....

Last edited:

Mart123

Ok House, I have been on DVLA line almost everyday since 2 weeks now and I am glad to say they called me back today and confirmed that they have issued me a license, my GP wasn’t contacted as it wasn’t needed and I should be able to drive after midnight. Thank you guys but thank God more 🙏🏼

Paulisme

Yes hi, more and more we are seeing the DVLA contacting GPs with regards to alcohol issues and I think the real issue here is DVLA are finding alcohol problems behind most drink drivers and if that was not enough they are discovering anxiety&depression issues, it wasn't so long ago that once classed dependant then you would be with the DVLA medical team for 3 years now it's shifted to six years, the DVLA system is constantly changing or moving the goal posts to make it harder for drink drivers or alcohol related drivers to be signed back on the road, nevertheless the DVLA CDT medical is there for persistent drinkers, problem drinkers and alcoholics who simply cannot go a day without a drink, and therefore a refusal will follow but just to add as a nation drink plays a huge part of normal life for many and us Brits drink far to much anyway and it's common sense that DVLA are well aware of this prompting investigation if you are unfortunate enough to be in the DVLA medical process......and if you answer no to all questions and your CDT is low mine was 0.8 (as I did) they are more inclined to investigate because the people who answer no are most likely to have alcohol issues like I did .....

many thanks for what i see as a great reply....

I'm extremely tired now Honestman, but i will reply tommorow and tell you what i think etc and how you have helped me in a lot of ways with that great reply...

Cheers for now

Paul
Ok House, I have been on DVLA line almost everyday since 2 weeks now and I am glad to say they called me back today and confirmed that they have issued me a license, my GP wasn’t contacted as it wasn’t needed and I should be able to drive after midnight. Thank you guys but thank God more 🙏🏼

Hi Mart, Have you been done for drink driving before? intrested to how you answered the medical questionaire mate, did you say no to everything? whay do think your CDT was?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off