CDT Levels and the DVLA Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance
Yes - this old chestnut. But with a different slant that I can't see any other evidence of on these pages.

Ok. I am due to have my DVLA medical in a few weeks. The problem is, I am going to have it knowing that my CDT levels are going to be too high.

The reason I know this is that I have had my CDT levels done via the NHS recently (Twice) and the latest is at 3.9%.

Eh? That's stupid, I hear you say.

Well, here's the thing. I have not had a single alcoholic drink since December 31st 2016. I have had a private test done (Medichecks) and my levels are low (1.6% where I would expect them to be.)

All my other counts will indicate no alcohol has been consumed. I eat healthily, I work out/run every day and I've lost weight.

Does anyone know of this situation? Any advice?

I'm going to back up my DVLA medical results with the private CDT results, a personal testimony and witness as to my abstinence and a general liver function test ... but I'm tiredly expecting that not to be enough.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

For certain you will need your GP on your side, do you visit him and can you they vouch for your abstinence, trouble is you may be diagnosed as dependant and you will need 12 months abstinence for that.

have you been given reasons for your high CDT levels other than alcohol. I have cirrhosis and that can provide high levels. I be
eive other medical problems can as well.

This link gives details of a study into raised CDT levels in patients with liver damage who are not currently drinking alcohol.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4700931/

I take it that you do have some form of liver damage, hence the reasons for your recent NHS tests for CDT.
You should point out this anomaly to DVLA when you have the questionnaire to fill in prior to your medical. The report indicates that the test can be analysed in such a way to allow for the liver damage. It may be that one test allowed for this, but the other just gave a 'raw' figure.
What is your GP likely to say to the question: 'has the patient been alcohol dependent in the past 3 years or shown signs of alcohol misuse in the past 12 months?'

For certain you will need your GP on your side, do you visit him and can you they vouch for your abstinence, trouble is you may be diagnosed as dependant and you will need 12 months abstinence for that.

have you been given reasons for your high CDT levels other than alcohol. I have cirrhosis and that can provide high levels. I be
eive other medical problems can as well.

No other reasons have been given. My GP is not the best I'm sad to say, she certainly started off believing me but now seems to wash her hands of all things "me" related. I've thought of cirrhosis but all my other enzyme levels are ok.

Worth looking into though. Thanks very much for the advice!

This link gives details of a study into raised CDT levels in patients with liver damage who are not currently drinking alcohol.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4700931/

I take it that you do have some form of liver damage, hence the reasons for your recent NHS tests for CDT.
You should point out this anomaly to DVLA when you have the questionnaire to fill in prior to your medical. The report indicates that the test can be analysed in such a way to allow for the liver damage. It may be that one test allowed for this, but the other just gave a 'raw' figure.
What is your GP likely to say to the question: 'has the patient been alcohol dependent in the past 3 years or shown signs of alcohol misuse in the past 12 months?'

Hi price1367, thanks for that rather frightening but very informative link!

I suppose I must have some sort of liver damage but I no longer know who to go to to try to prove it. My GP has said she has done all she can, signed the form and sent it back to the DVLA all with a slightly hysterical crack in her voice.

The reason I had the tests before the DVLA test is that I failed it last year for exactly the same reason. I don't trust the DVLA lab, frankly. I had been abstinent then for three months too.

My GP will probably be putting a bland non-committal "I don't know, he says he has been abstinent" to the dependency question. (I've never been dependent).

Ok - I will prepare the Questionnaire with as much evidence and info as I can.

Really, really appreciate your advice here, I've gone from feeling helpless to having a direction!

I think you need to have a diagnosis in writing from a doctor stating why your cdt levels are high even with abstinence. Then you will have to satisfy the criteria for abstinence whether that's 6 or 12 months and basically that will come from your GP.

its tough but its black and white with the dvla medical team, have you rang them and spoke to anyone? I found them very helpful over the phone.

I failed a medical and on my next application I made sure my doctor was on my side and believed me. I had a medicheck cdt test which came back as 0.9 and my gp sent that off with statement of abstinence and I was then told I had to have the full dvla medical again, fortunately out of the blue dvla rang me and said it had been reviewed and they gave me my licence back....so its not all black and white??

good luck!

Hi i dont suppose you got your licence back now if so how long did it take after your medical i had mine today

See your GP and discuss why your CDT level are so high. If your GP agrees there is a medical reason and that you have been abstinent for more than twelve months then it is recorded on your medical record and if they relay that information to the DVLA they should give you a licence.

Although the DVLA make the decision they rely on the opinion of frontline doctors and nurses and trust me, we know without a blood test whether someone is alcohol dependent or not.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off